37 replies to this topic

#31 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 01:45 AM

For the older ones without a doubt it would be an IH.  Hands down were built heavier with the Farmall Cub trannies in them.  Built them on the same line at the same time with the differences being the main shaft and the cover on the front.  Any of them that IH ever made were near bullet proof.  Probably why they are the most highly used garden tractor chassis for tractor pulling.  They made a few lack luster models like the 1100, 482, and 582 special.  The most sought after models are the 82 series.  They are the pinnacle of what IH made and are awesome machines.  We have 3 at the farm, an IH built 982 and 782 and a CCC built 782D.  All three are great tractors in their own right.

Having said that there is also a 318 at the farm that mom and dad bought new in 87.  When JD brought that model out is when I think they finally got it just right.  From that model series of the 316, 318, 322, 332, 420, 430 and up till today it would be JD for me all the way.  I think the only model before that thats decent is the 140.  Throw a belt in the mix for a drive and to me it just takes away from what a garden tractor should be.  I like a good old solid drive shaft instead.  Having said that I somehow seem to have acquired a MF12 along the way here. Hmmmmm, not quite sure how that happened.  I may need to investigate that, LOL. 

When MTD bought the Cub Cadet line from IH and turned it into CCC they made good machines for a while.  Up through the cyclops series were decent machines but after that I think the machines slowly went downhill to the point today they are really not that great at all.  Many of them being nothing more than rebadged MTD machines.

So from pre 1984ish I would take any IH hands down.  From then till now it would be a JD.  I'm a die hard IH guy and if I went to the farm today to mow the yard and had to choose which tractor to get on, the 782 CC or the 318 JD.  I have to say it would be without a doubt the 318.  If I had to choose overall though it would be IH, the roots just run too deep and I bleed red not green.

• Texas Deere and Horse, backwoods, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#32 IlovemyCub OFFLINE  

IlovemyCub
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 33704
  • 171 Thanks
  • 204 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 07:30 AM

For the older ones without a doubt it would be an IH.  Hands down were built heavier with the Farmall Cub trannies in them.  Built them on the same line at the same time with the differences being the main shaft and the cover on the front.  Any of them that IH ever made were near bullet proof.  Probably why they are the most highly used garden tractor chassis for tractor pulling.  They made a few lack luster models like the 1100, 482, and 582 special.  The most sought after models are the 82 series.  They are the pinnacle of what IH made and are awesome machines.  We have 3 at the farm, an IH built 982 and 782 and a CCC built 782D.  All three are great tractors in their own right.

Having said that there is also a 318 at the farm that mom and dad bought new in 87.  When JD brought that model out is when I think they finally got it just right.  From that model series of the 316, 318, 322, 332, 420, 430 and up till today it would be JD for me all the way.  I think the only model before that thats decent is the 140.  Throw a belt in the mix for a drive and to me it just takes away from what a garden tractor should be.  I like a good old solid drive shaft instead.  Having said that I somehow seem to have acquired a MF12 along the way here. Hmmmmm, not quite sure how that happened.  I may need to investigate that, LOL. 

When MTD bought the Cub Cadet line from IH and turned it into CCC they made good machines for a while.  Up through the cyclops series were decent machines but after that I think the machines slowly went downhill to the point today they are really not that great at all.  Many of them being nothing more than rebadged MTD machines.

So from pre 1984ish I would take any IH hands down.  From then till now it would be a JD.  I'm a die hard IH guy and if I went to the farm today to mow the yard and had to choose which tractor to get on, the 782 CC or the 318 JD.  I have to say it would be without a doubt the 318.  If I had to choose overall though it would be IH, the roots just run too deep and I bleed red not green.

I agree on that. After the Cyclops I say they started to go down hill because to me they're really cheezy and junk! But, I love the John Deere's too. I've always wanted a 140. But, I'm happy with my 122..and many others. Thanks for sharing that!
Ian

• IHCubGuy said thank you

#33 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 08:55 PM

...I think the only model before that thats decent is the 140...

hmmm... that "decent" part is the bit that I have a hard time accepting. My 140 is stronger, better built, better engineered, and even cuts the lawn better than my old IH 682, and the JD is 25 years its senior... I will say that the Cub was much quiter and the KT was much smoother... but also more thirsty.

Edited by twostep, July 08, 2013 - 11:45 PM.

#34 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 09:37 PM

I would vote for the Cub Cadet.

• IlovemyCub said thank you

#35 MAV OFFLINE  

MAV

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 487
  • 108 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted July 08, 2013 - 09:35 PM

Ummmm     DEERE :thumbs:

• jd.rasentrac said thank you

#36 jdlbz OFFLINE  

jdlbz
  • Banned
  • Member No: 40134
  • 10 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted July 09, 2013 - 11:09 AM

No one has a parts system like john deere! Ive had them all and to be honest none of them have a frame like john deere 300 or 400 series. The attachments for the deeres are a lot heavy duty than cubs. Also if you notice the steel hoods on cubs are always rusted. Cub may have a good tranny but thats about it.i dont like the jd 110 or 200 series but the jd 300 or 400 series are one of a kind.
  • jd.rasentrac and IlovemyCub have said thanks

#37 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 09, 2013 - 01:02 PM

First of all I'm a User not a collector.  I much preferred the older John Deere over the Cadet. The Cadet  gear drive was either too slow or too fast and never just the right speed for mowing. The Cadet Hydro's when they came out  would runaway on hills Trust me that's a thrill!!

The John Deere gave you a varible speed in any gear.  And in my opinion the mowing decks gave a much better cut on the Deere where the Cadets scalped way too much to do custom mowing.

Trust me I've used both doing custom mowing and even worked for an International dealer when the Cadets were just coming on the scene 

For dead weight pulling the Cadet might have an advantage?

But I guess I bleed Green.?

I'll get back on my 318 and shut up now.

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 09, 2013 - 01:05 PM.

• twostep and jd.rasentrac have said thanks

#38 lesmeister OFFLINE  

lesmeister
  • Member No: 30635
  • 185 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 09:55 PM

I have had both, I had a 129 cc hydro and hated it. The forward and reverse lever under the steering wheel is a pain. The john deere 140 has the lever where it should be, on the right side by the dash like the shifter on a 4020. I got rid of the cc as fast as I could, and would not have another hydro cc even if it means mowing the yard with a push mower. JOHN DEERE ALL THE WAY.......
  • twostep said thank you