Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 05:31 PM

Tractor: Bolens HDT1000

Engine: Mitsubishi K3D-61FG  (22Hp. 3-cyl, water cooled)

I ran that rascal out of fuel late yesterday.

Added some fresh diesel that I had just bought earlier in the day.

When I tried to start, it would hit for a few revs, and stop.  I kept doing that, and eventually it would run  for a minute of two at 1000 RPM, but if I gave it any throttle it would quit.

Went through that for a few cycles and it got to where it ran at 1500 for probably 15 minutes or so, and would take full throttle, but seemed to be stuttering.

I thought that maybe a new fuel filter might be in order, so picked one up at NAPA.

Put on the new filter, and now it's back to the "just runs for 10 seconds or so" and quits.

Anyone have any advice?

#2 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 05:45 PM

BLEEDING AIR FROM DIESEL FUEL LINES AND FILTERS

Farm Machinery Fact Sheet FM-01

When you change a diesel fuel filter, run out of fuel or disturb the fuel system, air is trapped. When you try to start the engine this air acts as a lock, preventing the normal supply of fuel into the cylinder.

Here are the steps to take in bleeding air from a diesel fuel system:

1. Turn off fuel valve.
  2. Clean outside of filter housing.
  3. Install new filter element and new gaskets. A little oil on the gasket will aid a tight seal.
  4. I'd suggest that you fill a spin-on filter with clean fuel before installation.
  5. Open the bleed plug on the filter closest to the fuel tank.
  6. Open fuel supply valve so that the fuel is available to the filter and pump.
  7. Most all equipment has a hand priming pump lever to pump fuel through the system and replace trapped air. (Check  operator's  manual.)  Pump  several  times until full flow, without air bubbles, escapes from the bleed plug holes.
  8. You may need to bleed filters, fuel pump and lines to the injectors.
  9. Close bleed plugs after all air is removed from the fuel tank, filters, settlement bulb, and fuel pump (only one at a time working through all bleed screws beginning closest to tank and ending at nozzles if necessary).
  10. Try the engine; if it doesn't start or runs poorly, you may have to bleed the injection line.
  11. Loosen injection lines at the injectors about one turn. The use of two wrenches will prevent the binding or twisting of the steel lines. Usually, it is enough to bleed just half of the lines at a time.
  12. Crank the engine until all air is forced out and fuel is present.
  13. Engine will start to pop on one or two cylinders.
  14. Tighten the injector lock nut one at a time to tell by sound which cylinders are firing properly.
  15. Run the engine until it runs smoothly. This will bleed the other injectors.

No attempt should be made to service the injection pump or nozzles. This requires special tools and know how. All new gaskets, O-rings, and seals will have to be replaced to prevent leaking.

I wish you luck!

Edited by anderson classic tractors, July 17, 2013 - 06:04 PM.

• OldBuzzard said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,436 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 05:51 PM

First thing to learn about diesels! Don't run them out of fuel!!!!!!!!!

• A.C.T. said thank you

#4 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 06:23 PM

OK...couple of pics.  The fuel filter is just the rectangular 'can'.  Nothing there for bleeding.

Input is on the left and output on the right.  It goes up to the injectors where there is a place that 'might" be usable for bleeding.

What say you gurus ?

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_4704.JPG
  • 100_4705.JPG
  • 100_4706.JPG

#5 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,310 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 06:48 PM

Go through the system again..  Sounds like you have moisture from condensation fouling things up.  The oly way I see to bleed to the injector pump is to loosen the input hose-to-pump connection a bit and make sure fuel runs freely to that point.  (there is usually a bleeder screw @ the pump somewhere but it isn't visible from your picture)  Once you are good to the pump tighten the connection back up (Not TOO tight now) and open the line to Injector connections a bit.  It helps to have a good battery here as you will be doing a good deal of cranking.  Be careful not to overheat the starter..  Once you see fuel coming from the line to injector connections finish as ACT says above..  If it were me I'd ditch the box filter and get a fuel bowl type as dirt/contaminants would be easily visible..  But that's just me!

Good Luck OB!

• A.C.T. said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 07:07 PM

I've never experienced that problem. Most of the new tractors are self bleeding, whatever that means! I've never run out of fuel yet to test if the self bleeding thing works or not. 

#7 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,310 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 07:18 PM

I've never experienced that problem. Most of the new tractors are self bleeding, whatever that means! I've never run out of fuel yet to test if the self bleeding thing works or not. 

This is why they engineered in that system..  The old systems were a biotch to get going once airbound or contaminated.  My neighbor's JD 650 got air bound last winter and we had a heckuva time getting it going again..  His kid ran it outta fuel and there was a bit of water in the tank to boot..  Refilled the tank with good fuel after draining the old out and the bleeding commenced..  Filled the bucket bleeding things out but we were finally successful!!   At least there isn't a foot & 1/2 of snow when he's doing it!!

• JDBrian said thank you

#8 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 08:08 PM

Well, I cracked it at that spot with the fuel pump running, and sure enough bubbles.

Started it and it ran for awhile and quit.

So, I bled it, ran it, bled it, ran it....probably a dozen times of so, and it APPEARS to be running right now.

I really need to get a fuel cap with a gauge in it.  Gonna have to take some measurements and see what I can find.

Edited by OldBuzzard, July 17, 2013 - 08:12 PM.

• WNYTractorTinkerer and A.C.T. have said thanks

#9 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 08:34 PM

Since it sits outside exposed to the elements I would almost bet you have got water in there somewhere.....

• wilberj said thank you

#10 powerstroker00 OFFLINE  

powerstroker00

• Member No: 8405
  • 669 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 10:31 PM

when I got my license some years ago, my dad drove a chevy truck with a 6.2 diesel and my mom drove a oldsmobile with a 5.7 diesel. dad was always preaching to us to NEVER run them out. I was on my way home from school one day and there he was, at the station, in his truck, hood up, and a buddys truck in front with a chain hooked up. several hours later we had it running. had to bleed from fitler to each injector. not a lot of fun!!! I was glad it was him and not me!!!! LOL !!!

#11 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 03:43 AM

All I can say to those "self bleeding" systems... when one of them goes bad you will be sucking on a gun barrel ! What a nightmare ...

On old diesels we "Power bleed them just llike car brakes , but using a high flow pump instead of a pressurized can. We have a regulator on it to increase or decrease the volume so as not to blow hoses off. I works AWSOME !! It only takes a few minutes to attach and run until all the air is out and clean fuel is circulating through the enitre system. close off the bleeders run again, to get fuel through to the return lines and walla , hit the key and it will be purring like a kitten. You just need to be sure you can get enough fuel from the tank!! This can be an issue and one that causes most of the bleeding woes . It must flow more fuel than the bleeders can let out !!

#12 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 03:17 PM

I think I'm gonna get one of these rascals.

http://www.kelch.com...-cap-and-gauge/

Sure will help.  :D :D :D

#13 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts