4 replies to this topic

#1 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,805 Thanks
  • 2,207 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 12:15 PM

As you all know I'm a big fan of doing business local FIRST.

This is one of the reasons; I hit a chunk of steel with my new ariens lawnmower, blew the spindle housing to pieces, and bent the blade. I called the local tractor dealer(guy I bought it from) and asked if he could take it tonight (tuesday @ 5:30) he said bring it down in the morning, he didn't have inside room .I explained I had to leave early for work, so he agreed to find room for me. I got there, we talked as was closing up store, and he said he would look at it wed morning, see what he could do but with the holiday it would probably be next week.. To my surprise when I got home wednesday my tractor was in my driveway FIXED!! when I got there to pay he said ,I was a good customer and that's why he took care of it so fast. I'm sure it had to do with having the parts in stock, and needing the space. But one day service and DELIVERY are part of great a relationship when you support your local business. I know that wouldn't have happened if I bought my tractor from a box store and it was the first time I'd been to his store for service. 

Tom

I'm not against buying things online but I always check local first. I show the online item to my local dealer and see what he can do first. If he is remotely close I buy it from them, they know you have chosen them and they appreciate it. It pays twofold, you help your local economy, and you have gained a good relationship that may help you out in a jam !!

• powerking56, MH81, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#2 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 12:33 PM

Tom, that is very true.  We have a local shop that sell Exmark and Sthil equipment.  But they also work and stock parts for other brands as well.  I get 95% of my parts from them and I have, for the most part , found them to be with in a few cents to just a dollar or two of the price online.  Like you said you build a relationship and it does payoff for both sides.  I can give them a call, and since it is a small shop I know everyone by first name, tell them what I need and if I just need a price or order the item and it's done.  I pay for the item when I pick it up.  If I need a battery and I don't have the old core with me no problem, bring in next time you come.

Recently I got an Exmark LazerZ in for repair.  It had a pretty good parts list well over $300, I'm just a small fry and don't have the resources to cover a parts bill like that, they said no problem.  But the way it worked out my customer has an AG certificate which allows him not to pay sales tax so he just went up and paid them directly. 

Another nice bonus is I can talk to them about a problem I may be having and get advice.  To me everyone win's! :thumbs:

• tinbender7, oldedeeres and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#3 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 04:12 PM

So many businesses are struggling to make ends meet with the internet competition. I try myself to keep things local too. Another thing I miss is these days sales people don't stay on the job long enough to build a relationship with.
  • TomLGT195 said thank you

#4 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 05:57 PM

Most small, local businesses usually try to help you out....Here is another deal.

Today at Walmart my wife asked a clerk in the fruit/vegetable if they had any more oranges, as there were only 3 on display. The lady said, "I don't know, I have been on vacation for a week". She never offered to check in the stock-room....Before my wife walked away, andother customer asked the lady the same question, and she also received the same answer...at least she is consistant, not helpful, but consistant!

Edited by KC9KAS, July 04, 2013 - 05:58 PM.

• HDWildBill and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#5 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 07:48 PM

In all fairness we have a HD, that I have been in and had the employee's bend over backwards to help me.  I had one guy pull down insulation board from the top shelf, help me get it through check and loaded on my truck with out me ever asking anything except if they had any more of the board(s).   I have also been in the store looking at electrical supplies and asked for help and had them really go that extra mile to make sure I had exactly what I needed and no more.  A lot depends on the store manager, although I have been in other HD stores in the area and I did not receive service like that.