• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 11:11 PM

The case deck has the chute built in. Its fixed.

Eric

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2

"Bah!  Foiled again!" 

(There's always the............................ angle grinder!):D

• dropped82 said thank you

#17 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,395 Thanks
  • 1,226 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 10:54 AM

Maybe I should get down there and reform it to shoot up. Talk about dispersing the clippings!!

Eric

#18 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,395 Thanks
  • 1,226 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 10:34 PM

This has been long awaited. I finally have some time to work on my tractors. Its been so long, I forgot what all I had. Anyways here is the 2 pulleys.
uploadfromtaptalk1375932613559.jpg
One on the top is the smaller size from the 38" deck. It measures 1/2" smaller in diameter. That should be enough to get my blades up to 18000 FPM. At least the outside ones will. The H46 deck I'm using has the smaller center blade at only 15.5". It will have the same RPM but will do less FPM if that makes sense to everyone. I'm mounting everything up tonight and will wait a couple more days for some good tall grass. I'm also mounting some "new" blades I have. They still have a really good factory edge on them. I think I was the first to use them.Hopefully I will be impressed! Wish me luck!

Eric

• Alc said thank you

#19 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,395 Thanks
  • 1,226 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 10:42 PM

Also here is the tractor performing these duties. I figure its gonna take some power to handle this job. What's better than a twin Onan.
uploadfromtaptalk1375933348344.jpg

Eric

#20 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 05:44 AM

Can't wait to hear if there is enough difference to make changing worth it .

#21 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,395 Thanks
  • 1,226 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 06:27 PM

Well I finally tried it out. I started the deck as usual at low RPM to keep the stress off the PTO. Raised the RPM up and all I can say is WOW! That thing eats. It mows with no issue at all in low range at top speed. I also made some straight line passes in high range and it never missed a beat. I ran high range at about 2/3 speed. That is moving right along. I had a neighbor come out who has a Simplicity zero turn with a 48" deck. Other than turning around my 226 could mow on par with his ztr. Would it take on a Super Z or big Dixie? I would wonder since the only thing that slowed me was the deck bouncing. I have a friend who mows his 7 acre yard with a Scag. He wants me to bring it over to try it out. He also has a 48" deck with a 27 HP V twin. It'll be a while before I make that trip. I will post a video. The only problem I had was the PTO belt. I was running an aftermarket 5/8" belt. It of course ate it up just before I finished. I managed to mow my front and back in about 40 minutes. I have just over an acre so that's pretty quick. Faster than any other tractor I mowed with. I have yet to see a GT that can mow like this. I would recommend this upgrade. I wonder if those pulleys could still be bought. Also that is the fastest I would go on blade speed.

Eric

• MH81, Alc and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#22 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 10:04 PM

Neat experiment in "Lawn Physics"!:D  I wonder... just mechanically wondering if...  certain speeds over and above "X-RPM" could cause a dangerous harmonic vibration to begin somewhere between the PTO and the blade tips...  Some kinds of harmonics can occur pretty quickly in high RPM machinery and that shredded belt might be the very first clue.  It could be doing a very animated dance under there to the point of failure.  But, in my book, "You are cleared for take off!"  Keep the results coming!!!

• dropped82 said thank you

#23 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,395 Thanks
  • 1,226 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 06:19 AM

I was thinking the same thing. My belt was not a "Case" belt. They don't last song. Case uses 9/16" belts where I was using a 5/8" belt. I've tried 1/2" but they have an even shorter life. Once I finish decarbonizing and adjusting the valves on my 446, I will run this deck with the correct drive belt. The belt I had was already showing signs of where and had some frays. It was only a matter of time. Also the RPM's between the engine and deck are unchanged. Only the blades are spinning faster. One thing to remember is I used a 38" deck pulley. Which means I'm actually only spinning the spindles the same RPM as the 38" deck. With the longer blades the tip speed is greater. The only thing that is different on the drive line is the load on the belt. I can only wait and see of the Case belts will make a difference.

Eric

#24 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted August 15, 2013 - 11:15 PM

. Also the RPM's between the engine and deck are unchanged. Only the blades are spinning faster. One thing to remember is I used a 38" deck pulley. Which means I'm actually only spinning the spindles the same RPM as the 38" deck. With the longer blades the tip speed is greater.
Eric

All of this smacks of "math"!:D

• Alc and dropped82 have said thanks

#25 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,395 Thanks
  • 1,226 posts

Posted September 02, 2013 - 04:54 PM

Unfortunately I haven't been able to use my 446 to mow with. I pulled the heads and am in the process of re-ringing it. Nothing severe but enough to catch it before it gets worse. I did get a new belt for my 226 which is 5/8" again. I don't plan on mowing full time so I went the cheap way till I get the 446 back in action. Mowed again today and was still amazed. Also the belt didn't show any unusual wear. It ran smooth as it should. I'm gonna mark this a win in my book. If anyone can get a smaller pulley, I would recommend it. I mow just over an acre so the extra speed does help. Also the quality of cut is better. The clippings shooting out seem a little finer or maybe its just that they are getting thrown farther. The only bad thing I notice is that I'm getting less "seat time". Its nice knowing that my "old" tractor will out mow anything in the neighborhood lol!

Eric

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

• Alc said thank you