4 replies to this topic

#1 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 06:03 PM

So here is today's problem:  I just bought a Mastercraft rider, which I expect was made by MTD, with a 12.5 hp Tecumseh and a 38" deck.  I cannot figure out what causes the seat switch to close.  I think something is missing, or maybe it has the wrong seat mechanism.  Does anyone have a photo or description of what the part looks like and how it mounts?  

1.jpg 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 08:38 PM

There's probably a lever of some sort that jams the two contacts together.  I think that's the way the old MTD I used to run as a lawnmower worked.  I can't tell you more than that, though.  Take the MTD number off and see if you can find an IPL.

Ben W.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#3 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 01:31 PM

Sometimes the simplest thing to do is the least obvious, at least for me.  Yesterday, I was looking at a Yardworks rider  (MTD 148-802-515) that is sitting my to-be-repaired line.  It also has the spring style seat switches.  Not sure why I didn't think of that earlier.

6.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,655 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 07:16 AM

I have a switch thing that is a spring steel support that bolts under seat towards the back, between the springs I'm thinking. It's ends are bent up some and it moves the center when the seat sets down on those ends and it flexes and pushes on the switch mounted on it in center. Clear as Mudd?  You can have it if you think it will work for you. I'll try to remember to dig it out and take pix. Not sure what it might be for, but was on one of my basket case tractors and not really for the brand it was on I don't think.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#5 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 07:52 PM

...  You can have it if you think it will work for you. I'll try to remember to dig it out and take pix. Not sure what it might be for, but was on one of my basket case tractors and not really for the brand it was on I don't think.

Thats for the offer, but they are about $5 new.  It would cost more than that in shipping.