• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#16 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 03:57 PM

kinda WNY make a left by the tractor dealer into town turn right by the funeral home then make a right into the driveway for the field

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#17 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 04:05 PM

First gongrats to you and the future Misses.  Secondly, Respect and Honesty between both of you is key and NEVER go to bed angry.  I can say that in the 18 years I've known my wife we have only ever had one time that we had a major disagreement.  Other than that life has been VERY good.  Happy Wife, Happy Life may be a funny saying but it does hold a bit of truth to it.  Something nice every now and then for her that goes above the norm is good and may hold a "reward" for you. :smilewink:

Good luck and prayers to you and the Misses for a happy life together for many years to come.

• backwoods, twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks

#18 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,802 Thanks
  • 2,201 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 04:35 PM

Congratulations, and good luck.

It isn't as bad as we all say it is. Listen to her, even when she isn't speaking, she is always right and communicate  all seem to work.     But if all else fails do something nice for the in-laws!!

Tom

#19 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 04:47 PM

Greg,

Kathy and I have been married for eighteen years, and it still feels fresh and new. I know a lot of us here kid and joke about our wives, which I do too, but in reality, I take our marriage very seriously. My advice to you?

1. Always keep her wants and desires your number one goal to fulfill for her. Some things may be huge and feel like they are unreachable, as others may be small and feel meaningless, but no matter what, your ambition to want to make her wishes come true, will keep her loving you for years to come.

2. Your promise to each other is "For better or worse". Through the years, there will be many toils, many words said that will hurt, and there may be times that you think there has to be someone better out there. These are obstacles that you and your wife will have to deal with, and will have to overcome. It's easy to walk away, especially in todays word, but it takes a strong man to stand up and fight for his marriage. When troubled times come up, don't be quick to yell, but instead, both of you take time away from each other in separate rooms, and cool down first. Then come back to each other, talk it out, and make up.

3. Our wives minds are like a plate of spaghetti and our minds are like a waffle. Her mind is like a bunch of noodles, all twisted around each other, and very long. That's why when she starts to talk about something, it won't be long until she starts taking rabbit trails onto another topic. One topic touches another topic which touches another topic, and so on. Woman have a way of talking about nine to ten different topics, before us men can comprehend the first topic. All women are multi-taskers, because their brain can function that way. A woman can talk on the phone, cook dinner, and bounce a baby on her hip all at the same time. This is just how God made them. Men on the other hand, are waffles with little boxes. Each box represents a task, which means, we can only focus or do one task at a time. Think about it. When we are in our "Tractor Box", we want to be left alone until we are done with the task. Let's say, while in our "Tractor Box", our wife comes home and out to the garage, and starts to tell us all about her day. How many of us get frustrated or mad because, one, we aren't really interested in listening right now, two, she is making you lose your concentration on the object in front of you, or three, you don't care at all? So, we blow off at her, and she runs crying to the house. We just can't multi-task like she can. We need to be in another box, "Listening Box" in order to give her our full attention. My wife gets mad at me when I say nothing, when she asks me what I'm thinking about. I tell her I have nothing on my mind, and she thinks I'm lying to her. Women just can't rationalize or come to grasps, that men can actually think about nothing.

4. When you and your wife need to sit down and talk about serious items, such as bills, vacation planning, a fight you had, or whatever, be sure to give her your undivided attention. Keep the TV turned off, put down the magazine, walk away from the computer. She needs you to listen to her as she speaks, and she wants to know that you are fully focused on what she has to say. Holding her hand while she speaks, and full eye contact are big plus's.

5. Never go to bed angry at each other. I don't care if it takes all night to work out the trouble, do it! There is no room for grudges in a marriage. Don't be afraid to ask her for forgiveness, and don't be too manly to say I'm sorry! There is never enough I Love You's either. Show her you have her on a pedestal, and look at her like she is a queen, make her know that she is the only one for you.

I wish you the best, and big Congrats! You'll do well, and I wish you both a long and prosperous life together. :thumbs:

Edited by johndeereelfman, July 07, 2013 - 04:53 PM.

• IHCubGuy, HowardsMF155, backwoods and 1 other said thanks

#20 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 04:50 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!

:D  :wave:  :thumbs:

• backwoods said thank you

#21 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 04:53 PM

Be honest and up front with each other, and as said make sure she is your best friend.  There will be bumps in the road but if the two of you are committed to the relationship and treat each other with respect and honesty you will be together for many. many, many years.  Wish the two of you all the luck in the new chapter of your lives.

#22 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,652 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 06:39 PM

As has been said by others, communication is key! So, shut up and listen!   .....and don't make eye contact    .....and take off your hat when she's talking to you!!!

And another thing, do you remember your anniversaries..... all of them? The first time you kissed, the first time you said eye luv u? What she ate the first time you took her out to dinner? You can bet she does!

And just one more thing; may God bless both of you and your new life together.

#23 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 06:39 PM

Greg:

I'm going to say congratulations; everything that Johndeereelfman says is the truth and exactly the way I feel and my exact words. NEVER go to bed bad at each other.

