• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Kyburley OFFLINE  

Kyburley
  • Member No: 39787
  • 12 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 09:09 PM

I recently got a massey 10 and from the get go its had carb problems it will only run with choke on half way if choke is off if spits and spuds and dies. I took its apart cleaned it all out with cleaner. Put back together adjusted it. cleaned tank filled back with clean gas pored some sea foam in tank.got it to run decent enough to mow my yard. It's been parked for a week got on it today started fine mowed about ten min and it started back to spitting and spuddering again. I'm thinking I might can get by with just a carb rebuild kit. Or do you all think it needs a hole new carb? Also while I had it running good before it acted up this last time. When it's running its either wide open or idle. Your can ease the throttle up but it will go wide open.while throttle is half way up. Is that just the way it is with these motors or........help please. I hope I put this post in the right place I'm a newbie on this site sorry if its wrong.
  • MH81 said thank you

#2 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,298 Thanks
  • 2,332 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 09:39 PM

Sounds like your governor needs to be reset 1st off.

Do not blow out the fuel inlet unless you want the little rubber needle valve seat to fly out.You'll never find it if it does fly out.Make sure that your float doesn't have a hole in it.Easy to check,just shake it,if it's sounds like there's fuel in it then it's shot.
Set your float correctly.
Make sure that you take out the low speed needle and clean out Both the Primary and secondary Idle discharge jets.They are commonly overlooked.

Here's a good little manual for the Tecumseh LME carbs. Pages 8-14 And governor adjustments on pages 18-20

http://gardentractor...-engine-manual/

I just got my Sears custom 10xl running perfectly with just a heck of a good cleaning.HH100 with LME carb.Torch tip cleaner tool works beautifully for cleaning jets.Take your time and clean Everything.You can't rush a good cleaning.If you do you'll have to take it back apart later and do it again.

Make it spotless and it will run.

Edited by MH81, July 15, 2013 - 07:27 AM.

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#3 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 09:48 PM

Sounds like your governor needs to be reset 1st off.

Do not blow out the fuel inlet unless you want the little rubber needle valve seat to fly out.You'll never find it if it does fly out.Make sure that your float doesn't have a hole in it.Easy to check,just shake it,if it's sounds like there's fuel in it then it's shot.
Set your float correctly.
Make sure that you take out the low speed needle and clean out Both the Primary and secondary Idle discharge jets.They are commonly overlooked.

Here's a good little manual for the Tecumseh LME carbs. Pages 8-14 And governor adjustments on pages 18-20

http://pwp.bellsouth...Information.pdf

I just got my Sears custom 10xl running perfectly with just a heck of a good cleaning.HH100 with LME carb.Torch tip cleaner tool works beautifully for cleaning jets.Take your time and clean Everything.You can't rush a good cleaning.If you do you'll have to take it back apart later and do it again.

Make it spotless and it will run.

Nice info Eric...Thanks!
  • Kyburley said thank you

#4 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 09:57 PM

Eric has you covered on this one! And I'll add if you aren't sure if it is clean enough, go over it again! Good luck :thumbs:

#5 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,298 Thanks
  • 2,332 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 10:35 PM

Tecumseh carbs are very very picky about even the slightest bit of dust,dirt,hair or even that little bit of white glazing you get from it not being cleaned in a while.

I've used many chemicals in the past to clean a carb but None even come close to a good old fashioned manual cleaning.Small wire tube brush kit and a torch tip cleaner kit and about 1-2 hours of your time and it will be like new.

Here's what I use.

!CDgWP-g!mk~$(KGrHqIOKnUEz1)bkvt)BNO0,S5

$(KGrHqVHJFQFHZM7fTljBR4pzfUw,!~~60_57.J

I did have luck cooking a couple in an oven with spray on oven cleaner.But you really have to watch that you don't ruin the carb.Some oven cleaner is very acidic.

• Alc and Kyburley have said thanks

#6 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 01:32 AM

As Eric said, get the float set correctly. Very critical too. I've had 3 or 4 that

acted strange, until set exactly as spec'd. I believe it's 11/64" gap. A 32nd

in either direction, will make a difference. Also, make sure the 2 gaskets at the

mount are good, and that the flange ears haven't been bent. Sucking air there

is also a possible reason for it to act up.

• Alc and Kyburley have said thanks

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 07:30 AM

First, :welcome: to GTTalk. Thanks for joining.

Second, I agree with all above. Sounds like a little gunk in there again... But where did it come from?
When you get it cleaned up and back together I would put a good, new, inline filter on it.

#8 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 07:37 AM

Good info in the above posts.    Although I have a Sears, it is still a Tecumseh HH100 and the same types of problems.  I haven't got all the bugs worked out with my carb yet but when I have some spare cash to spend, I plan on taking it back off and replacing the throttle shaft and maybe a service jet all at once. Right now, it is running well enough to work.

Keep us posted on your progress with this problem. It could help me and others too, I am sure.

• IamSherwood and Kyburley have said thanks

#9 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,298 Thanks
  • 2,332 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 02:29 PM

These guys will rebuild your carbs if your not up to the challenge.

http://www.carbrescue.com/intro.html

lol check it out,GTTalk is on they're links page.

http://www.carbrescue.com/links.html

#10 Kyburley OFFLINE  

Kyburley
  • 12 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 09:00 PM

thanks for all the help guys. i stripped the carb all the way down there was more dirt nothing real bad but i took my sweet TIME and  cleaned with carb cleaner and brushes and torch tip cleaners i replaced the inline fliter put on new gaskets and set the float gap according to manual.also found that the letters stamped on the choke flap were turned around backwards  letters were faceing towards inside of carb.i never touched that before just happen to notice it was wrong acording to the manual so i put back the way it needs to be witch might not even matter.i reset the govner to factory specs,put on new spark plug new battery old one wouldnt take a charge.hit the key never choked and she fired up and pured like a kitten.the throttle now works as it should.(move throttle up a little motor revs alittle higher) i mowed hole yard and never missed a lick runs as it should, once agian a great big thanks for all the tips for each and everyone of you wonderfull fellers!!! i will try to post a few pick of the tear down if computer will act right

• MH81, IamSherwood and robert_p43 have said thanks

#11 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 09:10 PM

Great news. Glad you got it dialed in.

Good catch on the choke plate. I'm not sure what difference that makes, as I've never

paid attention to that, but it must be done like that for a reason.

Happy mowing. :thumbs:

Looking forward to the pics.

#12 Kyburley OFFLINE  

Kyburley
  • 12 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted July 23, 2013 - 07:49 AM

I posted what pics I have of the rebuild. I hope the crop is right and they don't get posted upside down but if they do some one please fix for me.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

#13 NYMalloys OFFLINE  

NYMalloys

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 126
  • 28 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted July 26, 2013 - 09:56 PM

Glad that you got it running. Be careful when removing the nozzle on these Walbro LME carburetors. The factory original nozzles were inserted into the carburetor body and then drilled out. The replacement nozzles have annular rings machined in them with many holes drilled so that one will align when reinserted.  Reinserting the factory original and getting the carburetor body hole to line up with the nozzle's is just random chance. Unfortunately there are no longer replacement nozzles available for most of the older Walbros including the one's in HH100's and HH120's. So without knowing whether the carburetor has the original or a replacement already, nozzle removal might be risky.

• MH81 said thank you

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 07:07 AM

Another thought. If you flipped the butterfly, it is best to put a little lock tight on the threads, many engine has had them work loose and suck in a screw... And that's bad. Take the ten minutes to do it so there's isnt much chance of it ever happening.