• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 10:00 PM

Hi guys, wow a scorcher out there today, temps hit 103, 100% humidity, it was raining and not a cloud in the sky, then it turned oppressive, too hot to be in the pool, pool temp hit 90 but that was a 1 oclock i am sure it went higher, its cooled down a bit to 85 now(lucky us) but i heard the guy down the road cutting his lawn and getting some seat time, probably had to get out of the house, but its still to hot for me, i am getting up a 5 and do a little weed wacking and wake him up ha ha ha, remember in this heat stay hydrated, a few brown pops are good but will not hydrate you the same a water, gatoraid, stay cool, stay hydrated, stay healthy, by all farmer john  

• Alc, gopher, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 10:33 PM

Was 99* here today with 98% humidity. Down to a cool 79* now. Everybody stay cool and safe.

• farmer john and larryd have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,330 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 11:00 PM

Not quite as hot, but same oppressive muggy.

Doc once told me that in bad heat, you need to drink enough to keep peeing regular.

#4 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 11:05 PM

92 here an really humid and rained too boy do i like winter

#5 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 11:13 PM

On the bright side....

Took in our first boat yesterday, for winter storage. :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:

(at our marina)

• hamman, farmer john and larryd have said thanks

#6 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 11:34 PM

Heat index (invented just to glorify the weather forcasters working in air conditioned studios) here was 105º today and seemed nicer than yesterday when it was 106º...  I did "car chores" with Wifey, got a hair cut (actually all of them) and came home to do more property line trimming out.  Did about an hour and a half on the Kombi pole saw and that was IT!  Tomorrow actual temp is supposed to be 95º and who knows what humidity.  I think I'll let the TLB do all the sweatin' tomorrow!

(You know, when I was working construction in this weather nobody made any fuss about any of us guys being out in the heat... or the cold either!  Nobody cared as long as the water kept flowing and the roads were plowed bare...!  I guess the outdoor folks have "more caring" friends and relatives these days?):D

• hamman, JDBrian, LilysDad and 2 others have said thanks

#7 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 12:02 AM

yes i know what you mean, when i was working in the mills temps where usually 120 and up, one time the floors got so hot we had to strap wood blocking on the soles of our work boot to stop them from melting and we would have 2 or 3 layers of clothes on over our long johns to stay cooler, hard to believe, i remember taking off a coat and laying it down only to find that it started to smolder where there was some grease on it, now this generation wants to stop when they break out in a little sweat, by the way i have the stihl kombi 130 nice and powerful and was thinking of a pole saw for it, is it worth the money , i have a ryiobi one but want a little more power

• larryd said thank you

#8 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 05:09 AM

More hot weather today here too. Cool down coming this weekend, should be in the 70's.

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 05:41 AM

Maybe most of us are getting used to having everything a/c . Growing up all we had was window fans , when we built our house in 1982 didn't even plan for it ended up put central in later but mom didn't get window a/c's until she was in her late sixties Of course after I cut her grass last week I was sitting in the kitchen it did seem cooler then out side but was still stuffy , looked at her a/c ,,,,,  she keeps it at 85*f

:rolling:

• hamman, farmer john and larryd have said thanks

#10 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 05:41 AM

I work in a forge shop with heat treating  furnaces and forging furnaces running all day , quit the wining its not that bad LOL Yeah right!!!

I don't know how the guys do it? I can't hardly change out the brakes on the hammers when it's like this.... Dang ... I too like winter and fall better .

Keep t he fluids flowin and you'll be fine :thumbs: 

#11 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 927 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 06:55 AM

It was normal July weather here 96F not so bad here with a nice breeze.

#12 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 07:57 AM

Maybe most of us are getting used to having everything a/c . Growing up all we had was window fans , when we built our house in 1982 didn't even plan for it ended up put central in later but mom didn't get window a/c's until she was in her late sixties Of course after I cut her grass last week I was sitting in the kitchen it did seem cooler then out side but was still stuffy , looked at her a/c ,,,,,  she keeps it at 85*f

:rolling:

I was just saying this yesterday to a coworker. Seem slike now we can't go anywhere without having AC, but I could care less when I was younger.

I think it was around 100-102* with heat index yesterday, I was shaving goats last night, talk about being miserable with sweat and then goat hair all over ya :wallbanging:

• MH81, Alc, farmer john and 1 other said thanks

#13 Rodiron OFFLINE  

Rodiron
  • Member No: 39650
  • 4 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 08:00 AM

Good morning to all and after reading all the post it seems everyone is in agreement that its "scorchin" from the far north to the deep south. A lot of good advice shared this morning on staying hydrated  and taking breaks and so on. It seems kinda strange that the north is actually hotter than the south this time of the year, but I hear that ya'll be sending it to us come the end of the week, The one thing that gets to me more than the heat and humidity is fighting off the sand fleas and mosquitoes while trying to accomplish something. Seems to me the more insect repellent you use the more hydrated they get. I did hose down the yard last night with Tiger spray before coming in, guess I'll see in a few minutes if it helped or not. A good day to all and always keep a shade tree in sight.

• Alc, jms180, farmer john and 1 other said thanks

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 08:01 AM

Like many of you I have known heat. When I worked in the factory the parts washer in the paint department had 6 10" Gas burners and the Bake oven was 140 degrees making the air temp even in winter 85+(Better not to know in summer). and I thought nothing of it? But then I was 30 yrs younger then too. Our temps this week have been in the high 90's and heat index over 100. I think today heat index is supose to be 106.

Temp is supose to break this weekend?

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 18, 2013 - 08:03 AM.

• Alc, farmer john and larryd have said thanks

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 08:23 AM

Today will be our hottest of the year, and we're pouring concrete!  Luckily just 8 yards, and an easy job.  Otherwise, I'm doing as little as possible.

• farmer john, larryd and superspeedex have said thanks