LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,598 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 04:08 PM

There are a couple of restaurant in Iowa called the Iowa Machine Shed. Around Des Moines, I believe. They're like Cracker barrel only better. Better food, better atmosphere. They park antique tractors outside and make you drink out of canning jars. Now they are in Illinois. Rockford for one.

• johndeereelfman, jdelfjunior and twostep have said thanks

#32 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,479 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 05:17 PM

Instead of your average food options, what do you think about just doing an ice cream/soda shop? Hand dipped hard ice cream like vanilla bean, chocolate, teaberry, mint chocolate chip, and others, plus home made waffle cones. Old fashion sodas like root beer, coke, saspirilla, birch bear, cream, and black cherry, with options of adding flavoring like vanilla and cherry. Get some of the old sundae glasses and red top bar stools with the chrome bases, and make the serving counter like an old western saloon with two or three of the old countertop mounted ten cent record machines, and a mirror on the back wall of the display. 

Mmmm, this just might work. I'm starting to get some design ideas and for some reason, I can't help but get excited! :dancingbanana:

Edited by johndeereelfman, July 12, 2013 - 05:18 PM.

• jdelfjunior and twostep have said thanks

#33 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,584 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 05:38 PM

Troy, I can see it now.....you're working on a GT, have a customer wanting an ice cream cone, and you handing him a cone with your greasy hand print all around it!   Now that's true GT atmosphere!  :bigrofl: 

• KennyP, johndeereelfman, jdelfjunior and 1 other said thanks

#34 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 06:21 PM

teaberry

Mmmmm, teaberry!
I thought I was the only one that liked teaberry.
  • johndeereelfman and jdelfjunior have said thanks

#35 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 06:32 PM

Whats a teaberry? About the ice-cream - Troy you can always wrap the cones in a shop towel to keep the grease off them. 

• johndeereelfman and jdelfjunior have said thanks

#36 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,479 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 06:33 PM

Troy, I can see it now.....you're working on a GT, have a customer wanting an ice cream cone, and you handing him a cone with your greasy hand print all around it!   Now that's true GT atmosphere!  :bigrofl: 

Come on Daniel, give me some credit. I'd at least spray my hands first with carb cleaner, before I'd dip the ice cream.

• jdelfjunior, twostep and superaben have said thanks

#37 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,479 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 06:39 PM

Whats a teaberry?

It's the best ice cream flavor you'll ever have! :thumbs: Trouble is trying to find it anywhere. The flavor is kind of like frozen pepto-bismol.

Edited by johndeereelfman, July 12, 2013 - 06:39 PM.

• jdelfjunior said thank you

#38 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,598 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 06:51 PM

Teaberry? You'll sell more if you call it AXLE GREASE.

Did you notice that someone posted a thread about the Orange County Choppers? It featured photos of their showroom. They showed more clothes and accessories than bikes. Their are way more people wearing Harley T shirts than actually riding them.

Edited by LilysDad, July 12, 2013 - 06:55 PM.

• hamman, JDBrian, jdelfjunior and 1 other said thanks

#39 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 05:03 AM

Teaberry? You'll sell more if you call it AXLE GREASE.

Did you notice that someone posted a thread about the Orange County Choppers? It featured photos of their showroom. They showed more clothes and accessories than bikes. Their are way more people wearing Harley T shirts than actually riding them.

Branding and merchandising is huge money for HD.  I think JD has been doing this for many years. My local dealership is at least 1/3 merchandise  including toys, clothing and household stuff. Then they run an Outfitting store out of there with a wall of guns and ammo hunting gear etc. The Tractors and other JD equipment get maybe 1/2 of the showroom. You need to diversify to be successful these days. The more things you can offer under 1 roof the better chances of making $$$. 

• Alc and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#40 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,249 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 06:51 AM

It's the best ice cream flavor you'll ever have! :thumbs: Trouble is trying to find it anywhere. The flavor is kind of like frozen pepto-bismol.

They make it in gum too. Great flavor.

It was popular back when Blackjack gum was. I get it once in a while for something different. Never seen Ice cream, have to look.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#41 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 12:01 PM

Have a friend who has an ice cream shop. Opens spring, summer and fall closes in the winter. Use the winter to do a lot of you restoration work?. Uses mostly high school help in the shop since it is a seasonal business. Put a few coin operated children rides outside for another profit center
Opens a garden center in the spring only- each business helps in the slower times
Key is keeping cash flow coming in all the time.

As you have found most people do not understand cost and time to restore one. To be on that arena, you would need to become the expert in that field. Good enough.that people would pay you for that knowledge.
Troy you have a gift with words and a lot of knowledge on JDeeres and restoring tips and procedures. How about writing articles for Internet and paper magazines for money? Maybe a way to supplement your income and help you get more exposure for doing restorations. There are people willing to pay for the skill, I just think it is limited and you have to figure out a way to reach that target market.

Good luck on which ever path you choose to take!
  • MH81 and johndeereelfman have said thanks