• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 03:45 PM

I've been watching my mailbox for the last 6 months lean further & further.  Pretty soon the mail will slide out when the mailman puts it in there.  So before milking, I pulled the wooden post up, mailbox & all.  Almost broke off as it's so rotten, and would have if the ground weren't so wet from the almost 5" of rain.  I'll get a new post set in tomorrow before mail runs Monday.  I'll just put quickcrete around the post.  I think there's plenty of moisture to get the cement to set!  :rolling:

• hamman, HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 04:25 PM

Sounds like it didn't eat up too much of your day Daniel. I've never used that quick setting stuff but it would be handy for something like a mailbox. It seems the little chores just keep popping up when you own any property. It's nice to be able to save some time on a job like that. I had to replace one of the outside taps on our house yesterday. It was a freeze proof anti syphon type. The internal parts were shot but the outside brass bits were fine. No way could I find one to take the insides out of ( time saver like Quick crete) so I had to take the wall apart from the inside, gyproc, vapour barrier, FG insulation etc,  and sweat the fitting off the old valve, replace it and then reassemble the wall. It should be good for another 15 years I guess but I didn't want to spend a Friday afternoon doing it. 

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 07:09 PM

Mailman may bypass you for a while with the box sitting like it should! He won't recognize it's yours!

#4 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,777 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 07:14 PM

Definitely enough rain to make the cement set. Just make sure you have something to hold the post up so it doesn't set crooked.

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 07:40 PM

Have you considered getting one of those fancy JD mailboxes? I've seen some pretty sweet ones around your parts.  :poke:

Gosh knows ya got enough green and yellow around your place to qualify.......................... :rolling:

#6 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 07:41 PM

Leave it crooked. The bills will fall out, and you'll have more GT money.

• olcowhand and superaben have said thanks

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 08:26 PM

Leave it crooked. The bills will fall out, and you'll have more GT money.

Will has always been a genius.  :thumbs:

Ben W.

#8 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 08:34 PM

Neighbor Herby's mailbox is the same way; my assessment on it was that the mail box was straight, and everything around it was crooked.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 02:55 PM

Got a brandy new post in the ground, and backfilled with Quickcrete...plus added a little Portland Cement, as this Quickcrete stuff is pretty lame without adding more.  She'll set up pretty quick, and tonight I'll put the base & mailbox onto it.  After 3 days of rain, now that the sun has come out, the humidity is almost unbearable!  

DSC00047.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 03:07 PM

Neighbor Herby's mailbox is the same way; my assessment on it was that the mail box was straight, and everything around it was crooked.

Ryan, save those theories for after you're 21 LOL

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 03:09 PM

Notice the water in the road below & down from the mailbox post.  The water filled the 2' hole as fast as I could turn around!  I just poured in the cement mix & it pushed the water up & out.

#12 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 04:41 PM

I dont cement posts in...if the snowplow hits them, they are history anyways. I just dig in a pressure treated post....that will outlast me...unless the snowplow hits it....lol

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 04:46 PM

I dont cement posts in...if the snowplow hits them, they are history anyways. I just dig in a pressure treated post....that will outlast me...unless the snowplow hits it....lol

I used the concrete just because the ground is so wet I could never tamp it tight, even if I used gravel.  Not over an inch or so concrete around the post.  

You must be mighty old if you expect it to outlast you.  The pressure treated stuff is crap these days.  We've had some rot off level to the ground in 10 years or so.  One bunch we got lasted only 5 years.  To obtain their lifetime warranty, you must have the tags that come stapled to the posts, and they know they will be gone, or on the end in the ground when they rot off.   :wallbanging:

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 04:51 PM

Still hot out, but I got them mailbox mounted.  Need to mow once it cools some.

I will take the box back off when I'm ready to refurbish it.  The door was hit by vandals a few years ago, and I need to get it straightened some better before I repaint it.  This was my Grandpa's mailbox from back in the 50's.  Great for larger packages as it's 10"W, 12"T, x 22" deep on the inside.  Not many 60 year old mailboxes still around.  They made them STRONG back then!

DSC00048.JPG

#15 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 05:03 PM

You may be right about the crap pressure treated these days....I recently moved a divider fence that I know has been there about 25 years, figured I was buying new posts, but they were in great shape when I pulled them......I also built a small deck....that stuff I got is crap...cant see it lasting 1/2 of 25 years, even sitting on top of cement patio stones and gravel

I put in a new mailbox post about 5 years ago. used a 4x6 pressure treated post, still straight up and down....When it starts leaning, guess its my time to go....lol