Dick

• johndeereelfman and backwoods have said thanks

#24 916 hydro OFFLINE  

916 hydro
  • Member No: 10159
  • 114 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 07:13 PM

I learned something at my wedding DO NOT get blackout drunk in the parking lot before the wedding. I cant repeat on this board the other piece of advice I got on my wedding day

#25 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,642 Thanks
  • 1,735 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 07:41 PM

Communication , compromise, communication, common goals, communication and communication.     

CONGRATULATIONS     Rick

#26 JimD OFFLINE  

JimD

• Member No: 385
  • 681 Thanks
  • 484 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 08:07 PM

Greg,

Kathy and I have been married for eighteen years, and it still feels fresh and new. I know a lot of us here kid and joke about our wives, which I do too, but in reality, I take our marriage very seriously. My advice to you?

1. Always keep her wants and desires your number one goal to fulfill for her. Some things may be huge and feel like they are unreachable, as others may be small and feel meaningless, but no matter what, your ambition to want to make her wishes come true, will keep her loving you for years to come.

2. Your promise to each other is "For better or worse". Through the years, there will be many toils, many words said that will hurt, and there may be times that you think there has to be someone better out there. These are obstacles that you and your wife will have to deal with, and will have to overcome. It's easy to walk away, especially in todays word, but it takes a strong man to stand up and fight for his marriage. When troubled times come up, don't be quick to yell, but instead, both of you take time away from each other in separate rooms, and cool down first. Then come back to each other, talk it out, and make up.

3. Our wives minds are like a plate of spaghetti and our minds are like a waffle. Her mind is like a bunch of noodles, all twisted around each other, and very long. That's why when she starts to talk about something, it won't be long until she starts taking rabbit trails onto another topic. One topic touches another topic which touches another topic, and so on. Woman have a way of talking about nine to ten different topics, before us men can comprehend the first topic. All women are multi-taskers, because their brain can function that way. A woman can talk on the phone, cook dinner, and bounce a baby on her hip all at the same time. This is just how God made them. Men on the other hand, are waffles with little boxes. Each box represents a task, which means, we can only focus or do one task at a time. Think about it. When we are in our "Tractor Box", we want to be left alone until we are done with the task. Let's say, while in our "Tractor Box", our wife comes home and out to the garage, and starts to tell us all about her day. How many of us get frustrated or mad because, one, we aren't really interested in listening right now, two, she is making you lose your concentration on the object in front of you, or three, you don't care at all? So, we blow off at her, and she runs crying to the house. We just can't multi-task like she can. We need to be in another box, "Listening Box" in order to give her our full attention. My wife gets mad at me when I say nothing, when she asks me what I'm thinking about. I tell her I have nothing on my mind, and she thinks I'm lying to her. Women just can't rationalize or come to grasps, that men can actually think about nothing.

4. When you and your wife need to sit down and talk about serious items, such as bills, vacation planning, a fight you had, or whatever, be sure to give her your undivided attention. Keep the TV turned off, put down the magazine, walk away from the computer. She needs you to listen to her as she speaks, and she wants to know that you are fully focused on what she has to say. Holding her hand while she speaks, and full eye contact are big plus's.

5. Never go to bed angry at each other. I don't care if it takes all night to work out the trouble, do it! There is no room for grudges in a marriage. Don't be afraid to ask her for forgiveness, and don't be too manly to say I'm sorry! There is never enough I Love You's either. Show her you have her on a pedestal, and look at her like she is a queen, make her know that she is the only one for you.

I wish you the best, and big Congrats! You'll do well, and I wish you both a long and prosperous life together. :thumbs:

It'll be 34 years on the 14th of this month and I can't remember how we did it before the last ten years that I've been writing extremely long posts on tractor forums. There is some good advice in the above post. I particularly like the spaghetti brain comment, though I would hesitate to use that one in a disagreement with the Mrs. And that's how you do it. Common sense. Respect. Love.

#27 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 08:09 PM

Greg,

Greg, JDEM has given some seriously good advice here.  The man has obviously been reading marriage improvement books!!  You should study his post, print it out and hang it in your bathroom, and pay attention to it.

#28 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 08:26 PM

For those of you who dint know im getting married this coming saturday. i was wondering if anyone had any tips for me for a long lasting marriage. i know the happy wife happy life saying but im sure there is more then that..

Congratulations on your up and coming marriage.

Myself, I don't think you need any tips or advice. You've decided to get married for a reason.

Stick with that.

Enjoy your life together.

• olcowhand, johndeereelfman, backwoods and 2 others have said thanks

#29 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 08:29 PM

Congratulations on your up and coming marriage.

Myself, I don't think you need any tips or advice. You've decided to get married for a reason.

Stick with that.

Enjoy your life together.

VERY well put Will!   :thumbs:  Besides, how much advice have any of us ever really listened to & put to use??  :(

#30 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,652 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 08:31 PM

Greg, JDEM has given some seriously good advice here.  The man has obviously been reading marriage improvement books!!  

Did you all read the one "Women are from Chicago, Men are from Albuquerque."?