• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 trackcar OFFLINE  

trackcar
  • Member No: 15296
  • 26 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 10:04 PM

Sounds like your main jet is partly plugged up and the fuel pump is weak.

I just put a carb and fuel pump kit in my Craftsman II GT18 and a new starter gear on the starter.Sounds like your having the exact same problem that I was having.

This is the Kit that I got.Complete with Fuel pump rebuild kit.

http://www.ebay.com/...76e7f40&vxp=mtr

I have a '88 or '89 Sears with Twin Briggs, did the same thing. It got to the point carb was so clogged wouldn't even hardly run with choke on. I bought rebuild kit for like $20-25 and she runs pretty well now.

I put a new fuel line filter on (start back and work my way up) and no luck. Cleaned off the outside of carb to see what I could see. In the closest manual available(my guess) the 917.255915 the carb looks to be identical as the engine model numbers are the same as mine. So a rebuild kit will be next in line. Might get it local if I can and when I get to it I will make a report. In the meantime, it was mentioned the main jet was clogged. Will I need to disassemble to check this?  I've never rebuilt a carb and don't want to mess anything up.

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,343 Thanks
  • 28,648 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 10:15 PM

Do you have a model number on the carb?

#18 trackcar OFFLINE  

trackcar
  • 26 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 10:26 PM

Do you have a model number on the carb?

I looked but didn't see one and the manual doesn't show one(I think). I know some carbs have an ID tag on them. I will look closely in am.

• MH81 said thank you

#19 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,312 Thanks
  • 2,340 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 03:59 AM

Morning. There is a plug on the left side of the carb,near the bottom (looking at it from the PTO side) take that plug out to access the main jet.It takes an Allen wrench to take the jet out.Make sure that you get one that fits correctly and take it out and clean it up.

Don't ream the hole out.If you do it will run rich and it will ues Alot more fuel.I found that out the hard way.My 18hp briggs uses as much fuel as a big Onan does now lol

just give it a good cleaning.

Once it clean put it back in.Don't torque it in just make sure it's nice and snug.

Edited by EricFromPa, July 22, 2013 - 04:04 AM.

• MH81, trackcar and Phluphy have said thanks

#20 trackcar OFFLINE  

trackcar
  • 26 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 11:08 AM

Morning. There is a plug on the left side of the carb,near the bottom (looking at it from the PTO side) take that plug out to access the main jet.It takes an Allen wrench to take the jet out.Make sure that you get one that fits correctly and take it out and clean it up.

Don't ream the hole out.If you do it will run rich and it will ues Alot more fuel.I found that out the hard way.My 18hp briggs uses as much fuel as a big Onan does now lol

just give it a good cleaning.

Once it clean put it back in.Don't torque it in just make sure it's nice and snug.

:worshippy1:   Thank you all!! Eric my starter is sound, just a battery issue(fixed) so far. I got it running with the throttle working after I cut out the choke. Found the main jet and cleaned it. It had a little blockage, but I could see thru it. Cleaned it and inside also. Seems it could have more power from the throttle, maybe an adjustment, but it works!  Works with PTO/mower deck engaged also. Thanks again to all!

Edited by trackcar, July 22, 2013 - 11:09 AM.

• MH81 said thank you