#1 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 07:03 PM

I have a 5 HP (Briggs) rear tine tiller that belonged to my FIL,  I hadn't used it for at least 5 years (probably longer) since I had a tiller for my JD 74-112.  Replaced the 112 with a 314 a couple of years ago, but don't have a tiller for it because of the expense & won't use it enough to justify the $$$!  

Meanwhile, the MTD sat in the shed until the tires went flat!  Got it out this morning, put tubes in the tires & took it to the shop.  The tank was still half full of old gas, so I treated it with Star Tron.  I took the air cleaner off & sprayed some carburetor cleaner in, a few pulls of the rope & it fired, few more & it was running after all these years!  After it cooled, I pressure washed it, then restarted it & ran all the old gas out, refilled with fresh (treated) gas & put it in the shed --- for now.  ~~  Lowell

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 07:53 PM

Rear tines are nice. I had a little 3HP MTD front tine until last year when I stumbled on a Troy Bilt Jr. rear tine tiller at a yard sale for 40$. The air filter assembly was missing and it hadn't been run for about 15 years. I put about 120$ into it and man it's so much nicer than the front tine I had.  I couldn't justify the cost of a new rear tine tiller for my small gardens. 

#3 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 10:16 AM

Figure out a way to get a few ounces of grease in the chain case. They're designed to fail due to lack of lubrication.

Mike

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 12:48 PM

Figure out a way to get a few ounces of grease in the chain case. They're designed to fail due to lack of lubrication.

Mike

That is a good point! It was not till I tore a front tine tiller down to put a new chain in that I discovered a rubber plug to fill the chain case??

A lesson learned I have not forgot!!