John Deere - 111

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mattsse OFFLINE  

• Member No: 40455
  • 21 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 08:07 PM

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and would like to thank everyone for welcoming me in!  I have a john deere 111 and I had a couple questions, I only paid about $100 for it and she runs good, but I have two issues.  

-  The engine seems a bit underpowered on this tractor, if the grass is slightly damp or about 6" tall I notice the blades slow down and nearly stop, the grass is pushed over more then it's cut, the engine doesn't seem to bog down.  Should I look  at some new belts?  Anything else come to mind?

-  Also this tractor goes SLOW, even in fifth gear it's a pretty slow machine, reverse is worse, just crawls along (maybe I'm just impatient LOL).  Also in fifth gear it kinda hitches when you're driving, kind of like it slips here and there.  I think fifth gear is missing a tooth or two.  Do you think it's worth fixing?  I found another 111 without an engine, I can probably get it for $50 or so, just not sure if it's worth the effort.

Thanks for any advice!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,379 Thanks
  • 3,958 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 03:25 AM

First of all Matt,    :welcometogttalk:

Edit: I didn't read your 1st topic here in the forum - the time lag... :smilewink:

I'm sorry, that I can't answer most of your questions. The price was good and the price for the second 111 is as well, too. If you sell some parts the money will be back again.

I've two different OM's but they are written in german. If you want them, please pm me.

Edited by jd.rasentrac, July 14, 2013 - 03:29 AM.

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,455 Thanks
  • 7,345 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 05:20 AM

Welcome to GTT. I am working on my JD 111 now too. The fuel pump failed. From your symtoms, I would say your tractor needs: a good tuneup, the blades sharpened, and the drive belt inspected. You can download the Briggs and Stratton Manual for free from our "MANUALS" section. Follow it for the tuneup. You can remove the blades and sharpen them with a file. Be sure to balance them. Before starting to play with the blades, remove the spark plug. This will prevent the engine from starting while you are working on the blades. While you are under there carefully inspect the belts for the deck and to the transmission. I wouldn't replace them unless they are bad. Good Luck, Rick
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,633 Thanks
  • 8,518 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 11:46 AM

Matt Welcome to GTt.  As I read your post I thought of the same things as Rick did. Follow his suggestions but I would add when you pull your blades pop the deck belt off the spindles and turn them by hand and see how the bearings feel and how the spindles look under the deck.  Down here the 110 & 111 spindle bearings are notorious for going out and usually take out the spindle housing as well. 

When you do your tune up also do a complete service as well.  Let us know what you find.

• boyscout862 said thank you