3 replies to this topic

#1 Alc ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,278 Thanks
  • 6,482 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 05:47 AM

My wife always asks me why we have great tasting lettuce in spring but when summer comes we don't have  any , right when the tomatoes and peppers would make a nice salad . I know it doesn't  like hot weather so I'm going to try planting in the raised beds that get afternoon shade .  Right now I have seeds started in the basement so I should have a week or so before transplanting or longer if I use the grow lights . Is there anyone that has had good luck growing lettuce with it when it's hot ?

• daytime dave said thank you

#2 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 06:22 AM

Yep I grow it in the house and have good luck. I use Florescent lights to grow it indoors. I use bulbs with a rating of K6500 so I get more blue light from them.

Just grow it in the basement., run the lights on a timer with it on 18 hours a day. Put the light as close to the plants as possible.
  • daytime dave and Alc have said thanks

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,137 Thanks
  • 2,269 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 06:27 AM

When I start my lettuce in the garden, I always put a board over the seed bed until the plants get big enough that they can stand on their own.  The board protects the seeds and young plants from the sun as well as getting washed out in a heavy rain.  It also helps keep the seed bed moist.  When I feel the plants are big enough (between 1 and 2 weeks) I take the board off.  I like to take the board off in the evening after the sun is off of them to give them a chance to be on their own before the sun comes up again.  I also built pvc pipes in the shape of an L that I bury beside the seed bed.  The horizontal pipe has very small holes in it to allow water to seep through.  I simply fill the pipe till its full and the water gets down directly to the roots.  Give them some water above ground after the sun goes down.  More times than not this works.  If you get really scorching sun during the day, there may be nothing you can do.  I assume you are talking leaf lettuce here and not head lettuce.  I guess I should have asked that first!

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 10:00 AM

We plant consecutive leaf lettuce crops in 3 week intervals. That way we have fresh new leaves coming along all summer. It likes partial sun.