Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

been gone deer hunting, a tragic year in my opinion.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted November 13, 2010 - 06:19 PM

So, I've been deer hunting and the season still has 2 days left. So far we have five deer, 3 does, and 2 bucks. Unfortunately even though as I have been taught and has been repeated every year, we ended up with 2 little ones. Both of them were far shots and were done out of excitement. One of those I witnessed, I'm all for hunting but it crushed me that I yelled up the hill that I chased up 2 babies and one still ended up shot. The other was shot down in some thick brush, I'm surprised it was seen it's so thick. When I was let out on my own they told me no small deer, I still go by that rule. I won't shoot unless it's bigger than what I can pull, so far there's only been two that big. I'm just ranting at this point, but it all ends up in the freezer big or small.

I can proudly say. I'm 17, been hunting 5 years and I have never shot a deer because I'm picky on what I shot.

If your a hunter remember to check you fire, it's better to lose that monster buck than to get the little one. Plus if you get the little Bambi, your buddies will make sure you remember every year and if your my bud I will make sure you remember it to the point you will put you gun down.

At least this Sunday I can go home, put the new head gasket in my sears SS12 and put this tragic hunting season behind me.

Here's the smaller of the two bucks.
Posted Image

#2 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted November 13, 2010 - 06:35 PM

I probably haven't hunted in almost 40 years but I agree with you about letting the little ones go. Nice looking buck hanging on the tractor.Congratulations.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 13, 2010 - 06:45 PM

Nice looking buck hanging on the tractor.Congratulations.

:ditto:

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 13, 2010 - 07:14 PM

Nice buck. I agree on letting the little ones go. I tried hunting a couple times. Twice with rifle and twice with bow and I just don't have what it takes. I can't sit still long enough to be effective.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted November 13, 2010 - 08:03 PM

One of the last times hunting, I went with a .410 open sites & pumpkin balls. Beautiful 8 or 9 point came out & turned broadside to me at about 20 yds.

Deep breath, aim, squeeze, boom.

And over went the 3" sapling that was between us.

Mr. Startled looked around & ran into the woods, I laughed, then bid him a good life & God Speed.

#6 Rickski OFFLINE  

Rickski

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1538
  • 11 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted November 13, 2010 - 08:07 PM

New Hampshire hunting season runs for a few more weeks. Been out every weekend with my son. So far, nothing in the freezer. Started this mornings hunt bundled up for low 30's degree temps. Walked through a few inches of swamp that had a light layer of ice. By 9:00, it was time to take off a layer of clothing. Out again tomorrow morning.

BTW, Nice buck.

#7 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted November 13, 2010 - 08:07 PM

I'm just the opposite! I'm harvesting a small amount of meat, just like venison over beef for some things. So I would rather have two small deer than one big one. After all, if you were going to butcher a beef, you don't go out to shoot an old bull!

"Firearms" season started here today. Here an "antlered deer" has to have at least four points on one side. "Antlerless deer" include does & "button bucks". Got a button buck & a yearling doe today, cut them up & grind them tomorrow, 25-30# of burger in the freezer.

Not saying your method is wrong, nor is mine, just personal preference! ~~ grnspot110

#8 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted November 13, 2010 - 08:35 PM

Good luck to all hunters. Happiness is a full freezer!!!

I haven't gone hunting for 7 years now. Since we moved here, I just haven't gotten out to do it. Have a brand new .30-06 in the safe that desperately needs to be used. Maybe next year......

#9 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted November 13, 2010 - 09:13 PM

I think younger deer does taste good, but I rather see it become a bigger deer than fill my stomach. I'm one of those that can't sit still, I got out at 6am before the sun and come in a 9:30. I can't sit for too long or I end up thinking about what I can do to get another tractor or what mods I can make to the ones I got. I dis-like "driving deer because of how easy it is to get excited and just shoot like there's no tomorrow. We have a neighbor that does that, he got a fawn that still had spots. Him and his 4 buddies shot it 8 times, the entire rib cage and guts we gone. They use semi-auto's and as soon as one shoots, the other 4 empty their guns, this year we found a nice buck on our property that they shot.

Thanks, my grandfather is a hunting machine this year. Both bucks are his, my being picky has only let me see a few and I figured I could drag those up a hill by myself.

Good luck to any other hunters!

#10 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted November 13, 2010 - 10:03 PM

Nice buck. I agree on letting the little ones go. I tried hunting a couple times. Twice with rifle and twice with bow and I just don't have what it takes. I can't sit still long enough to be effective.

Yeah, I havent been Hunting in a while.
Cant sit still long enough....I keep thinking I got to get back to my Garden tractors LOL :D

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted November 13, 2010 - 10:12 PM

...Cant sit still long enough....I keep thinking I got to get back to my Garden tractors LOL :D

I've been having that problem at work

#12 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted November 13, 2010 - 10:26 PM

We have too many of them around here anyway!

#13 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted November 13, 2010 - 11:44 PM

Haven't had time to go this year.But sure miss getting up at 3am to get ready to go.All i have ever shot was bucks don't like messing with the does.I give the deeres we shoot to the local butcher and he gives the meat to the less fortunate.