Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 19, 2010 - 03:25 PM

serial# 1446 501202

This was my first garden tractor, it's my favorite, my workhorse. I use this in the summer as a backup mower, for leveling the driveway with a home made box scraper, pulls a trailer for cleanup duty's and in the winter as a driveway plow with a home made 4ft. blade.
I got this 7yrs. ago for $100. came with factory wheel weights, sleeve hitch, the original 12hp Tecumseh HH120, +starter generator setup, changed engine 4or5 years ago for a 13hp Honda clone. Aside from replacing all the mower deck bearings once, and getting the seat recovered with new padding I have done nothing to it but use it for what it's made for.
Who ever had this before me used it and took care of it, the front tires look like there original and are bald. This tractor came with the rubber molding still on the fender guards.
This is a real good candidate for restoration, next winter I want to put this back to original with the original engine setup and new paint.

Attached Thumbnails

• Masseys 004.jpg
  • SNOWBLOWER 003.jpg
  • masseys 023.jpg
  • masseys 022.jpg
  • masseys 021.jpg
  • masseys 020.jpg

#2 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted February 19, 2010 - 05:24 PM

Nice, don't you just love how tough these machines are?

#3 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 19, 2010 - 06:11 PM

Yes it's proved itself over the years. You can drive full speed into a snow bank and all your going to do is bend up the blade, I know I've had to bend it back and beef it up a couple of times.

#4 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 633 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted February 19, 2010 - 06:22 PM

Doug...Would love to see how well that 13hp clone fit in there.......I take it you got it from Princess Auto. I used one for my National....great engine.....If my MF10 ever needs a replacement, its good to know how one of those would fit

#5 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 19, 2010 - 06:59 PM

Doug...Would love to see how well that 13hp clone fit in there.......I take it you got it from Princess Auto. I used one for my National....great engine.....If my MF10 ever needs a replacement, its good to know how one of those would fit

Hi another Ont. guy
I've seen your pic of your National Triplex is that an 84? Also saw your massey in the groups section looks good.
Here a couple pics.
When I put mine in I removed the air cleaner cover for clearance and cut the exhaust pipe that came with the engine, welded in a iron pipe 90, notched the grill and the muffler ended up where you see it. You need 1" pulley for the crank, mine is a double, the PTO take off is bigger, speeds up the mower deck which is nice seems to be OK. Haven't had any trouble with it, gives reliable, predictable power. Always needs choke to start even when hot. Disadvantages small fuel tank and weak alternator, turn on lights you drain the battery.

This is a Princes Auto 13hp engine, it is smoother (less vibration), quieter (better muffler) than the HH120s.
I bought this motor new on sale, plus new pulleys, plus new PTO belt (larger size), plus taxes, spent $500. can. total. That much $ goes a long way to rebuild a HH120.
For what it's worth if I had to do it again, HH120 all the way.

Attached Thumbnails

• muffler 004.jpg
  • muffler 001.jpg
  • masseys 024.jpg

#6 Bob P OFFLINE  

Bob P

• Contributor
  • Member No: 79
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted February 19, 2010 - 11:50 PM

Hi DH1, Thanks for the great thumbnail of the blower chute control crank side of the tractor. I will use it as a model for the one I am making. Your mounting bracket for the chute control looks a little different from the one shown in the 620 manual. Did you make it yourself and which of the bolts under the cowl is it mounted on?

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 20, 2010 - 12:36 AM

It is amazing to me all the little details that were actually changed through the years with the same models.

#8 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 633 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted February 20, 2010 - 12:38 AM

Thanks for the pics Doug...yes my National is an 84....I had a 68 also, but sold it to a friend.

BTW, my 13hp Princess Auto engine is the same it seems, always needs the choke to start it.

#9 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 20, 2010 - 08:01 AM

Hi DH1, Thanks for the great thumbnail of the blower chute control crank side of the tractor. I will use it as a model for the one I am making. Your mounting bracket for the chute control looks a little different from the one shown in the 620 manual. Did you make it yourself and which of the bolts under the cowl is it mounted on?

This is the one blower that came with my MF10 it was complete, the chute control is original, it is 2 piece, 1 slides in the other, I made up a little bracket that mounts to the bigger bolts under the dash right by the serial # just for the MF12.

Attached Thumbnails

• mf10 012..jpg
  • Masseys 013..jpg

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 20, 2010 - 09:15 AM

I really like the way the earlier style blowers hook up like the ones that you and Bob posted.

Looks like a great machine you found for a heck of a good price and it is always nice to hear how they prove them selves over the years.

#11 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 20, 2010 - 02:33 PM

This is the engine that came with my MF12Hydra 7yrs. ago when I first got it.
Sold it 3 or 4yrs. ago to another Massey GT guy who has since become a good friend. He was kind enough to sell it back to me with S/G, he had been using it as a test engine for his tractors, Garry if you see this Thanks again.
I can now put my MF12 back to original form.

Attached Thumbnails

• masseys 026..jpg
  • masseys 027..jpg
  • masseys 028..jpg

#12 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 20, 2010 - 08:29 PM

Looks very nice Doug. That $100 was a great bargain... even seven years ago!!

#13 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 20, 2010 - 08:33 PM

Looks very nice Doug. That $100 was a great bargain... even seven years ago!!

This one was the best deal the best overall tractor I've owned.

#14 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 21, 2010 - 03:59 PM

The MF12 with 2 homemade attachments mounted.

Attached Thumbnails

• masseys 036..jpg
  • masseys 031..jpg
  • masseys 033..jpg

#15 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 02, 2010 - 07:50 PM

Spent some time today removed the Honda clone engine and installed the HH120, got it hooked up and running. Still need to do the wiring for the starter/generator and have to get a regulator. This was the motor that came with this tractor but it looks like it's had a short-block put in it at some point, found a tag on the engine. Post pic tomorrow.