• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kevino OFFLINE  

kevino
  • Member No: 39974
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 07:41 AM

I've got this 1994 JD 265 that I've had for 4 years that has a really strange problem when I try to start it.  Lately the tractor wouldn't start at all and all it would do was turn and backfire.  A complete checkup was done and many parts including the carb were replaced.  It seems that everything is in great shape for a tractor of that age but it still won't start. 

Then strangely enough by some fluke a mechanic friend of mine tried starting it when the tension spring for the transmission belt was removed.  It started beautifully.  Then when he tried to start it with the spring back on all it did was turn and backfire again.  So now when I need to use it I have to start it with the tension spring off and then once it's going I put the spring back on to be able to move around.  Very weird and annoying.  Even the senior mechanic at our JD dealership can't figure it out.  Why would having the tension spring for the tranny on affect how the engine starts?  Is it causing the engine to strain too much?  Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 08:14 AM

I can't recall messing with a 265, but I wonder if there is something very strange going on in the clutch safety switch.  Which doesn't make much sense to me mechanically.

Did you replace the key switch?

Ben W.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 10:45 AM

I'm also wondering about the safety switch or less likely would be a wire in the ignition circuit being pinched or shorted out by the belt. Sure is an odd problem. I also wonder if the starter is weak and the belt is dragging enough to stop it from starting. Since a lot of parts have been replaced I'm assuming the engine doesn't have another issue making it hard to start. 

#4 kevino OFFLINE  

kevino
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 03:46 PM

Those are good thoughts.  Thanks guys, I'll relay the info to my mechanic and see if it leads to anything.  Thanks again for your help.

#5 kevino OFFLINE  

kevino
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 03:47 PM

By the way, no the key switch was not replaced.