18 replies to this topic

#1 IlovemyCub OFFLINE  

IlovemyCub
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 33704
  • 171 Thanks
  • 204 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 08:44 AM

Ok sooo....I re-built a Kohler K-301 for a John Deere 212. I went to go mow with it and it crapped right out. It starts easy, no smoke. But on my compression tester, it says it has no compression. (cold engine). I don't know if I put the rings in correctly, or a stuck valve. Any help would be appreciated! Ian 

#2 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 09:36 AM

The K series has ACR and you cannot check compression without turning it backwards.  Can you tell us more about specific behaviors?  Does it rev OK?  Does it stall under load?  Choke working correctly?  What kind of carb is it?  New points?  New condensor?  Coil?

I have been fighting the k301 in my 120.  At first I had a coil that would short out when it became heat-soaked.  Replaced the coil (with an internal resistor coil) and it ran great.  Upon reassembly after the restification it will not run without full choke.  I have cleaned and rebuilt the carb twice and have determinied it is a problem with the carb... and have a replacement on the way.

• jd.rasentrac and IlovemyCub have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 10:20 AM

To check for a stuck valve you can remove the small cover on the side where the crankcase vent tube exits the engine. The valve clearance adjusters are behind that cover and you can watch the lifters and valves as you turn the engine over by hand. It's easier if you pull the plug out. You should easily be able to see a stuck valve. Verify your points gap and the connections on the points and coil/condenser. I've seen the points shift if not secured properly.  A marginal ignition can show up when you load the engine down.

• jd.rasentrac and IlovemyCub have said thanks

#4 IlovemyCub OFFLINE  

IlovemyCub
  • GTt Junior
  • 171 Thanks
  • 204 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 10:32 AM

The K series has ACR and you cannot check compression without turning it backwards.  Can you tell us more about specific behaviors?  Does it rev OK?  Does it stall under load?  Choke working correctly?  What kind of carb is it?  New points?  New condensor?  Coil?

I have been fighting the k301 in my 120.  At first I had a coil that would short out when it became heat-soaked.  Replaced the coil (with an internal resistor coil) and it ran great.  Upon reassembly after the restification it will not run without full choke.  I have cleaned and rebuilt the carb twice and have determinied it is a problem with the carb... and have a replacement on the way.

It revs alright, but when you give half throttle at start the whole tractor vibrates. It does not stall under load. Choke works fine. No new coil, no new, points, no new condenser. I'd have to pull the side panels off to see. But, its not a cheap carb on it.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#5 IlovemyCub OFFLINE  

IlovemyCub
  • GTt Junior
  • 171 Thanks
  • 204 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 10:36 AM

To check for a stuck valve you can remove the small cover on the side where the crankcase vent tube exits the engine. The valve clearance adjusters are behind that cover and you can watch the lifters and valves as you turn the engine over by hand. It's easier if you pull the plug out. You should easily be able to see a stuck valve. Verify your points gap and the connections on the points and coil/condenser. I've seen the points shift if not secured properly.  A marginal ignition can show up when you load the engine down.

Yeah, I know that. And I should probably check the points, and maybe clean them if they need it. Thanks. 

#6 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 10:49 AM

Go with plug/points/condensor first and see if that helps.

• IlovemyCub said thank you

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 12:31 PM

..... and while you have the valve cover off, recheck the valve clearances.

#8 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 01:29 PM

did you check the rubber motor mounts?

having one or more bad rubber motor mount  will cause  vibrations

#9 IlovemyCub OFFLINE  

IlovemyCub
  • GTt Junior
  • 171 Thanks
  • 204 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 01:31 PM

did you check the rubber motor mounts?

having one or more bad rubber motor mount  will cause  vibrations

They are fine, as I remember . I'll have to check!

#10 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,315 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 02:53 PM

It revs alright, but when you give half throttle at start the whole tractor vibrates. It does not stall under load. Choke works fine. No new coil, no new, points, no new condenser. I'd have to pull the side panels off to see. But, its not a cheap carb on it.

Just a few ideas..

If the thing had balance gears in it, they probably weren't aligned right.  

Being that it idles and runs good AND if you discarded the balance gears, you will have some shaking..  

Motor Mount loose or the plate broke??  Check the plates..

As far as ACR & compression goes, IF your tester is good you should get SOME compression..  (~50# or so)  Funny that it idles and runs with no compression at all..

Flywheel alignment upon reassembly can definitely affect the engine's balance but not affect the ignition timing which is all controlled by the cam/points..  I know it's a pain but you may want to check your key..

Have I spit-balled enough for ya?? :D

Being that I don't have a video and haven't seen the machine this has been the best I can do for ya!  Good Luck!! :rocker2:

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, July 08, 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#11 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 05:07 PM

Ian, I would encourage you to check the points and condenser.  Bad spark will make an engine do strange things.  That includes replacing the spark plug, unless you already did that.

After that, if you have a Kohler carburetor, pull out that long "power" needle and clean it up really well.  You probably have a fuel problem. 

I know you'll figure it out. 

Ben W.

#12 IlovemyCub OFFLINE  

IlovemyCub
  • GTt Junior
  • 171 Thanks
  • 204 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 06:38 PM

Just a few ideas..

If the thing had balance gears in it, they probably weren't aligned right.  

Being that it idles and runs good AND if you discarded the balance gears, you will have some shaking..  

Motor Mount loose or the plate broke??  Check the plates..

As far as ACR & compression goes, IF your tester is good you should get SOME compression..  (~50# or so)  Funny that it idles and runs with no compression at all..

Flywheel alignment upon reassembly can definitely affect the engine's balance but not affect the ignition timing which is all controlled by the cam/points..  I know it's a pain but you may want to check your key..

Have I spit-balled enough for ya?? :D

Being that I don't have a video and haven't seen the machine this has been the best I can do for ya!  Good Luck!! :rocker2:

Haha I agree on the compression part.  But, I will check the points and condenser. I know the timing is right. Double checked before putting it together. Thanks for the help! 

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#13 IlovemyCub OFFLINE  

IlovemyCub
  • GTt Junior
  • 171 Thanks
  • 204 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 06:39 PM

Ian, I would encourage you to check the points and condenser.  Bad spark will make an engine do strange things.  That includes replacing the spark plug, unless you already did that.

After that, if you have a Kohler carburetor, pull out that long "power" needle and clean it up really well.  You probably have a fuel problem. 

I know you'll figure it out. 

Ben W.

I think she has a new plug in it..but I will have to check. The points and condenser I will check also. I should give it a nice carb clean! I thank for the encouragement! Thanks Ben! 

#14 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 06:48 PM

Have you got a good ground from the engine to the frame?

• Trav1s said thank you

#15 IlovemyCub OFFLINE  

IlovemyCub
  • GTt Junior
  • 171 Thanks
  • 204 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 07:10 PM

Have you got a good ground from the engine to the frame?

Yes.