19 replies to this topic

#1 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 08:56 AM

Got this off EBay yesterday. My first Cub Cadet. kinda rough I know but, if I can make it run, I think it would be a good plow tractor.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I believe it's a 147 frame notched for the 14 horse engine. But, the tag on the engine says K301 (12horse). It wouldn't fit in the frame without the notches? Where is the serial number plate located on this machine?

Thanks,

Joe
  • larryd said thank you

#2 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 11:04 AM

Looks like a great project gt

larryd

• Rock farmer said thank you

#3 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 478 Thanks
  • 314 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 12:21 PM

That should make a nice project.  I dont know why the tag on the engine says its a 12hp and the frame is notched.  The 14 was the only one that needed the notch as it was bigger than the others.  Its possible someone changed it at some point.  The serial number for the tractor should be on a tag on the left side of the rear end next to the rear cover.  Its probably covered in paint.  Hope this helps.     Stewart

Edited by diesel nut, July 16, 2013 - 12:24 PM.

#4 collinmf12 OFFLINE  

collinmf12
  • Member No: 10011
  • 114 Thanks
  • 197 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 03:46 PM

It's a Kohler you'll get it started.

#5 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted July 17, 2013 - 09:18 PM

Thats definately a 147 fame and might still be a K321 in it.  Like has been said the 147 was only notched to allow the engine to fit and by hte looks of your last photo the flywheel shroud just barely fits as it is.  Plus the grass screen on the flywheel looks like a 14HP and not a 12 so I would bet you do have a 321.  It is very weird though that the tag is on there the way it is and looks to have been there for a very long while.

#6 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 07:00 PM

Thanks for the info!
So, I wanted to decarb the combustion chamber before attempting to start it, any way, so, today I pulled the head and measured it. 3.50 bore 3.25 stroke. So, it is a 14 horse with the wrong tag on it! Valves and piston moving as they should. No movement on the points. I need to look into that further. Hopefully just the push rod stuck in the out position. I removed the starter/generator to bench test it. I jumped it with a 12 volt battery but got no response! I have two others, one Wheelhorse, one Simplicity. But, the are both run off the flywheel side. So, clockwise spinners? Where as cub uses counter clock wise rotation on the pto side? Anyone else do that?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Thanks!

Joe. ( ya, lots of carbon! )

#7 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted July 19, 2013 - 04:44 PM

That looks like a it will be a nice 147. I always wanted one of those. I hope it doesn't smoke with all that carbon.The points may be way out of adjustment; causing no movement.

#8 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,325 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 03:26 PM

I would put a straight edge across that head to see if it's warped.Either the head was loose or it's warped.You can see where the head gasket was leaking on both the head and the block.

If is was leaking,that would of caused alot of the carbon build up.

Carbon deposits will swell up and flake off in an engine if it sits unused for a good while.It may not smoke at all once you wire wheel it off real good.

How's the cylinder bore look?

The starter genny may just need to be cleaned up and a new set of brushes.They're easy to work on and parts are pretty cheap and available.

Edited by EricFromPa, July 20, 2013 - 04:29 PM.

#9 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted July 20, 2013 - 08:39 PM

The carbon scrapped off real easy. But I think the piston is too loose. Either the rings are compressed. Or, they are worn. I'm thinking I need to do a ring job on this. And while I'm at it a valve job. The wiring harness is toast! So, I've got time!

I also have to replace the starter/generator bracket. It looks like I have to remove the pto and starter pulley to do that?
The cylinder bore looks good. But, it may be tighter at the bottom than at the top.

So, the fun part was, I went to seven stores today looking for paint. I found one spray can of school bus yellow from Dupli color. And one can of "Old ipliment yellow" by Krylon. Fortunately, TSC had a quart of I. H. Yellow.
I think I may buy an HVLP gun and try that!

Joe

Edited by Rock farmer, July 22, 2013 - 06:03 PM.

#10 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 08:33 AM

I also have to replace the starter/generator bracket. It looks like I have to remove the pto and starter pulley to do that?

You shouldn't haveto. Usually the bolt is short enough that it will come out without removing the clutch basket and PTO.

#11 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 06:56 PM

You shouldn't haveto. Usually the bolt is short enough that it will come out without removing the clutch basket and PTO.

I backed the bolt out until it hit the pulley. Then it jammed the pulley.
I pulled the engine. It has a lot of piston slap. I think it may need to be re-bored.

Joe,
image.jpg
  • LTD said thank you

#12 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,325 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 04:36 AM

That's the curse of all old K series Kohlers.

I've always wondered why they ate they're own bore.The old cast iron Briggs,Wisconsin and Tecumseh engines don't do that.

Edited by EricFromPa, July 22, 2013 - 04:38 AM.

#13 jdlbz OFFLINE  

jdlbz
  • Banned
  • Member No: 40134
  • 10 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 06:52 AM

That's the curse of all old K series Kohlers.

I've always wondered why they ate they're own bore.The old cast iron Briggs,Wisconsin and Tecumseh engines don't do that.

yea cause the briggs and Tecumseh never ran long enough before blowing up lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

#14 powerstroker00 OFFLINE  

powerstroker00

• Member No: 8405
  • 669 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 06:30 PM

100_0752.JPG 100_0754.JPG 100_2673.JPG nice looking 147. my son has one with the electric lift, of course its missing though. when we restored his 1200 we used ppg Omni single stage paint. it tur100_0853.JPG ned out great.

#15 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 07:31 PM

So, today I removed the front PTO from the engine. Everything came off ok. Someone had been in there before. Now I'm down to the drive pulley. I removed the two set screws. And now I need to remove the pulley. It does not wont to move! Amy suggestions?

.image.jpg