• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 11:12 AM

Does anyone think that spray on bed liner would work on a snow blade ?

• A.C.T. said thank you

#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 11:19 AM

Maybe on the back as a protection, but I would think on the front of the blade, it would create too rough of a texture and make it harder for snow to slide off. At least all the spray type liners I've seen, create rough/sanding texture and most are rubbery which helps stuff stick and not slide.

• boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#3 Nato77 ONLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,332 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 11:27 AM

Years ago when I worked at a trailer shop we did a few plows for the county. We didnt spray the cutting edge just the rest of the blade. It held up for a few years but eventually it started to peel off. I would think it would last a lot longer on a GT blade vs a truck blade.

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 12:18 PM

Larry it might work if you lived where the snow was dry. But your far enough south that your most likely to get snow that is on that borderline between snow and ice. Warmer temp precipitation?  I would think you would be better off with a slick finish and treat the blade with Pam or something to keep it slick and rolling off the blade.  I did not even put the blower on my 318 last winter, because all the snow we got the year before was so wet it just plugged up in the chute.

Now if I lived in Colorado where most of the snow is dry powder, I might try the bedliner on a blade.

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 17, 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#5 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 12:50 PM

Does anyone think that spray on bed liner would work on a snow blade ?

I used to sell snow plows, spreaders, etc.  Spray on bedliner would tend to cause the snow to stick, and it wouldn't tend to curl off as easily.  I'd recommend a thin sheet of plastic-polypropylene, or polyethylene. Or, you can use the old standby--WD-40 in a pump spray bottle, or even diesel fuel, helps slick up the blade.

Large snowplows are made with solid poly blades with steel frames. They don't really reduce the weight of the blade, but snow slides off of them a lot easier, so your machine won't work as hard.

FWIW,

Smitty

• JDBrian, sacsr, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 01:24 PM

Thanks for the info Smitty. Larry, I tried painting my blade and it just scraped right off the first time I used it. I have a gravel driveway so the blade has a lot of rocks and dirt getting ground against it. I was trying to find a piece of plastic like Smitty is suggesting. They used to sell them for ATV blades but I couldn't find any locally. You might try ATV suppliers to see if they have anything you could adapt to your blade. Smitty, is this type of plastic available from plastic suppliers or is it something special. 

• larryd said thank you

#7 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 01:59 PM

I was of kind of thinking along the same thoughts as the rest of you but I thought I would ask to see what kind of answers I'd get.

Thank you

larryd

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 06:07 PM

Larry, I did it and the results werent bad. Couple of thin layers, After it dries I sprayed it with PAM.

#9 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 06:41 PM

What I do:

I Make sure I don't plow until I know the blade is at ambient temperature. (Don't warm up the tractor with the blade facing the sun.)

The spritz with WD-40 (also on all the frame parts and moving parts) is my favorite "treatment".

I angled my fancy chrome exhaust deflector so it won't heat up the back of the blade.  It used to make my snowblower (back in the years I still needed a snowblower:D) ice up inside the auger housing.

So who will be the first to patent the "Snap On Plastic Snow Blade Cover" and make a million inflated dollars off the internet?:D

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#10 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 07:32 PM

Thanks for the info Smitty. Larry, I tried painting my blade and it just scraped right off the first time I used it. I have a gravel driveway so the blade has a lot of rocks and dirt getting ground against it. I was trying to find a piece of plastic like Smitty is suggesting. They used to sell them for ATV blades but I couldn't find any locally. You might try ATV suppliers to see if they have anything you could adapt to your blade. Smitty, is this type of plastic available from plastic suppliers or is it something special. 

Nothing special.  Just find some high density polyetylene (HDPE) or polypropylene sheet. It doesn't even have to be one solid sheet--just make the seams vertical--though this might allow water to get trapped between the plastic and metal blade... make sure you paint the metal well before you put the plastic on... Do a Google search for sheet plastics... we just bought some for work, but I can't remember the name of the company right off...

Smitty

• JDBrian said thank you

#11 cubcadetguys OFFLINE  

cubcadetguys
  • Member No: 25428
  • 7 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 07:53 PM

I would think bed liner the snow would stick. I used automobile wax the last 2 years. Its works good for me.