Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,167 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 01:28 PM

I am at a loss on getting this solved.

I have put on new solonoid,New key switch.Checked for good ground.Checked all safety switches,they wer all jumped around when i got the tractor.

By the wiring diagram everything is hooked up correctly.I can get it to turn over by jumping across the solonoid..Any suggestions will help.

my ohms meter is not much help to me as i do not know where to do a thorough check.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 timtractor OFFLINE  

timtractor

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4824
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 01:31 PM

I would check the jump wire for what was the safety switch for the variable/hydro lever.

#3 IlovemyCub OFFLINE  

IlovemyCub
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 33704
  • 171 Thanks
  • 204 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 01:32 PM

I would say  something went wrong in the wiring. I have  a Cub Cadet that did that. Its turns out it was the ignition and something went wrong in the wiring. Good luck! Ian.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 01:59 PM

The solenoid likely has to have a good ground at it's base.  Is it grounded well there?  

#5 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 02:03 PM

I have to agree with others...check all the grounds and make sure the solenoid is also grounded.....If the solenoid has 2 small posts, one of them must be grounded, otherwise, it is grounded through the solenoid mount.

#6 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 02:10 PM

Does the seloniod click? Check the seloniod by jumping from the battery to small terminal and see if clicks, if does and the starter doesn't spin then the seloniod is probably bad. Just because it clicks doesn't mean it's good.

#7 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 02:10 PM

Here's the flow chart to check things out to eliminate things and not guess..  

PM sent..

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, July 05, 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#8 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,167 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 02:20 PM

Click here is not working

Back outside to do some more troubleshooting.been in and out all day between the rain

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 02:33 PM

I use an old automotive remote starter switch to test the solenoid and starter. If they don't work, there is your problem. Check that the bendix isn't jammed into the flywheel. Good Luck, Rick

#10 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,167 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 02:45 PM

The starter

I use an old automotive remote starter switch to test the solenoid and starter. If they don't work, there is your problem. Check that the bendix isn't jammed into the flywheel. Good Luck, Rick

the starter will turn over jumping across the solonoid.I believe it is in the wiring some where i am over looking.I have the covers off the wires are all showing.I seem to have a good ground every wear i have checked

Edited by new restorer, July 05, 2013 - 02:47 PM.

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 03:48 PM

what kind of machine is it? I have a Murray and it pops a fuse about twice a year and everything is dead until I replace it.

#12 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 06:08 PM

Check for power to a trigger wire to make the solenoid work as it should.  You should read 12 volts positive at it if all the switches are right. 

I always check power through the wires, since continuity is sometimes there when actually voltage will get dropped.

Ben W.

#13 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 06:51 PM

Just to be different, I'm going to guess "wrong replacement switch".  Did you verify that the new switch has the same internal wiring as your original one?

If so, hook a volt meter to the battery (other volt meter lead goes to ground in all steps) and turn the key to START. If the voltage isn't 12vdc or more, you have a battery problem.

Next, hook the volt meter to the small terminal of the solenoid and turn the key to START. If the voltage isn't 12vdc or more, you have a wiring problem in your safety circuit.

Next, hook the volt meter to the large terminal of the solenoid that comes from the battery and turn the key to START. If the voltage isn't 12vdc or more, you have a wiring problem between the battery & the solenoid.

Next, hook the volt meter to the other large terminal of the solenoid that goes to the starter and turn the key to START. If the voltage isn't 12vdc or more, you have a solenoid problem.

Next, hook the volt meter to the terminal of the starter and turn the key to START. If the voltage isn't 12vdc or more, you have a wiring problem between the solenoid & the starter.

If that doesn't work, post your results & we will try again.

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, July 05, 2013 - 06:51 PM.

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 07:56 PM

As well as the above things I'd suggest looking very carefully at all the crimp on connections. When they get bad connections they will heat up and sometimes melt or discolor the plastic on the connector. Once you've seen one do this you'll always be on the look out for them.  

#15 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,167 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted July 09, 2013 - 05:19 PM

Still no luck with getting the starter to to turn over.I am beginning to think that in the first picture is my problem.The safety switch does not show any continuity..One side just goes to ground the other has the 2 wires .The extra ground wire i put there just to make sure i had a good ground.In my wiring diagram as you can see in one picture i have a red plug does not go to anything.also have some other pictures of my wiring.If you notice i do have the ground off of the switch to the engine but it has been hooked up and still does not engage starter.I do have 12 volts going thru both splices of off the safety switches

This is the switch that has a ground out of one side

005.JPG

here is another picture of the same switch

006.JPG

here are some more pictures.The two wires that you can see with the eyelets go to the light switch

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

I will post a wiring diagram also