Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Does Anyone Know Of A Gt Rock Picker Implement?

implements

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • Member No: 17146
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 02:22 PM

Good Day Everyone:

I'm still not done the bucket loader; close but not quite.  Anyway, I am wondering if anyone has heard of a rocker picker for a GT?  I have about half an acre to pick rocks out of and don't relish the thought of doing it by hand.

I have tried a landscpe rake.  It really didn't do too well. 

My thought was to make a picker attachment to go on the front of my bucket loader.  A series of tines spaced about 1 and a 1/2 inches apart, the full width of the bucket.  I'm thinking something like the rock pickers for the big tractors.  Something that'll dig in a little but the dirt will fall through and the rocks will accumulate in the bucket.

Thanks for any input you might have,

Jeff

Edited by Watchdog, July 12, 2013 - 02:29 PM.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,825 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 02:29 PM

I also have a LOT of small rocks in my garden.  Your approach is exactly what I figured would work best.  I figured to make the tines a good 3' long, but spaced only 1" apart, tines being flat metal bars, laid on edge.  BUT, to make it work much faster, a vibrator of some sort needs to be attached to it.  I figure a hydraulic motor with a purposely out of balance pulley would do fine.  Once too many rocks accumulate, simply drive to end of garden & dump into a trailer.

• IamSherwood and Watchdog have said thanks

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 02:38 PM

Here is a thread on a home made sifter. It wasn't designed for rocks but should work about the same.

http://gardentractor...alking-tractor/

• Watchdog said thank you

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 02:49 PM

Instead of having tines on the front, would it work better if the entire bottom, or just a portion of the bucket was a grate of some sort? The biggest problem is that you need a whole different bucket for this. With tines on the front, you would have to have the bucket tipped forward quite a bit for them to dig in, and I am not sure if the rocks would collect in the bucket. I could be interpreting your guys' ideas wrong.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 03:08 PM

I'd have a close look at whats available for larger tractors to see what the current thinking is on this type of implement. Maybe you could scale down to a GT sized implement. 

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,825 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 03:20 PM

Instead of having tines on the front, would it work better if the entire bottom, or just a portion of the bucket was a grate of some sort? The biggest problem is that you need a whole different bucket for this. With tines on the front, you would have to have the bucket tipped forward quite a bit for them to dig in, and I am not sure if the rocks would collect in the bucket. I could be interpreting your guys' ideas wrong.

My idea wouldn't have any bucket, just tines, but would have sides and a backstop.  Just scoop up a full tine of dirt, tilt tine set rearward, hit the vibrator, dirt falls out, rocks work toward backstop of tines.  Once too many rocks build up, dump, then do again....and again, and...........

#7 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,781 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 03:25 PM

My thought was to make a picker attachment to go on the front of my bucket loader.  A series of tines spaced about 1 and a 1/2 inches apart.

That is pretty much the way they are built for the skid steer machines.

#8 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 04:17 PM

Depends on the size of stones that your trying to dig out.LOL These teeth were used on my Massey 1655 just couldn't find any pics of them on the 1655.Anyway this is what these little tractors are capable of doing.The teeth are now used on the MF GC 2300.

Attached Thumbnails

• Digital camera pictures 156 (Small).jpg
  • Digital camera pictures 157 (Small).jpg

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,473 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 05:18 PM

Nice job on the rock. What you were able to do with that small a tractor is impressive.

#10 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 05:30 PM

My idea wouldn't have any bucket, just tines, but would have sides and a backstop. Just scoop up a full tine of dirt, tilt tine set rearward, hit the vibrator, dirt falls out, rocks work toward backstop of tines. Once too many rocks build up, dump, then do again....and again, and...........

When I first read your post before, I read 3" not 3' and that is what confused me. After you explained it a bit more, I can see that it is pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

#11 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 07:01 PM

Depends on the size of stones that your trying to dig out.LOL These teeth were used on my Massey 1655 just couldn't find any pics of them on the 1655.Anyway this is what these little tractors are capable of doing.The teeth are now used on the MF GC 2300.

Hey massey driver, that it quite an accomplishement.  I think that rock probably weighs nearly as much as the machine that dug it out.

I can always count on our GT people to provide great input without criticizing what is maybe a hairbrained idea. Thanks!

Jeff

Edited by Watchdog, July 12, 2013 - 07:01 PM.

• IamSherwood said thank you

#12 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 08:16 PM

Hi.

You're not far from these guys. You may want to go over there with a tape

measure, and see what they're up to.

I've been looking at their stuff online, because I'm kicking around the idea

of building a brush grapple, for my B2710 Kubota.

#13 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 12:03 AM

if you were from around here i would suggest trying an old potato digger since there are a few floating around 

#14 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 06:46 AM

I was wondering are you going to clear the area for lawn or a garden ? Would it be better to have different size spacing if you have larger then say softball size rocks get them out first then go after the smaller ones ,the ground would be loose and maybe less clumpy idk just a thought

#15 Watchdog OFFLINE  

Watchdog
  • 132 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 11:20 AM

Thanks for all the great input, gents. 

As it turns out I don't need the rock picker anymore.  My wife and I did it with rakes and my loader bucket.  She wasn't interested in waiting for me to build something else . . . I can't imagine why? So we started early yesterday morning and raked everything into wind rows and then scooped the rows up with my loader bucket.

Well I tried to scoop it up, but as the rocks accumulated in the bucket it weighed the bucket down, causing it to dig in.  This really bothered my wife, so I spent the next three hours shovelling rock into the loader, then driving the tractor to an area where we need fill and dumping it.  To her credit, she tried to do some of the shovelling, but it was too much for her.  She wouldn't drive the tractor because it doesn't have forward and reverse pedals like her John Deere riding mower.

I did more to the loader, so I'll update that post soon.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Edited by Watchdog, July 16, 2013 - 03:55 AM.

• Alc said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: implements