LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,651 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 07:29 AM

In Odlen Times, it was bragged by bikers that you could fix a H-D with just a screw driver and a crescent wrench.

Do any of you have a tractor that you could fix that way(more or less)?

• hamman, larryd and JRJ have said thanks

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 08:15 AM

I am not well educated in bikes, but I think it's safe to say that tractors have more moving parts, counting attachments anyway. Without attachments is a different story though. On a Power King I would say that about 90% of it is held together with 1/2" or 9/16" nuts and bolts. I could also argue that since they don't break... You wouldn't need any tools. Lol!

As long I don't have to keep switching between Metric and SAE I don't really care what I have to get out though!
  • hamman, LilysDad, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 08:32 AM

I suppose it is possible for a lot of things? But I sure would hate to have to. I remember my dad telling of overhauling a 34 Chevy with a set of end wrenches when he was 15. But I'm sure he would not even consider it now. 

Speaking of the Harley Guys, I remember a guy I worked with in the factory. He sneered a lot at the guys with the 750 Honda's. Bragging that his Harley was a 1947 model and those Honda's would be junk long before they had that many years on them. One of the Honda guys said" Bob you put $3,000 in that Harley every year, I won't put that in my Honda in all the years I own it".

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 10, 2013 - 08:36 AM.

• hamman, JDBrian, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#4 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 10, 2013 - 09:01 AM

I've pretty much done it on my "63" Cub Cadet. But on the Harley they forget to tell you about praying a lot also. :thumbs:

• LilysDad, larryd and Sawdust have said thanks

#5 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,727 Thanks
  • 4,286 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 09:05 AM

In Odlen Times, it was bragged by bikers that you could fix a H-D with just a screw driver and a crescent wrench.

YES!!

• larryd said thank you

#6 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 09:50 AM

Sorry I don't buy that,  There are to many Torx screws, and Allen head's to deal with.  You have to have a Torx to get the primary off, Handle bar switch cases, brake calibers etc.  It takes an Allen wrench to get the starter off.  Plus if you go by the H-D service manual there are quite a few special tools.    Maybe the old Pan's or Knuckleheads you could do that with.

I have seen some of the really old bikers (years ago) be able to break down the top end along side the road and fix what ever the problem was and put it back together in short order. But they had a tool kit with them.

I suppose it is possible for a lot of things? But I sure would hate to have to. I remember my dad telling of overhauling a 34 Chevy with a set of end wrenches when he was 15. But I'm sure he would not even consider it now. 

Speaking of the Harley Guys, I remember a guy I worked with in the factory. He sneered a lot at the guys with the 750 Honda's. Bragging that his Harley was a 1947 model and those Honda's would be junk long before they had that many years on them. One of the Honda guys said" Bob you put $3,000 in that Harley every year, I won't put that in my Honda in all the years I own it".

If he had a '47 Knucklehead it was worth 3 times what the Honda's were  and worth putting some $$$ into it.

• LilysDad and larryd have said thanks

#7 JDBrian ONLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 11:15 AM

You still see a few of those original generation CB 750's around. They are now a classic of sorts!

• LilysDad and larryd have said thanks

#8 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,651 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 12:28 PM

Maybe the old Pan's or Knuckleheads you could do that with.

Yes, that is olden tymes. Remember, 'OldSchool' is really leather saddle bags with fringe and 23 taillights.

Edited by LilysDad, July 10, 2013 - 12:31 PM.

• DougT and larryd have said thanks

#9 JD DANNELS ONLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 12:38 PM

Sorry I don't buy that,  There are to many Torx screws, and Allen head's to deal with.  You have to have a Torx to get the primary off, Handle bar switch cases, brake calibers etc.  It takes an Allen wrench to get the starter off.  Plus if you go by the H-D service manual there are quite a few special tools.    Maybe the old Pan's or Knuckleheads you could do that with.

I have seen some of the really old bikers (years ago) be able to break down the top end along side the road and fix what ever the problem was and put it back together in short order. But they had a tool kit with them.

If he had a '47 Knucklehead it was worth 3 times what the Honda's were  and worth putting some $$$ into it.

No arguement there Bill!! Bob and a friend owned a Chopper Shop(he worked in partime) and he was always modifying something on that Knucklehead.

It was a nice bike!! 

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a Harley. But have had to chose between a tractor or a bike.  In Iowa unless your a masochist there is a limited window in which to ride.  40 yrs ago I might have and have ridden on ice but hope I'm a bit wiser now?

• HDWildBill, LilysDad and larryd have said thanks

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 04:15 PM

No arguement there Bill!! Bob and a friend owned a Chopper Shop(he worked in partime) and he was always modifying something on that Knucklehead.

It was a nice bike!! 

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a Harley. But have had to chose between a tractor or a bike.  In Iowa unless your a masochist there is a limited window in which to ride.  40 yrs ago I might have and have ridden on ice but hope I'm a bit wiser now?

I understand completely.  Down here we can ride pretty much year round if we want to but as I get older and older I no longer want to deal with cold and/or wet weather.  It is always funny over on the harley forum, you can tell when winter is setting in the post count jumps drastically. :smilewink:

• LilysDad said thank you

#11 Lmiller3358 ONLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,333 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 04:24 PM

I  had an old Oliver Cle-Trac before, if you weren't dealing with the tracks, just about took a screw driver and crescent wrench to fix it,,, nowadays  I get messed up with my S.A.E and metric pliers !!!

• LilysDad said thank you

#12 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,651 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 04:27 PM

YES!!

Would you care to expand on that?

#13 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,727 Thanks
  • 4,286 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 05:19 PM

Would you care to expand on that?

I really wasn't looking to expand.  Actually, I'm trying to cut back and thin them down instead. Bring your crescent wrench and screwdriver over and you can help me get some out and going for the national next week.