• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 05:26 PM

As of right now, the only useable welder I have is my little 110V MIG. I am getting an engine driven welder from my Uncle Kevin (HERE), but all I have right now is the engine block. I either need to rebuild the engine, or find another. I have no idea when I am getting the rest of the welder and engine parts, but in the meantime I am looking for a replacement engine.

A few of you have been following my PK dump tractor build (HERE), which is currently on hold until I figure out how I can weld it together. I told my Uncle that it was on hold, and a day later he called me and said he found somebody to let me borrow their welder! I asked what it was, and he told me it was one of the Lincoln Tombstones, I then had to break the news that I do not have a 220V outlet in my garage. After a second of thought, I decided I could run it off of a generator. So, I made the trip to his house, which is almost an hour one way, to get the welder. When I got there I first wanted to see if it was a DC welder, which it was not. Although it was not DC, I did not want to pass up an opportunity to borrow a good welder. Since I do not have a stick welder, I had to stop and get a box of electrodes. When I got home, I wanted to run a few passes, so I went to borrow Neighbor Dave's generator, and we saw that it had the wrong style plug. Also, the generator is only 30 amps, and I really need 50 to run the welder. So now, I have a welder sitting in my garage taking up valuable space.

I called my Uncle to tell him of the set-back, and he reminded me that another uncle (also Kevin, we can call him Kevin D) is a master electrician, and could put an outlet in my garage without even thinking about it. Next problem... Uncle Kevin D lives hours deep into Long Island! Uncle Kevin C then told me that Uncle Kevin D is coming up on the 20th for my cousin's graduation party! So, when Uncle Kevin D comes up I will see if he can put a 220V outlet in my garage. Then, I might be able to finally get some welding done! The only downside is that I have to wait two weeks, but that is my only option at this point.

• jd.rasentrac and JRJ have said thanks

#2 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 05:55 PM

When it rains it pours. One problem after another.

Dick

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,748 Thanks
  • 7,519 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 06:01 PM

Talk to him ahead of time. He may need to bring some materials. Good Luck, Rick

• HDWildBill said thank you

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 06:08 PM

Talk to him ahead of time. He may need to bring some materials. Good Luck, Rick

I tried to call him earlier, but I did not get an answer. Today is also his birthday, so he is probably busy.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,569 Thanks
  • 29,820 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 06:29 PM

You only need 50 amps to power it if you are running the welder at maximum power, which you surely aren't.  You should be able to run it up to 150 amps easy enough off your genset.

#6 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 07:16 PM

A lot of guys run them off dryer plugs at 30 amps. olcowhand is correct

#7 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 07:27 PM

I thought it would work at low amps, but I was not sure. Either way, the outlet on the generator is different anyway, as is the outlet for my dryer.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 08:06 PM

I think the standard welder plug is 50 amps but most won't draw that even at max amperage. You should be fine at 30 amps. Worst case is you start to trip the breaker but that's not likely on most jobs.  An alternative to waiting would be to build an adapter cable to take you from the 30 amp generator outlet to the 50 amp welder plug. It would cost a bit unless you had the plug and socket already, but it would be a handy thing to have if you ever need to power a welder from a generator. 

#9 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 08:34 PM

OK young man, after gleaning the posts here I say that the recommendations are correct. I would make the adaptor to run off the genset as  recommended. That adds options to your life. As was said the welder needs 50 amps at max power. Using it at less than max takes less amps input. We run 50 amp welders on 30 amp breakers every day in my shop and don't have problems so go for it.

Kurtee

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 09:49 PM

Ryan i will not argue that DC is an asset. But there were untold thousands of those AC tombstones sold and used.

The AC tombstone my dad bought in 1965 is in my brothers garage and still running great. Never knew we were missing out on anything ?? they will weld. Bet my life on things welded with that AC unit for a goodmany years.
Tractor parts, loaders backhoes, dump trucks. drive shafts in cars. I saw a lot of stock cars built with them back in the 60s & 70s.
  • Kurtee and boyscout862 have said thanks

#11 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,707 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 12:04 AM

Ryan, Is the dryer plug close to the shop? If so, take an old dryer cord and use the appropriate welder receptacle, bingo, a custom adapter. No generator or fuel required. :thumbs:

#12 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 05:18 AM

Hmmm! Need 220 coming into garage or house to be able to put in that outlet. If you have breaker box, get the breaker, some 8 gauge wire and the wall mount socket and put it in!  Not all that hard really.  I have met contractors who use TWO 110 outlets, but running single 10 gauge wires from the hot side of the plug in only, just that one side and sticking in the wire there. Outlets need to be on seperate circuits tho, not in tandem or so-on.  Then the other end of the wires are just wrapped around the plug of appliance as needed. You don't get the Nuetral tho with this set-up. 220 is just two 110 lines, with no Neutral used. This isn't greatest set-up and really might be dangerous on that big of amp draw, but was kind ingenious when I saw it and asked about it.

#13 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:38 AM

Ryan i will not argue that DC is an asset. But there were untold thousands of those AC tombstones sold and used.

The AC tombstone my dad bought in 1965 is in my brothers garage and still running great. Never knew we were missing out on anything ?? they will weld. Bet my life on things welded with that AC unit for a goodmany years.
Tractor parts, loaders backhoes, dump trucks. drive shafts in cars. I saw a lot of stock cars built with them back in the 60s & 70s.

Exactly

I have used more AC than DC. There are certain rods that need DC reverse and such but for general all around welding the basic 6011 in 1/8" works well. Just buy quality rods and keep them dry. Clean the rust and paint off before welding and have at it.

I have attached a picture of a trailer I built using AC and 6011 rods

Edited by Kurtee, July 06, 2013 - 09:47 AM.

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,569 Thanks
  • 29,820 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 11:13 AM

for general all around welding the basic 6011 in 1/8" works well. Just buy quality rods and keep them dry.  

6011 is what I use for 80% or more of my welding.  Then 15% 7018, and possibly 5% nickel or stainless.

#15 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 03:51 PM

Next time I am close to Home Depot I will stop in and check to see how much it would cost for me to make an adapter. I went by today, but forgot to stop in.

Bmerf, The dryer plug is not close to the garage at all! It is in my basement on the other side of the house! Although, there is a window next to the dryer I could put the cord through. I would still need about 50 feet of cord to reach the garage though.

GL, I probably could put one in, but it is not a chance I want to think about taking. I don't know a whole lot about electrical stuff, so I will leave it to my uncle.

Kurtee, I know that I do not really NEED DC, but I would like to have it. It would give me more possibilities, and I would be able to use more electrodes. The first rod that comes to mind (that I could not use) would be the 6010; and the digging arc of a 6010 would be very nice if I ever have to weld something that has a lot of rust on it, and I am not able to get a grinder in to clean it off.