#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:29 PM

Can it be done with success? Have any of you ever tried it? Doesn't the lacquer usually crack the enamel finish?

Well I did it, and I had success. On Caleb's fender, I applied a total of seven coats of his green enamel paint, wet sanding between most coats, then applied three coats of clear enamel paint. Well, after the clear dried, I started rubbing the finish with polishing compound, and just wasn't satisfied with the results, as I wasn't getting the nice clear finish I thought I would. So, out of frustration, I decided to spray two heavy coats of lacquer over top of the clear enamel, expecting the finish to crack, and wow, was I surprised! I got a really nice finish when combining the two. No cracked finish at all. I was a little scared though at first, because the green paint turned white when I applied the lacquer. But after setting for about an hour and a half, the green eventually came back, and the finish is nice and clear.

I'm always trying new and different things, and always experimenting or mixing different type of chemicals to see what I can come up with to make a bad situation better. Was this an accidental mistake, or was this method done before and I just didn't know about it? Would the polishing compound be the sole reason for the lacquer not cracking the enamel? I don't know, but I'm curious to see if any of you have tried this.

Give me you thoughts.

• HDWildBill, A.C.T. and JRJ have said thanks

#2 wku88 OFFLINE  

wku88
  • Member No: 32000
  • 22 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 11:51 PM

The reason it turned white is because the air was too humid. You are lucky it dried glossy-- most of the time when it does that, it'll go dull. If the enamel is thoroughly cured, it won't crack. Also, todays lacquers are not as "hot" as they were in the past due to VOC regulations.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 05:06 AM

Should look good with a total of 12 coats on it! You may have clearance problems due to the increased size of the fender though! :wave:

#4 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 05:26 AM

I don't like clear laquer over enamel - it's to glossy (like a bacon rind, as we say here). But the painture is better, "worthier".

#5 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 08:36 AM

With all that paint you probably put 20#'s more on the tractor.

Dick

#6 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 10:37 AM

I've only been practicing with this new paint up to this point. I told Caleb we only want it to look nice with a little shine. We both agreed that we don't want an automotive finish on it, since the tractor finish wasn't like that when it rolled off of the showroom floor. With my luck though, and with past experience, I find that when I do something nice, accidently, I can never duplicate it, or get it right again. Don't know what it is, but it seems to always happen that way.

Thanks for the advice guys! We appreciate it. :thumbs:

• JDBrian and HDWildBill have said thanks

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 10:48 AM

I've only been practicing with this new paint up to this point. I told Caleb we only want it to look nice with a little shine. We both agreed that we don't want an automotive finish on it, since the tractor finish wasn't like that when it rolled off of the showroom floor. With my luck though, and with past experience, I find that when I do something nice, accidently, I can never duplicate it, or get it right again. Don't know what it is, but it seems to always happen that way.

Thanks for the advice guys! We appreciate it. :thumbs:

I know what you mean Troy. I find getting a good finish on a tractor to be a real challenge.  I always seem to  be able to duplicate the really bad finishes though. 

• johndeereelfman and HDWildBill have said thanks