Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Thought I Would Share This.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 11:28 AM

Our Sons GF has a 10 year old son.  Although my son trys to give Jack a good role model to follow my son does not have very good mechanical skills not has he ever shown an interest in doing anything mechanical.  On the other hand Jack likes to take things apart to see how they work, but usually has a problem when putting them back together.

So I decided I would invite him to come over and help me work in the shop so yesterday was his first day.  We were working on an Exmark LazerZ that needed some TLC pretty badly.  Well the first thing I started doing is taking some pictures of the Hyd line routing, carburetor & Linkage and the engine overall for reference as we worked on it.  Jack looked at me puzzled and asked why are you taking pictures?  I thought we were going to work on it?  I explained that all to often, especially when I did not have parts handy, I would use the pictures as a reference as to how things were supposed to go so I could get it put back together correctly.  He looked at me and you could see the light bulb going off in his eyes and he said "That is cool! I never thought about doing that."  

It was a very enjoyable day and he defiantly pulled his weight.  He changed out the deck wheels, after I showed him how, then helped change out the choke cable, Motion lever dampeners and then helped with cleanup.  He also had a thousand questions of What does this do or can we use this.  But he was satisfied when I told him eventually he would learn to use the bigger equipment but first he had to learn the basics and how to use basic hand tools.

Even with the all the rain it was a great day.

• olcowhand, powerking56, Alc and 14 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 11:33 AM

Bill, That is great how you are helping teach him mechanical skills. If we don't teach the next generation, no one will know how to fix stuff for us when we are too old to do it ourselves. Thanks So Much !!

• Fabman, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#3 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,446 Thanks
  • 3,993 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 11:34 AM

Well done, Bill :thumbs: The young man's interest exists and is awaken :good_job:

• hamman, HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 11:40 AM

Bill, sounds like you are a positive influence on the boy. I bet you both will remember the good times working on the GT's.

• hamman, HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 11:48 AM

Good show Bill, if you didn't show and help him learn no would probably. At least he was interested and ask question which could be promising.

Dick

• HDWildBill, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#6 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 06, 2013 - 12:04 PM

Way to go Dad. :thumbs:

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 12:32 PM

Bill, That is great how you are helping teach him mechanical skills. If we don't teach the next generation, no one will know how to fix stuff for us when we are too old to do it ourselves. Thanks So Much !!

I hadn't thought about it those terms, but you have a very good point.

Be for we started I laid some ground rule down like no playing in the shop and that he is to wear safety glasses at all times in the shop.  I also told him about "Righty tightie and lefty looseie"  and it was fun watching him try to apply it as he removed and installed hardware.

When I was a young man, my father wasn't around much at the time and I had already started down the wrong path of life, when a man befriended me at a local MC shop.  Not only did he teach me how to use tools and fix things but he also put me on a straight path.  I'll never forget the first place we went the first time we rode together.  The probation office for him to see his probation officer.

• powerking56, Alc, JDBrian and 3 others have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 01:01 PM

And what we teach will live on. I hope that you can reward him with seat time when he comes back again. Good Luck, Rick
  • HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#9 JDBrian ONLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 01:52 PM

Nice story Bill. Good for the boy and I dare say you are enjoying it too! Since he has shown an interest in working on stuff it's great that you can help foster that natural inclination.  It's a nice change to hear this. Most kids seem content with their Ipods, phones, etc. but Jack is getting his hands dirty in the real world! 

• HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 02:40 PM

Jack is getting his hands dirty in the real world! 

And Face!  :rolling: By the time we were done yesterday he had dirt from his head to toes and a big smile. 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#11 TomLGT195 ONLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,804 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 02:47 PM

Bill your doing a nice thing, congrats to you. They are right if we don't teach the next generation who will?

• HDWildBill, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 04:26 PM

Not the schools apparently. Many don't even teach cursive writing any more. 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#13 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 05:24 PM

I have two grown daughters & my son nineteen still at home. My son's interests have changed recently from baseball, working on model trains, tractors the vehicles etc. His main interests are of coarse his GF a wonderful young lady, his job, his truck, & probably next to his girlfriend world missions. He has been to Honduras & Haiti & says he'll never be the same, he has a heart for this. What I'm trying to say is we raise our kids to make choices & decisions of their own but sometimes as parents it's hard to except. What does help is grand kids, we have four grandsons. I've been remodeling my youngest daughters bathroom & she has a six & a one year old. I set her tile the other day & I hate taking up all those little white spacers. I called & asked the six year old Will if he would want to help me by picking all those up & I would pay him. My daughter told me he was so excited & proud that he had advanced from rolling up the drop clothes to this. When I saw his eyes how he wanted so much to please his Papaw I thought the teaching & rewarding of another generation. Thanks for sharing your story Bill.

Jim

• HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#14 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 08:28 PM

Bill, you're a good man.  Someday that boy will stand up and look you straight in the face and say thank you. 

Ben W.

#15 Fabman OFFLINE  

Fabman

• Member No: 3229
  • 257 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 08:58 PM

Ya did good there Bill. You put a sparkle in that boys eyes that he will never forget. :thumbs: