• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JDboy99 OFFLINE  

JDboy99
  • Member No: 39911
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:37 AM

Hi everyone, glad to see a wealth of knowledge being pooled here!

I have a 2005 JD X595 with a 62" deck that keeps plugging up on me. I cut approx 2 acres and have to clean out the deck every second cut. I get a build up of rock hard grass/dirt under the deck that gets so abrasive, as it closes in on the blades, it will actually wear down the tips of the blades. When you cut the grass, you will start to hear the blades slightly contacting something under the deck, and that's when you know to shut her down and clean it out.

It would be ok if a garden hose would wash it all out, but unfortunately a hammer and chisel is required to chip it all out...I'm not exaggerating! ...it is literally like concrete.

When I bought the unit new, we lived in a part of the country where the soil was a rich, black gumbo type compound and never had an issue. Now, in the last two years, we live where the soil is quite sandy. The grass is thick in most spots, but can be thinner in others. Am I picking up that much dirt/sand that it is creating a concrete buildup?

Is this normal?

Getting frustrated!!
  • Texas Deere and Horse and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:48 AM

Welcome to GTtalk JDBoy99.  When was the last time you took the deck off and really cleaned under there?  You may have a build up of old grass clippings so when you get into a thick area the deck can't handle the additional clippings.  Also make sure you don't have any obstructions, like cracked or missing pieces of the deck sticking out.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,796 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:57 AM

Welcome to GTT. Relax and enjoy the site. I've got to wonder it you have a mulching deck setup but not mulching blades or vice versa. You may have to clean the deck real good and treat the inside with a non stick surface. Please let us know how you make out. Good Luck, Rick

#4 JDboy99 OFFLINE  

JDboy99
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 10:59 AM

Thanks Bill!

I've used the tractor since 2006 and never had a problem. Now that we moved, I've had to clean it out every second cut. Something just doesn't seem right about that. It doesn't seem to build up in one area, it's all across the deck. Maybe because of the sandy soil here?!?

Anyone else seeing this?

Any suggestions are much appreciated!!

#5 JDboy99 OFFLINE  

JDboy99
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 11:03 AM

Hey Rick,

Now you have me thinking...

When I bought the tractor new, I complained to the dealer that it seemed to throw a lot of grass and dust out the front of the deck. They gave me a kit that I installed, which consisted of two metal plates that mounted horizontally under the deck and sort of closed out the leading edge where the blades don't contact. It helped with the grass/dust, but maybe that is a mulch kit??

Kevin

#6 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,445 Thanks
  • 3,991 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 11:27 AM

Hi Kevin and :welcometogttalk:

Why don't you clean the deck everytime after cutting. To make this easier, mount a hose connector on the deck and let the sickles (blades) run, when you wash the deck. Maybe that can solv the problem.

Edited by jd.rasentrac, July 06, 2013 - 11:28 AM.

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 12:00 PM

Kevin, that kit you installed may no longer be applicable to the conditions you are now operating in.  Might try taking the kit off and see it helps. 

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 01:42 PM

Welcome to GTTalk. The 595 is a beast! Diesel power! It's good to have another JD owner on here! 

#9 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,802 Thanks
  • 2,202 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 02:51 PM

Kevin, that kit you installed may no longer be applicable to the conditions you are now operating in.  Might try taking the kit off and see it helps. 

Welcome to the site. and try that first, it is a pretty simple option.

#10 JDboy99 OFFLINE  

JDboy99
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 11:44 PM

Thanks guys, really appreciate all the input.

I'm definitely going to take the plates off and see if it helps. I cleaned out the deck again today, so the next cut will be a good test.

Rasentrac, how would I mount a hose fitting on the deck? Would I need to drill a hole in the deck? Hardware? I have a hot water tap in the garage that might work good to give the deck a wash.

Thanks again,

Kevin

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,740 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 04:35 AM

The two plates are the blowout kit for the X series decks. It also aids in collecting clippings when you install a powerflo bagger set up. Removing those should help with the situation.

Take a good look at your deck surface after cleaning it next time. Is the majority of the paint on the underside gone? Is there pitting to the metal? The best way to keep clippings from accumulating is to give them nothing to stick to. A new paint job may be in order at the end of this mowing season.

I highly discourage the use or installation of washout ports on mowers decks. Your mower deck blade spindles have bearings in them. Bearings live off of grease. Water and grease don't mix.

#12 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 04:48 AM

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like folks are giving some options to try!

#13 JDboy99 OFFLINE  

JDboy99
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 10:47 AM

Thanks everyone for the great tips... I will remove the plates today, sharpen the blades, and see what happens.

The paint on the underside is almost gone in the blade areas, so a complete sandblast and powder coat might be the answer come winter.

Cheers!

Kevin

#14 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 12:35 PM

Thanks everyone for the great tips... I will remove the plates today, sharpen the blades, and see what happens.

The paint on the underside is almost gone in the blade areas, so a complete sandblast and powder coat might be the answer come winter.

Cheers!

Kevin

Howdy from just up the road... I wouldn't power coat the underside. once you get a chip in the paint it will just peel. Use a good paint and then u can just give a light sanding and touch up when it needs more paint..  powder coating the top is fine though.... 

• JDboy99 said thank you

#15 JDboy99 OFFLINE  

JDboy99
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 12:54 AM

Great tip on the powder coating...def something to consider!

I spent 1/2 hour on Sunday afternoon cutting some grass, but not enuf yet to see if there will be a difference.

Saturday will be a few hours spent mowing and then ill remove the deck and hopefully no concrete under there!!

Thanks all!!