• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 05:49 PM

A 3/4" hydraulic line started to leak on my Ford 4500. NAPA was $100 for a new one. I passed because these need to be replaced as a set of 6. I checked several places on line and found the hoses at Surplus Center for $32 each. That is a $400 savings. I ordered other hoses too.  

I wanted to point out to everybody that shopping around can save alot of money. I still will need to replace hoses on three FELs this year. I expect that I will be ordering from Surplus Center a couple more times. They also have a wide range of other parts including seats. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc, gopher, chris m and 3 others have said thanks

#2 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 06:43 PM

I had to replace all the lines on the FEL of my Massey Ferguson 202 Work Bull. I brought them all to Rhode Island Harvesting, They made me up all new lines and only charged me $120. I thought that was a great deal too.

• boyscout862 and LilysDad have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 07:33 PM

Up here in Canada Princess Auto will custom make lines for no charge as long as you buy the fittings and line there. I've had a few made there and they did them while I was browsing in the store. Good service and prices. They even have a setup that cleans the lines by driving a wadding like material through the line to clean out any dust or residue from manufacture of the hose or parts. 

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 08:34 PM

Hydraulic hoses have never been cheap, but I think what you found, Rick, is one of the better sources.  Let us know how it turns out.  I have a guy locally who makes them for fairly decent prices. 

Ben W.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 09:47 PM

....  I have a guy locally who makes them for fairly decent prices...

:ditto: Last one cost me $18. less than 2' long, 1/2" diameter. New swivel ends.

.. I passed because these need to be replaced as a set of 6.

Why all 6? Dad had an old saying; "as long as the air and fluid are separated, it must be good." In other words, as long as what is supposed to be inside: is, then good to go. Let the hose do it's job, a few cracks won't hurt anything.  :smilewink:

We only replaced a hose on a machine once it leaked, got many years out of "ugly" hoses. :thumbs:

Edited by Bmerf, July 13, 2013 - 09:55 PM.

• boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 05:06 AM

Bmerf, the hoses are routed together through several tight areas. They flex alot because they go from the valves to the boom. The hose that is bad is in the middle and will take a couple of hours to get it out(even with the special crows foot I bought). It will take less than an hour to get the other three out. I've had this TLB since 1984 and found that these hoses go fairly close together at around 10 years. Its been 11 years since I replaced them. After I've replaced all of the backhoe hoses, I'll test it out. If they are good, I'll order a set for its' FEL.

I would have rather bought the hoses locally but I couldn't see spending that much extra. With the 4500 down, I'll work on some other projects this week. Soon as its fixed I'll go back to picking up firewood. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, July 14, 2013 - 08:45 AM.

#7 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 09:05 AM

I didn't realize they were routed through the inside of the boom. :wallbanging:  Much easier to replace all at once. They make a plastic sleeve that wraps around the hose and keeps them from rubbing, allowing them to last longer.