• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mdconley66 OFFLINE  

mdconley66
  • Member No: 14150
  • 2 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 07:44 PM

I have a 16 hp Briggs & Stratton on a Bolens ST160. The engine was very hard to start so I checked the valves. One of the rocker arms was broken on the number 1 cylinder. Due to a design change to the rocker I had to change the head assembly.(New Head Assy.) I put everything back together and it runs great until I put it under load. Under load the engine loses power. I checked the valves again and they are set to spec. Any ideas?

Thanks.....Mike

#2 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 11:31 PM

Well mike im not big into gas engines anymore but ill take a whirl at this. It could maybe a coil issue or carburation?

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted July 09, 2013 - 02:20 AM

I have a V-twin that runs OK, not great, no idle and have to accelerate very slow to keep from dying out. More I run it, better it responds. Been running cleaners thru the 2 barrel carb it has. Tractor had a deck on it and when I tried to engage it dies off right away. Thought it was frozen spindle or other issure. Everything is loosey on the deck and pto engage. I finally babied the engine to stay running if I run slow and slowly slip the pto in to engagement. It will run some, but with no power and you can't mow 5ft w/out it dying out again. I'm wondering if somehow one side is not sparking or running at all even??  Seems to run fine when just setting and revving up and such. SO, I'm waiting to see what You come up with for your problem, which may also be mine then. Sorry, not gonna be able to help, but will be watching this post for any ideas. Maybe I should check my valves?  It is OHV, so should be easy right?  Never have been into an OHV engine yet.

#4 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 09, 2013 - 06:20 AM

Sounds like you are running lean.  I'd guess it is either a partially plugged carb, an obstructed fuel line, or a fuel pump issue.  Did you have it off?

#5 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 09, 2013 - 06:21 AM

Or, did you get the intake manifolds tight?  How are those gaskets?

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 09, 2013 - 01:54 PM

I lean towards lean also.  If it's an older carb with high & low speed adjustment, I'd open the main 1/4 of a turn at a time to see if it improves things.  When I have a fixed jet carb running lean, I use a torch tip cleaner to either clean any varnish deposits, or in some cases, actually enlarge the orifice a tiny amount.

#7 mdconley66 OFFLINE  

mdconley66
  • 2 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 09, 2013 - 04:40 PM

What I know at this point is the number 1 cylinder is not running. I am getting spark to the plug 

#8 mdconley66 OFFLINE  

mdconley66
  • 2 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 09, 2013 - 04:42 PM

I have a V-twin that runs OK, not great, no idle and have to accelerate very slow to keep from dying out. More I run it, better it responds. Been running cleaners thru the 2 barrel carb it has. Tractor had a deck on it and when I tried to engage it dies off right away. Thought it was frozen spindle or other issure. Everything is loosey on the deck and pto engage. I finally babied the engine to stay running if I run slow and slowly slip the pto in to engagement. It will run some, but with no power and you can't mow 5ft w/out it dying out again. I'm wondering if somehow one side is not sparking or running at all even??  Seems to run fine when just setting and revving up and such. SO, I'm waiting to see what You come up with for your problem, which may also be mine then. Sorry, not gonna be able to help, but will be watching this post for any ideas. Maybe I should check my valves?  It is OHV, so should be easy right?  Never have been into an OHV engine yet.

Pull a plug wire and try to start the engine and then try the other side. That will tell you if both cylinders are running or not.

#9 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted July 09, 2013 - 04:47 PM

What I know at this point is the number 1 cylinder is not running. I am getting spark to the plug 

Is the plug sparking?  And how are the valves? Is there compression in that cyl.?

#10 mdconley66 OFFLINE  

mdconley66
  • 2 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 09, 2013 - 04:56 PM

Is the plug sparking?  And how are the valves? Is there compression in that cyl.?

The plug is sparking and I have compression.

#11 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted July 09, 2013 - 06:47 PM

The plug is sparking and I have compression.

How's the tire pressure?  Just Kiddin'!!

I'm with Mean & lean..  Is the plug on #1 wet??  if it's not then you either have a manifold leak, valve issue or carb trouble..  Check in that order as it does run on one side..  Always Read the plugs and follow the indications given by them.  Did you try swapping the plugs to see if it's just a bad plug??  So many thoughts but it's hard to diagnose over cyberspace..