Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Backups.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 11:26 AM

I thought I would just throw this out for food for thought.  As a lot of us have mentioned quite often, you need to have backup of your important files, pictures, music what ever is important to you.  You just never know when something is going to happen to your computer and/or the hard drive.

So what I thought I would mention is choose carefully what method you are going to backup your files.  The reason I say this is that most backup programs use an algorithm to encrypt and compress the files to be backed up.  So that means you need to use the same program when you go to restore.

If you are going to reinstall the same OS, say Win 7 back on your pc and you used Win7's backup no problem you it should restore fine.  But if you are going to change your OS then the backup program you used may not work on that OS.

An example would be you are using Windows and your computer dies, the mother board fails.  You look around and a Mac catches your eye, reliable, no viruses to contend with, etc.  So you buy a Mac and you get it home and go to put your files on it only to find out that the backup program you used is only for Windows and they don't make a Mac version.  You are now up the provable creek.

I personally prefer backup programs that simply copy the files from one drive to another when scheduled, or a simple copy and paste.  Some of these Web based backups will work with multiple OS's.

Another caution is if you use Win 7's native backup and you need to move that backup from one PC to another you may not be able to do it because when Win 7 takes a back up it takes an image of the full OS and then M$'s pirate prevention software kicks in.

Also check your backup every once in a while and make sure your backup media is still functioning and that you have good backups.  I learned this the hard way even after years of working in IT.

• olcowhand, hamman, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 11:37 AM

Wow HD, that was a very well thought out ,concise, and technical thought you just posted.......to bad I am so computer iliterate that I only understood something about FOOD ! LOL I'm not that computer savy but I don't and should back up my files. Just don't know how yet. Guess I should ask my 14 yo grandson. Thanks. Roger.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 11:46 AM

Roger the simplest way to backup your files is simply highlight the files you want to backup in the file manager and then paste them over on the media you are going to use, external hard drive, thumb drive etc.

• hamman and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#4 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 12:33 PM

I don't use backup software myself. I have always formatted the backup drive and just copied the files over. With my Mac I buy Windows backup drive, and reformat it for Mac and use the built in Mac program.
  • hamman and HDWildBill have said thanks

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 01:21 PM

I do believe my latest hard drive failure & restore issues prompted Bill's thread here.  If so, then my problems will have served a great purpose.  Great post Bill!

• hamman, KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#6 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,310 Thanks
  • 4,660 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 02:15 PM

I have 3 copies of all my important files and refresh the copies bi-monthly..  A MB failure fried a HD and I lost years of info..  That taught me the hard lesson..  A 64 gig thumbnail, my wifes laptop and my old information is also on CDWs..  The more copies you have the better.  Organization of your data also helps you to update only the new stuff and you won't be re-writing old stuff over and over..   :wallbanging:   Just the new stuff..  I relabel things yearly and monthly as I store data and updating my B/U's a snap.. :rocker2:

• hamman and HDWildBill have said thanks

#7 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 04:17 PM

I got my bridge from my failing hard drive hooked up to my older PC, and I am burning all my files & pics as I type.  Not getting caught with my pants down again!  I also need to get some large thumb drives. 

#8 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 04:17 PM

I use "Click Free", automatic, backs up daily.  Plus flash drives every yearly for pictures, pictures are also placed on external hard drive.  ~~  Lowell

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 04:21 PM

I do believe my latest hard drive failure & restore issues prompted Bill's thread here.  If so, then my problems will have served a great purpose.  Great post Bill!

Your right Daniel, I figure if the info can help others why not.  And it is important, I hear so often "How can I get my _______ pictures, documents off the there" after it is too late. You do loose your HD with out a back up you can put a Linux Distro in your CD/DVD drive and set you BIOS to boot off it first and you can boot into Linux and retrieve your files as well.  That is something, I believe, only Linux and BSD can do.

• olcowhand and ducky have said thanks

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,434 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 06:17 PM

I keep a copy of my files on the laptop and the thumb drive. Ain't gonna loose them again!

• HDWildBill and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 07:58 PM

On my 3rd DVD, but almost done!

#12 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 09:21 PM

WooHoo...got all my files copied, then burned to DVD.  All my stuff is safe!

#13 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 11:12 PM

I use multiple layers of protection.

First: I do not store any important files on the hard drive that has my OS.  Those are all stored on 2 separate hard drives.  If for some reason my OS pukes all over itself, and I need to reinstall it, I can do so with no worry about losing files that I wanted to keep.  I even have protection against an OS failure, but that would get into some REALLY geeky stuff. :D :D :D   Just suffice it to say that I currently have 6 separate operating systems on my 'System hard drive".

Second: The TWO separate hard drives are run in RAID 1 mode.  That means that the OS sees them as one drive and it writes information to BOTH of them at the same time.  If one fails the other is still intact.

Third: For the really, really, REALLY important files, I use my ISPs free backup.  It gives me space on THEIR server to store files.  With that, even if my system gets totally destroyed, my important information is off site and safe.

Fourth: While not really a true backup, I have a 32 GB Flash drive that has all of my GT stuff on it that I use when I'm on a road trip in the motorhome.  That allows me access to pics, manuals, etc. when I'm posting while on the road.

• olcowhand and HDWildBill have said thanks

#14 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 12:00 PM

Wow OB!  That is quiet a setup.  Using a RAID is probably one of the best and easiest ways to have your files backed up.  I should do something similar.

For those who don't know what a RAID is here is an explanation of what OB is talking about with a RAID.

#15 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 03:26 PM

I have considered a raid unit myself, but what I ave isn't that important.

Besides I would go with at least a Raid 3 unit.

Edited by Amigatec, July 14, 2013 - 03:26 PM.