Mf14 Breaking Belts

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 2000wreckedwj OFFLINE  

• Member No: 15278
  • 4 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 07:42 AM

could it also be the electric PTO going bad and shutting itself off and causing the belt to bind up thus breaking it

#32 101 senior ONLINE  

101 senior

• Member No: 1393
  • 166 Thanks
  • 323 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 01:34 PM

The location of the mule gear pullies make me believe that the belt may be too long. The pullies should be close to even.

#33 mh44d OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10625
  • 16 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 05:36 AM

Do you have the operators manual for this tractor? If not, one can be down loaded from this site in the manual section. I had similar troubles with our 16 when I first installed mower deck. Operators manual for 14/16 will give you the detailed instructions that you will need to properly line up belt. The angle that the deck is adjusted to will change top pulley taper, it can cause belt to shake, and jump out of place. Also make sure that mule drive isn't seized up. spring loaded right side should work free of tensioner/adjustable left side. My mule drive was seized on shaft, causing spring loaded right side not to work, adding to my belt troubles. I also found that both idler pulley arms were bent out a bit at the bottom, causing pulleys to both sit crooked. I straightened both these arms so that pulleys would run straight in a vertical manner. Belt tension should be at about 1/2" deflection at center of belt(about 1/2 way between mule drive and mower deck pulley). I use the same gates green belts that you describe, and now I can mow 4 hours with no troubles with belts at all. I found that the info in the operators manual was a great help once I had mule drive issues fixed up. Good luck!     mh44d.

• IamSherwood said thank you