26 replies to this topic

#1 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 08:46 PM

This is probably going to be a debated subject, but who has the best cut quality over all in your opinion? Personally I would be the black sheep and say ford/ Jacobsen with the cast aluminum deck.  

Pic included. Dad at the wheel of his ford 80.

Attached Thumbnails

• 118.JPG

• twostep, Arti and JRJ have said thanks

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 09:07 PM

... Personally I would be the black sheep and say ford/ Jacobsen with the cast aluminum deck.  

I will toss my hat in the ring for Black Sheep with a vote for my Yardman ET125.  I've mentioned before that over the last year, I've owned a Poulan, J.D., TurfTrac, Yardman, and a Husqvarna.  Hands down, my favourite for ride & cut quality has been the Yardman.

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, July 04, 2013 - 09:07 PM.

#3 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 09:18 PM

I prefer my old 190 Case,, However I believe that a little time spent leveling a deck and maintaining it helps any mower do a good job.

Also  keeping the engine speed up and the ground speed down helps any mower do a good job.

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 09:23 PM

I'd have to say nothing cuts better than a reel mower but if we're talking about Rotary mower decks then I would have to say for Bolens the best cut would have to be the Estate Keeper's With the deck in front the wheels never had a chance to press the grass down which allowed for a cleaner cut

Attached Thumbnails

• ek 10 mow.JPG

• OldBuzzard, Alc and Arti have said thanks

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 10:33 PM

I bet nobody votes for the Wheelhorse [or any other brand] rear discharge decks!   :wallbanging:

#6 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 10:50 PM

Growing up I cut grass with a Gravely 30 inch deck.  Actually, that isn't true now that I think about it.  First, Dad had a push reel mower that he had us kids use.  Hated it.  Then he bought some off-brand gas-powered push mower.  Still didn't care for pushing it around the yard, but it was better than the reel mower.  After I got big enough to pull start the Gravely, he put me to work mowing out-lying areas.  It wasn't the lawn, it was all the places we didn't want to grow up in weeds around the house, like around the chicken house, out to the generator shed/workshop, barn area, around fruit trees and the like.  When I moved into my house, I already had a Gravely and a 30 inch deck, but the cut was kinda rough-not much edging needed to be done, cause it would really get into the corners, but rough.  I tried two styles of 40 inch deck, and that worked better, but nothing to be enthusiastic about.

THEN, I started using my Massey deck.  It does a beautiful job.  I know my neighbors think I'm a little wacky for using such an old mower, but they agree, it does a fantastic job of turning the grass into a smooth carpet.  And it isn't just one Massey that does a great job, both the 8G and the 12H do a such a matched job I can mow in tandem with my sons and you'd never know it was cut by two machines.

• IamSherwood and LYON222 have said thanks

#7 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 11:17 PM

I vote for a Cub Cadet Original with a 38" timed deck. By far,the best cut I have seen.

• backwoods and IlovemyCub have said thanks

#8 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 12:14 AM

Well, I'll add my inflated $.04 to the mix.  Many years ago I had a side job mowing for several real estate agencies.  I used 2 Gravely L's w/30" single blade rotaries.  One I had Gravely's "hog blade" and the other one Gravely's "Crossed X Dual Blade and Adapter System".  The X cut decent lawn nicely.  Kept the blades sharp and kept the RPM's up in Hi range.

I've also had a brand new small early '90's Craftsman 12hp (or so) lawn "tractor" with a twin blade 40(something)" deck.  It cut grass nicely... certain types of grass and at certain heights.  Sharp blades, always sharp blades and wide open throttle.

In '04 I got a JD GX335/48C deck and it cuts grass nicely, certain types of grass and at certain heights.  It cuts best at 2" and my lawn dies.  Raising the deck up to 3.25 (in rainy season like now) the result is poorer cut/but better lawn health.  Wide open throttle and sharp blades.

Higher means "worse results" with all mowers I've had except my Snapper 21's which all cut perfectly up to the total height adjustment.  Air under there is managed far better than any multi blade deck.  48C, not so much and the blade brand/type has little effect on the cut.  Gators will give a better result regarding distribution and size of clippings, but the cut is still the same... higher it goes the worse the cut.

I don't think there's any multi blade deck that can be all things to all lawns of all people, you gotta find what works and go with that combination.  Sometimes it's just a compromise between "wishes" and "whatcha gets".  If you have a "carpet layer" that can do all lawns in all conditions and heights, I sure want to hear about it and that would require a vast portfolio of quality 12+ mega pixel photographs before I'm a believer. :D

Edited by HydroHarold, July 05, 2013 - 12:15 AM.

#9 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 02:53 AM

So many variables! Brand may have the least impact the more I think about it!

#10 GT Man OFFLINE  

GT Man

• Member No: 139
  • 38 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 05:40 AM

I will make a point, just about any brand mower "CAN" do a great job of mowing....IF IT IS ADJUSTED RIGHT! Another factor is if the tractor rpm's are as mfg. recommends. My old 1968 105 Cub Cadet mows better then the brand new "Green" mower I purchased. It along with 3 other green units we purchased NEVER had the decks adjusted, once adjusted they worked great.

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 06:00 AM

I heard ( maybe here ) that some of the decks where deeper and helped with lifting the grass up with the cuttings staying above that .

#12 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 09:10 AM

My Cub 48" deck does a good job and ny JD 54" deck with Hi lift blades does a great job too..  I don't place a premium on cut so much but I just want to keep the lot mowed!

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 12:52 PM

Best mowing machine I have seen were Allis Chalmers with the deep deck. The city of Grinnell, Iowa had a whole fleet of them.
Parks manager told me they were the only mower that would mow dew soaked grass without leaving clumps.

#14 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,668 Thanks
  • 7,686 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 01:39 PM

I bet nobody votes for the Wheelhorse [or any other brand] rear discharge decks!   :wallbanging:

Why do you say this?

#15 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 06:56 PM

I'd have to say nothing cuts better than a reel mower but if we're talking about Rotary mower decks then I would have to say for Bolens the best cut would have to be the Estate Keeper's With the deck in front the wheels never had a chance to press the grass down which allowed for a cleaner cut

:iagree:

The only thing that could made the EK a better mower would have been a hydro trans.

I will say that my Cub Cadet LTX 1045 doesn't do all that shabby of a job.

Of course, I do run the engine 'flat out', and keep my ground speed reasonably low, so that it actually cuts the grass.

You see way too many people that won't run their engine fast enough to get proper blade speed, and then compound that by mowing at a high rate of speed.

When you do that, all you are doing is tearing off the grass blades, not cutting them.  Not to mention the extra wear and tear on the engine because they are lugging it instead of letting it run at the RPMs that it was designed for.

Edited by OldBuzzard, July 05, 2013 - 07:02 PM.

• motobreeder said thank you