#16 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 09:30 AM

I think the design is overall very good.

I do think though I need to haul my MF1855 down and let you do a test build on it before you build one for your WH.....  :thumbs:  :D  :bigrofl:

• twostep said thank you

#17 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 03:48 PM

TAHOE, you're always the funny man. How about you drop it off down here and I'll let you know when it's finished :)

So now I'm considering fluid volume. At full extension all three of my cylinders will require require 1.46 gallons and at full retraction they will require 1.16 gallons. The difference being 0.3 gallons of fluid. I read on one of the other forums that 2 gallons should be enough for a GT FEL.

Does that sound right? If so, it will take every bit of my uprights (2x5x.25) and the belly cross tube (2x6x.25) volume...

#18 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 09:55 PM

I would think that should do it. If your using it a lot a little more volume would help to dissipate the heat your going to be generating. 

#19 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 11:56 PM

Working with the suggestions I've modified it to this. Easily getting my reach and dump to fill my truck and/or trailer plus much more. The below grade was not a requirement but do to the cylinder length I was able to get that too. The main change was lifting the upper part of the arms upwards plus making the frame uprights taller (also more fluid volume now). I should have MORE than enough range of movement now. and not have to worry about the cylinders over traveling and crashing something.

Advice???

Attached Thumbnails

• Rev1.jpg
  • Rev1-1.jpg
  • Rev1-2.jpg
  • Rev1-3.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#20 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 12:01 AM

Oh and I didn't mess with the bucket design for two reasons, first weight, second visibility. MOST of the time I will never lift to full height anyway and if I find I want extra spill protection I can add it later. Thanks for the info though, keep it coming!!

#21 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 07:37 AM

TAHOE, you're always the funny man. How about you drop it off down here and I'll let you know when it's finished :)

Funny? I wasn't trying to be funny...... :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:

Always gotta have a court jester in the crowd, right? mght as well be me :D

I actually have plans in my mind to do a bufort bucket type designed FEL on my Massey. I really only need to be able to load over my flatbed trailer and more important for me to be able to only use one cylinder per function to utilize the tractor's pump instead of having to add an aux pump. I had a metal supply connection, but her last day was June 28 at the company  :wallbanging:

You plans are looking good.

#22 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 08:05 AM

I actually have plans in my mind to do a bufort bucket type designed FEL on my Massey. I really only need to be able to load over my flatbed trailer and more important for me to be able to only use one cylinder per function to utilize the tractor's pump instead of having to add an aux pump.

I thought a lot about doing that too with my 140H3 but in the end I wanted to have a dedicated loader and I enjoy using my 140 for various tasks too much to restrict it to something that I might not use for months at a time.

Here are a couple of really simple/small FEL's that would be fun to build:

http://tractors.wiki...l_Cub_Cadet_100

or this one:

http://www.ihcubcade.../106/227103.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#23 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 01:58 PM

Working with the suggestions I've modified it to this. Easily getting my reach and dump to fill my truck and/or trailer plus much more. The below grade was not a requirement but do to the cylinder length I was able to get that too. The main change was lifting the upper part of the arms upwards plus making the frame uprights taller (also more fluid volume now). I should have MORE than enough range of movement now. and not have to worry about the cylinders over traveling and crashing something.

Advice???   

post-10198-0-51326900-1373517980_thumb.j

Found a flaw in your design sketches....... your steering wheel is warped!  :smilewink:   All looks great to me.  I know the hood hinges on the front, so just make sure there's plenty of clearance when the hood hinges forward.  Tends to get real tight there with a centered single tilt cylinder.

#24 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 02:54 PM

LOL, thanks Daniel.

Actually the '69 model didn't have a hinge, just an alignment tab on each side and the T-latch on the front. The '72 does have hinges but it swings backward like a car's does. so as long as I don't try to cross bracing above the hood then I should be okay.

#25 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 09:01 PM

Moved the uprights foward to make entry/exit easier... Of course that totally jacks all of geometry so I made some adjustments to the arm layout.

Attached Thumbnails

• FEL2 Max.jpg

#26 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 10:45 PM

Well I guess I need to change the title to just "Twostep's FEL Build" since I've changed GT's...

First off, with 4x4 uprights I am going to have a MAX of 2.25 gallons of reservoir. Is that enough???

I swapped the design over to the JD400 and besides shortening the uprights didn't have to change a thing. the proportions are better I think. The high points of the arms aren't sticking up above the hood as much. Which looks better to me!

JD Loader.jpg

Here are the two GT's side by side:

side by side.jpg

Here are the two GT's overlayed:

overlay.jpg

#27 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 12:03 AM

I would think with your cylinders full of oil and your reservoir half full you would be in good shape. If problems should arise you could use both uprights and tee them together under the tractor. I don't see that being necessary though.

Try to keep your bucket from getting too far out in front of the tractor when it is down. Your lift capabilities will drop off rapidly if the bucket gets out front very far. 

Edited by Cvans, August 08, 2013 - 12:07 AM.

• twostep said thank you

#28 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 05:48 AM

I think you'll be happier with the JD. You get a heavier tractor and longer wheel base. One of the Mods will be happy to change the title if you want!

#29 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 07:46 AM

First off, with 4x4 uprights I am going to have a MAX of 2.25 gallons of reservoir. Is that enough???

I would think with your cylinders full of oil and your reservoir half full you would be in good shape. If problems should arise you could use both uprights and tee them together under the tractor. 

Actually the uprights will be 1.125 gallons each... 2.25 gallons total. But if that is boarder line or not enough then I could consider using the belly tube (what the uprights mount to) as a reservoir as well.

Regarding the bucket reach. I designed this one by studying others that I've seen online, most of which were not home fab, eg; johnson, kwikway, JD OEM. It seems like most of them have the bucket quite a bit further from the front axle then I would want. Reach is important but minimizing the leverage on the frontend is more important. 

• Cvans said thank you

#30 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 08:06 AM

Actually the uprights will be 1.125 gallons each... 2.25 gallons total. 

Sorry, I didn't catch that.  :wallbanging:

Coming from the reservoir what size hose and fittings are you planning to use for this?