Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 09:01 PM

Volunteered to work today as both runs the bosshole had just happened to go right by an estate auction of a fellow I knew that collected engines. 

The family was buying back most everything to the point people quit bidding.  I picked up these Bolens wheels/tires and with the drive gear mounted to one it looks to be from a Hi-Boy.  Several years ago I saved a Hi-Boy from the grinder that doesn't have wheels or tires but I doubt thats where these will wind up going. 

Son-n-law of the deceased started the pile of three tires with wheels at $1.

I bid $2.

Son-n-law bid $3 and when the auctioneer came back to me I bid $10 and that was all she wrote!  :D

These tires have virtually no weather cracking!  The matching pair are 400-12 Firestones with the old style continuous tread.  

The other tire is 600-12 Firestone Champion that is just as nice - although the rim is toast from both rust and modifications.  Someone has cut the five bolt center out and welded in a three bolt center.  That rim is also rusted out badly around the valve stem hole. 

My only other purchase was a Continental engine like used on the David Bradley two wheelers except it has a wind vane governor.  Supposed to run but been sitting for several years and needs points filed. Gave $11 for that one.  Co-bidder was son-n-law.   

I spent exactly two hours at the auction so I wrote "2 hour lunch" on my time card when I got back to the office. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 002.JPG

• Bolens 1000, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 09:33 PM

Want to double your money, I will give you $20.00 for the pair and you can keep the single ! :D

Very nice buy, Way to go !! :thumbs:

• Gtractor said thank you

#3 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,647 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 09:58 PM

I think the pair of 4 - 12s is from a 12A Power Ho. Could be wrong though.

No matter what they're from its still a great deal.

You have something to put them on or would you get rid of them?

#4 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,448 Thanks
  • 3,998 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 03:12 AM

great tire profile!

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 06:43 AM

Well, Kris, I guess that two hour lunch was well worth the time!

It is aggravating, though, when the family decides to bid on the machines all over again. 

Ben W.

#6 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 08:17 AM

I think the pair of 4 - 12s is from a 12A Power Ho.

You have something to put them on or would you get rid of them?

You are correct about the 12A!  The sproket is closer to the wheel lug flange than it is on the Hi-Boy.  I had a decent 12A but it needed tires and I knew I wouldn't buy new tires for it so I gave it away earlier this year.  :(

Still, I have plenty of projects around here that could utilize the tires.

• Nato77 said thank you

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 10:26 AM

If the family wanted all the stuff, why bother having an auction?

If I have my way, when my parents have their auction, my stuff will be relocated and I will be in a little booth marked "info" telling people as much history as i can remember and completely ignore the auctioneer.

#8 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,634 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 07:37 PM

Friday I just wanted to play with an engine.  Getting one running that has sat dormant for a couple decades is what makes my blood flow. 

I went out to the engine building and started looking around.

HMM,  Here is a Continental that I don't believe I've ever had running.  Can't remember where I got it for sure -  almost positive it came from an auction....

I can see a mouse nest in the flywheel fins and the engine appears to be seized.  This thing has a yellow gas tank and I kind of remember something about that tank.  I remember carrying it a long ways to the truck when I bought it.  Almost positive it wasn't stuck at the time.

Look at other engines a while.

I want to play with this Continental. 

AHHH,  Startin to remember now.  Bought some very nice garden tractor tires at that auction too.  Only have 5 Continentals so its all coming back to me now.  I can tell you exactly where every one came from but the purchase price is getting away with the years.

Take it up to the shop.  Gas tank is spotless inside.  Remove shroud and it looks like the mouse gave up before the nest got much more than a start.  Pull the flywheel and the coil looks brand new and clean.  Points surface is dirty so they got a polish job and some oil on the little felt that lubes the plunger.  Flywheel has two mangnets.  One seems very strong and the other is weak - not nearly the pull of the first one. 

Remove the head.  No rust what-so-ever - cylinder looks good.  Reinstall the flywheel and now I have something to grab onto.  This engine didn't have the rope cup so it never was really stuck - just couldn't get a decent grip to turn the pulley on the PTO side.  

Oil the cylinder and spin the engine over.  She sparks and although its not really the blue I like to see, it'll throw spark a good distance.  Spun it over with the cordless drill and the spark is consistant.  Valves need a good cleaning but should be OK as they are for now.  Scrape out the carbon and put it back together.  Full of good looking oil I added some gas and wrap the rope. 

Fired up first pull - I cheated and gave it a drink of carb cleaner.  With some minor adjusting of the carb it runs perfect.  Not even a puff of smoke.  I'm happy as can be.

Come inside and check GTT because I remember posting about the tires I bought at this auction. 

Sure enough!

According to post #1, I was correct about where I got the engine and now I have proof of the price I gave too.  :dancingbanana:

Engine is a AU7 with air vane governor.  The AU8 in the background is just there because I stole the rope cup off it so I had a way to start this engine. 

AU7.jpg

• Bolens 1000, KennyP, Lauber1 and 2 others have said thanks