• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 11:51 AM

You should count by numbers owned. I have 1 Bolens walk behind, 3 large frame Bolens and  6 tube frame Bolens. I have a Snapper 1600 which is the same as a Massey. Bolens wins by 9 at my house but, I love them all. Good Luck, Rick

• IlovemyCub said thank you

#17 101 senior OFFLINE  

101 senior

• Member No: 1393
  • 180 Thanks
  • 328 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 04:52 PM

Most Bolens are nice to look at, but as far as competing w/ Masseys, Let the red and gray do the work. Now thats not saying the HT models can't hold their own.

#18 xshooter OFFLINE  

xshooter

• Member No: 2325
  • 34 Thanks
  • 93 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 07:05 PM

John Deere

Oh wait that was the last one.

Me bad.

#19 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 07:40 PM

Think I will go with Massy...... :hitting_self_roller:  :watch_over_fence:  :brain_fart:

#20 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 07:51 PM

Why don't you narrow it down a bit. What Bolens vs which Massey ? Nowadays Bolens is nothing but a name and green paint slapped on a cheapo MTD riding mower, The line of current MF's are rebadged Simplicitiy tractors the entry level MF is 80% more costly than the Bolens Cyclopes and is not a fair comparison.

#21 IlovemyCub OFFLINE  

IlovemyCub
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 33704
  • 171 Thanks
  • 204 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 08:40 PM

Guys, I am sorry I made the post. I just thought it would be interesting to see what people would perfer in haveing. You can un-follow, and stop with replying. Again I'm sorry if I annoyed people or made them mad or what ever. Sorry. Ian. 

• olcowhand said thank you

#22 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 08:48 PM

A generalized comparison is never a good way to find out what people prefer, but IS however a quick way to cut into a nerve or 2, or 3, or....

I'm sure you get my drift.  A quick way to see people's choices is to look at activity in each brand forum, or to go to the registry & compare numbers.  

One thing you can never truly see is what people would love to own if money were no problem.  Many of us would own different brand, or at least different models of the make we already own IF we could afford.

• MH81 and skunkhome have said thanks

#23 IlovemyCub OFFLINE  

IlovemyCub
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 33704
  • 171 Thanks
  • 204 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 08:54 PM

A generalized comparison is never a good way to find out what people prefer, but IS however a quick way to cut into a nerve or 2, or 3, or....

I'm sure you get my drift.  A quick way to see people's choices is to look at activity in each brand forum, or to go to the registry & compare numbers.  

One thing you can never truly see is what people would love to own if money were no problem.  Many of us would own different brand, or at least different models of the make we already own IF we could afford.

Yeah, I just don't want to be known as the "hated one" or the "annoying one", because I enjoy the site, and its members. 

• olcowhand said thank you

#24 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 09:56 PM

Well put true statement there.  While being an IH nut I also have a fondness for old Sheppard Diesel farm tractors.  They made them close to me here in Hanover Pa back in the 30's-50's.  Local dealer tried to sell my grandfather one back in the day.  Was equivalent in size to a Farmall H so it would have been an SD2.  If funds ever allow and I can find one I WILL buy it!  Hardest of them to find is the SD1 which was basically a garden tractor and they made VERY FEW of them.

#25 101 senior OFFLINE  

101 senior

• Member No: 1393
  • 180 Thanks
  • 328 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 06:43 PM

i   dont know how many grew up on a farm where their dads favorate tractor brand was a massey or farmall or another brand, but I did.Sometimes you like what your dad did.It might not have anything to do w/ performance. I fall into that line. That does'nt mean I would ever think that someone who liked something else was wrong. All these tractors are good. Thats why we buy them.

#26 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 09:07 PM

Well, the original question is way too broad. I think if it were narrowed down you might get some real discussion. Would you prefer a MF 10 or a Bolens 1050. That might raise some discussion.

Which is faster Ford or Chevrolet?

If I had the money, I would buy AGCO, fire all those Eurocentric officers, dump Challenger, bring back AGCO ALLIS and Persian orange. Massey Ferguson could stay as its an American standard but it wouldn't be the flagship tractor.

Edited by skunkhome, July 12, 2013 - 09:17 PM.

#27 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 09:20 PM

... Would you prefer a MF 10 or a Bolens 1050.

Bolens, hands down.

Locking differential, Wisconsin engine, all shaft driven implements, super wide range of attachments. Not to mention that there were a LOT of them produced and parts are still easy to find.

• skunkhome and boyscout862 have said thanks