#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 01:28 AM

Have steer box all apart. Tube was loose in the case. I now have a new NOS box/tube and gonna put my parts into it. Wondering about getting bearings and gaskets?  I've heard John Deere parts are same cept plastic cages on balls. Well mine has plastic cages, maybe they were changed once. some balls were loose in bottom. the adjuster lock ring was all bent up and think maybe wasn't adjusted correctly from diff time. I got the adjuster parts that were bent in to bend back out and ran the adjust end up thru it couple times to clean threads and is good to go now. The plastic cage was OK looks like and I can snap all the balls back in I think and they would stay. Any have any experience in doing a box?  Was afraid I wasn't gonna find the output shaft seal, but it is in the box now, cool!  So, looks like bearings and gasket are only things needed, and really might just use the bearings again, they look solid and make my own gasket.

• larryd said thank you

#2 willy1094 OFFLINE  

willy1094
  • Member No: 15926
  • 38 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 03:00 AM

I made my own gaskets and they seem to be holding fine.  My bearing were the caged tapered type rollers and races so I can't help you there.  The seal for the sector shaft is easy to find with the part number (340413 - thanks username).  Good luck with the rebuild!

Edited by willy1094, July 07, 2013 - 03:01 AM.

• larryd said thank you

#3 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 07:40 AM

I rebuild steering gears for a living. What make is the gear you have? If I can i help in any way. let me know. I have sources for for parts. I can also walk you through any assembly and adjustment procedures.

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 12:42 PM

Farmer, it's a Ross gear, like many brands use. Not sure any model numbers or anything. Are those in castings?  Would want a kit OR, the cover gasket, two bearings, have balls in mine, or would need the races if anything else used. the races came right out. Also there is a strange O-ring maybe at bottom adjuster that might be odd shaped cross-section? or is it just round? Will a picture help? It is worm with a two pin steering arm in the worm gear cuts.

#5 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 03:26 PM

A picture sure would help. Any casting or stamped in number would tell me what series it is.

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 05:25 PM

Here is a breakdown of the steering for you guys!

Not long after I got the '71 1614 PK, I took the box apart to get water out, and seal it up. I ended up putting it back together wrong and messed up those plastic cages. I ended up taking the races out of a spare cub steering box I had.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1-23.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#7 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 09:39 PM

I still need to know the series: Example TA 52, TE 51 etc. They all look similar, but there are differences.

#8 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 08:14 PM

OK, pharmer, have some info maybe.   Box Casting has Ross  T122964 and G5 under that.

Need:

Cover Gasket

O-ring for play adjustment end cap, might be triangle shaped cross-section??  About 1-3/4" diameter.

Ball Bearings in cage, might be plastic cage

Races not needed unless I have to use diff type bearings.

My new casting has the output shaft seal already.

SO, that's what I know, what ya got?  Is there maybe a whole kit or all individual?

#9 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 08:49 PM

http://www.midwestst...=parts_diagrams
I was looking around at work today because I had figured it was going to be one, if not the smallest Ross manual box.
Couldn't come up with parts you would need. However, the link I posted is where I purchase most if not all the parts for these older boxes. So rather than become a middle man, I figured you can deal with them direct. They are great people and very knowledgable with these gears. Click on the parts diagrams and then click on the ross TL12. This is what you have. They are located in Independance MO
(that's probably why they are so friendly) . I hope this helps. Please let me know, because I will be tearing into my steering gear soon as I restore my Jim Dandy. Good luck.

#10 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 11:42 PM

Well, stuff the same, but our gears have that adjuster on bottom with lock ring, these shown have bolt on top and shims to adjust. I have had that on my bigger tractors. One thing I'm wondering about is the big o-ring down on that adjuster. I looked at other models, don't see one that is exact to what we have. Gasket doesn't have number, so guess not available?  Bearings are similar, but not sure if correct with the adjustment set-up. Guess one could call out there and talk to someone and maybe get better info on what's there.

#11 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 09, 2013 - 05:19 AM

Best thing to do is call. They state not everything is listed in their catalog. I have called them and gave them specific info on what I had and they always come through for me. Like I said , they are very nice folks and want to help.

#12 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 04:46 AM

Well, wanted to get it done and quit messing around, so worked on the box. I used the old bearings, seemed in good shape. Had to make a cover gasket and used standard round o-ring for the bottom seal and seemed to work fine so far. Adjusted it up and mounted after painting. Now to fill it with oil and hope nothing leaks! Runs nice and smooth, I'm happy. My plastic reducer sleave insert at top of colum was all worn big and offset. I went and got one of those common flange bearings at ACE and it fit right in and is nicer than just plastic. Now working on wheel to get it to shine up, but not having much luck with it yet. Might be staying the flat black look afterall.