4 replies to this topic

#1 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 08:47 AM

Hello I haven't been on the fourm in a while ... But just Recently I have been having some issues with a Kohler 18 hp Vtwin it runs allright but could be better there is a Unburnt fuel/ Stink smell all the time and it Ticks like a Mechanial tick it has allways done it seince we got it then some times is goes away has all kinds of throttle response and the smell goes away yesterday i got it on its Good day Was Running Amazing NOT A SOUND was coming from the motor (its not my tractor so i have never heard it like that but he said it runs like this here and there) Both coils are Good Carb is clean Exaust is good New plugs Air cleaner 10-30 Oil With Lucas I have done Everything but it still runs funny I am thinking there is a Bad Lifter but I am not sure Where should i check next I pulled the valve covers and it look pretty good nothing bent and no slop Anywhere else i could look?

• JDBrian and larryd have said thanks

#2 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,320 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 12:46 PM

Hard to say what your trouble is..  If you had a bent push rod it would be quite noticeable as you would most likely be running on one lung..  I believe you may be on the right track with checking the valves..  Check the valve lash when you are in there..  Don't know how?  A service manual is my friend and here is a link to get one for your engine:  CLICK HERE!!  Read up on the valve repair procedure and look up your clearance specifications..  The biggest thing I would do is to read the spark plugs..  What do they tell you about how the engine is running?  The color and condition of them will give you a good indication on where to go next..

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 03:38 PM

WNYTT, that's exactly what I thought as well the valves.  Recently I had an Exmark mower come in complaining about some times it would run great and other times it wouldn't.  I found the choke cable clamp loose so the choke butterfly was going where it wanted.  You may have something similar with a loose nut or bolt.  Make sure all your valve adjusters are locked down.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#4 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 06:30 PM

It was the lifter.. I took all of them out to bleed and that one was Bone dry not a drop of oil in it so I went against the manual and Filled it with oil Before installation Ran Awesome shut it off and start it again Tic tic tic .. So it needs a lifter 

• HDWildBill said thank you

#5 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 02:26 AM

More Issues !! picked up a Cv15 just for the lifters put them in and still tick tick ... It was full when it was put in empty when took back out there is 40 psi oil pressure I am not sure is that is on the low side anyone that has a kohler command twin with a oil pressure gauge can you check the pressure for me? the next thing I think is its not getting Full flow and pressure to that lifter