• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Jagman OFFLINE  

Jagman
  • Member No: 40532
  • 25 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 07:43 AM

I've had my LGT145 for about 15 years. It has always started and run great, except for the time it threw a balance gear about 6 years ago. I removed them, rebuilt the engine and it has been its old self until a few weeks ago when it just stopped in mid-mow, like it was running out of gas. Yes, it had plenty of gas. I shut the blades off and idled down. I let it sit for a minute or so, revved it back up and was off again. This happened again several times, with around 15-20 minutes between occurrences.  The tractor has a 14HP Kohler engine with no fuel pump. This is what I have done to try to fix the problem. Cleaned the carb, cleaned the gas tank filter, added new fuel, checked and reset points, changed spark plug, condenser, coil, checked all wiring. It is acting like a fuel problem but I'm running out of ideas. One more thing. Yesterday when it stopped on me after about 15 minutes, I shut off the blades and the engine was surging at high speed but not at idle and once or twice it died altogether but would start and run fine after letting it sit for a half minute. Sorry to be so wordy but I'm at my wits end. HELP

• boyscout862 and larryd have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,802 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 08:17 AM

Welcome to GTT fellow CT resident. Two weeks ago my Ford 4500 was acting similar. It turned out to be a constricted fuel line. In the past year, in eastern CT I've seen damage to fuel systems on several tractors that I suspect was caused by too much methanol added to our gas. The rubber fuel lines disintegrated and pieces block passages. Are you going to Zagray next weekend? Several of us are planning to meet there. Relax and enjoy the site. Check out the free manuals. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, July 15, 2013 - 08:19 AM.

• larryd said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 10:13 AM

It still sounds like a fuel problem. A few basic checks are always good when a stubborn problem like this happens. I've learned that sometimes these symptoms can be caused by an ignition problem. I'd check the battery voltage to make sure it's charging properly and also verify a good connection between the engine chassis and the battery - terminal. I'd give the entire ignition system another once over looking for bad connections and also give the points a quick check. I have seen them shift and throw off the timing. A marginal spark will cause lots of symptoms. I like to check these things thoroughly because I hate tearing carbs apart. Good luck getting it sorted out.

• larryd said thank you

#4 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 01:01 PM

How about coil getting to hot.
But I agree it still sounds like a fuel problem

larryd

#5 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 01:29 PM

It's a long shot, but, the ignition key switch could be getting hot? It's about the only thing you haven't tried!

Joe
  • JDBrian said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 05:05 PM

It's a long shot, but, the ignition key switch could be getting hot? It's about the only thing you haven't tried!

Joe

If you check the voltage at the top side of the coil it will show you if it's a bad connection in the ignition circuit. The coil voltage will drop due to the added resistance. I don't trust those old ignition switches either. 

#7 Jagman OFFLINE  

Jagman
  • 25 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 06:34 PM

Thanks very much for all the thoughtful comments - you have given me plenty to check out. First, I think I'll take the filter off the top of the tank valve and replace it with an in-line filter in a NEW fuel line. If that doesn't work, I'll go back through all the electricals and report my results. Rick, what is Zagray?

Alan

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 07:03 PM

Welcome to the forum, Alan!  I had a similar issue with my FF 20 this afternoon. Just died on me. Finally figured out I had crimped the fuel line as I put it back together. New fuel line may be a big help, at least I hope!

#9 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 08:09 PM

Zagray farm is a big tractor show in ct. There is a post on it over in the events section. Just search for "Zagray Farm Summer Show July 20 &21"

Joe

#10 Jagman OFFLINE  

Jagman
  • 25 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 01:01 PM

Bummer! I didn't check this post until just now and the show is over in an hour - and I'm just down the road in Bolton. Oh well, there's always next year. Thanks for the tip.

Alan

#11 rpickle OFFLINE  

rpickle
  • Member No: 37050
  • 12 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 07:19 PM

How hot was it when you were mowing?  Do you buy 100% gasoline or does it have ethanol in it?  Supposedly, ethanol gas is more succeptable to vaper-lock.  Just a thought.

#12 Jagman OFFLINE  

Jagman
  • 25 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 07:14 AM

Regular with Ethanol as I have forever, and from several different batches. Still dying on me. Sometimes after 10 minutes and other times half hour or more. My latest attempt at a fix included -  drain and clean out fuel tank; remove in-tank original filter from pet cock and replace with an in-line filter on new gas line; take carb apart, blowing out all orifices, checking needle valve and float, reset all adjustments. With the petcock wide open, I expected to see the filter fill up, but gas just dribbles in and the filter stays only about 1/8 full, even when running. Lots of bubbles present in the filter. The engine has died while gas still shows in the filter. Lots of engine surging when it sounds like it's going to stop and I click off the blades. If I idle down, it will usually stop altogether. Wait a few minutes and it starts right up, only to repeat the cycle. It just seems like a gas problem but I'm running out of ideas.

#13 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,802 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted July 30, 2013 - 11:23 AM

Disconnect the fuel line at the carborator and run it into a clean can. Crank the engine over and see how much pumps into the can. You may have a fuel pump that is failing. There should be plenty of gas to the carb. If there is, the problem is in the carb, if it is a fuel problem. Good Luck, Rick

#14 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 10:09 AM

try running it with the fuel cap off.  The vent may be plugged.

#15 Jagman OFFLINE  

Jagman
  • 25 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted August 03, 2013 - 07:20 AM

Rick, I have no fuel pump, it just drains by gravity to the carb. My next move is to replace the needle and seat even though they looked OK when I recently disassembled and cleaned out the carb.