21 replies to this topic

#16 dthomp17 ONLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 09:43 PM

I need a fuel tank for an SS16 I have--it came without one... I'm not trying to steal this sale from you, but what did you use for your homebuilt???

Smitty

Smitty, I tried my best to find a decent used tank at a reasonable price on ebay but all that I found cost at least $50 or more and most of them needed additional cleaning or some kind of repair.  Couldn't see spending that much money on a used tank and possibly end up with something that couldn't be repaired or that needed constant repair.

For my homebuilt, I used 1/16" thick diamond plate sheet aluminum only because that's what I had available.  Regular 1/16" aluminum sheet would probably work better.  I cut out the pieces, bent where needed with a sheet metal brake, and then put it all together with aluminum pop rivets and "alumiweld" that I bought at Harbor Freight.  Using "alumiweld" you can sorta weld aluminum with a map gas torch but it's tricky and takes a good bit of practice.  For the gas line connection, I drilled and tapped some 1/4" thick aluminum bar and "alumiwelded" to the bottom of the tank.  After assembly, I had to go back over some of the seams again to fix some small leaks.  I got most of the leaks fixed but I finally had to use some epoxy gas tank repair for one of them.  I've been using the tank now for about a year without any problems.  If there are any more leaks I haven't found them.  I've got a few pictures I took during the process if you're interested.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#17 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 09:50 PM

I need a fuel tank for an SS16 I have--it came without one... I'm not trying to steal this sale from you, but what did you use for your homebuilt???

Smitty

Gas tank on the Sears looks decent on the outside will check it tomorrow..

On the home built I used a tank out of a junk Ariens that was parted out a few years ago can't remember what model it was.

#18 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 02:58 PM

Does it have a decent gas tank?  I've got a homemade one that's working OK but kinda looking for an original.

Smitty

Gas tank  looks in decent shape inside and out. Doesn't leak and is not bent up.  How about $10. Shipped to your door ?

Attached Thumbnails

• ss tank.jpg

• MH81 said thank you

#19 dthomp17 ONLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 06:40 PM

Arti, I sent you a PM regarding the gas tank including my shipping address.

#20 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 10:44 PM

Smitty, I tried my best to find a decent used tank at a reasonable price on ebay but all that I found cost at least $50 or more and most of them needed additional cleaning or some kind of repair.  Couldn't see spending that much money on a used tank and possibly end up with something that couldn't be repaired or that needed constant repair.

For my homebuilt, I used 1/16" thick diamond plate sheet aluminum only because that's what I had available.  Regular 1/16" aluminum sheet would probably work better.  I cut out the pieces, bent where needed with a sheet metal brake, and then put it all together with aluminum pop rivets and "alumiweld" that I bought at Harbor Freight.  Using "alumiweld" you can sorta weld aluminum with a map gas torch but it's tricky and takes a good bit of practice.  For the gas line connection, I drilled and tapped some 1/4" thick aluminum bar and "alumiwelded" to the bottom of the tank.  After assembly, I had to go back over some of the seams again to fix some small leaks.  I got most of the leaks fixed but I finally had to use some epoxy gas tank repair for one of them.  I've been using the tank now for about a year without any problems.  If there are any more leaks I haven't found them.  I've got a few pictures I took during the process if you're interested.

I'd like to see them--probably other members of GTT as well.  Why don't you start a new topic with it?

Thanks,

Smitty

• MH81 said thank you

#21 Golden Hurricane OFFLINE  

Golden Hurricane
  • Member No: 38187
  • 16 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 10:49 PM

Utah Smitty, my '77 Roper/Sears GT needs a selector lever knob...I believe that the hole diameter is 3/8"...either red or black if you still have one of them. I know this is no big deal...just asking.

#22 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted August 19, 2013 - 11:32 AM

Arti, got my blades and on. Even though one was mis-matched, they all looked like they still had factory sharpening and tractor is cutting the best since I got it!

Thanks!!!

• Arti said thank you