• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 01:00 AM

First I want to thank everyone, the knowledge and willingness to help is by far the best I've seen on any site! with that said here we go                                                                                                             1) Both of my ford have the same model number  09jc3336,  the most I can find on line ( most likely due to my total computer impaired ability ) is the model was built from 1-77 until 12-83 the serial numbers are 2673 and 2844. I was told when I bought them ones an 81 the other is an 83. Both are lgt165's  and I just want to be sure. " wish the kid was here it'd take him 2 seconds to find the info"          2) Both of my ford have the 165 decale located in different spots one between the stripes on the sides,the other is back toward the bottom by the peddels. Is this a way to tell what year the tractor was made with out memorizing all the model and serial numbers?  If it was a chevelle I could tell ya what year it is from a half mile away, "alright 10 feet" I tried  :D                                                                          3) Finally, and thanks for bearing with the new guy,  are the fuel pumps a mechanical type or are they a gravity fed mechanical assist ?  I've tried to start the tractor but it dosen't seem to be getting fuel. First I checked for spark and after a little WD on the neutral safety switch she was just a cracking. When the spark plug was out I put my finger over the spark plug hole and it seem like she had pretty good compression "no compression tester" I put in 2 gallons of fresh fuel and then took the small bolt out of the bottom of the fuel bowl and drained the stale fuel out, and emptied all the fuel out of the lines. Then reattached and cranked and nothing " I know what your thinking, I opened the petcock" :smilewink:   so I checked the fuel pump by pulling off the fuel line out put side. Gas was pushing thru the pump,and when cranked would pump.So with all this said it leads me to assume that the needle and seat are probably gummed up and not allowing the gas to work it's magic.  I know I'm second guessing myself and the local shop has the same advise "Could be a number of things, just bring it down and we'll take a look at it' Can you believe they called her IT!!!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  did take some pictures of the blues today will post, as soon as the kid gets home from work.                                                      thanks again to everyone 

• hamman and tinbender7 have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,735 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 01:17 AM

The serial number on the engine is the way to tell what model year it is. Kohler has a detailed engine serial number/year built chart on their website.

• hamman, tinbender7 and T Guiles have said thanks

#3 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 02:35 AM

I don't think I've ever seen the decals on the side of the hood any other way than "FORD" towards the driver. With "LGT" inside the white lines next to "FORD". And "165" down on the front lower corner, just above a rectangular reflector.

It's not unheard of for someone to lose those side panels. Maybe yours have been repainted or replaced with a set from a Jacobsen?
It dosn't really mater what year it was manufactored. I believe All closed sides were the same.

Joe
image.jpg
  • hamman, tinbender7 and T Guiles have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 03:13 AM

I agree with Joe on the decal placement. And Cat has the best way of figuring the year, as there is no serial # list by year that I know of.

As for the no start issue, sounds like the carb is in need of a good cleaning. I don't think the pump should be letting fuel thru when it's just sitting there. Do you have good spark?

• tinbender7 and T Guiles have said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 05:09 AM

The Kohler K series have a mechanical fuel pump. My guess is the carb is the problem. I'd try squirting some gas in the carb throat and see if it tries to run. It's generally a requirement to pull the carb and clean or rebuild it if the tractor has been sitting for any length of time. Those are a very nice tractor and well worth investing time and money. 

• tinbender7 and T Guiles have said thanks

#6 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 12:04 AM

Posted up some pics tonight so you all can see the location of the decals, and I honestly don't think their was a repaint on either. One was a barn kept tractor until about a year ago, least that's what the seller told me, and the other looks so original and unmolested,even has the fiber glass material on the inside of the panel? I'm stumped, take a look and let me know what ya all think.  Kenny she's  got good spark and I'm sure about the carb needing a good cleaning I got rushing a little and wanted to hear her pop. probably go out tomorrow before work and pull the line off my other tractor and see if the pump reacts the same way, should of thought of that before.    Joe where's York? I spent 4 years off and on in Limestone.                                                                                         once again thanks to everyone for sharing the knowledge with me

#7 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 04:44 AM

York is the very southern end of the state. Just outside of Portsmouth New Hampshire. Couldn't get any further from Limestone and still be in Maine!

Joe
  • T Guiles said thank you