10 replies to this topic

#1 jdr86 OFFLINE  

jdr86
  • Member No: 39740
  • 21 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 10:30 PM

Hello,

I've recently acquired an ht23 and I need some advice regarding the u joint used to connect the hydraulic pump to the countershaft.  Its a Johnson loader if that helps.  The ujoint and yokes need to be replaced but I can't seem to locate a source, either locally or online.  Ear to ear (outside) on the yokes is 17/8".  Bearing diameter is 5/8".  The yoke ends are 5/8 round with a 3/16 key and the other end is 3/4 square shaft.  The bearing caps must be a slight interference fit as I don't see any retainers.

Any help would be appreciated.  I want to put this little tractor to work and see what it will do.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,193 Thanks
  • 5,213 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 11:02 PM

HI welcome to GTtalk.

Can you post a photo of what your talking about? I am kinda lost at what your talking about.

#3 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

Case-Closed
  • Member No: 13397
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 11:03 PM

Hi John, it's about darn time you got on the best garden tractor site in the entire galaxy. :thumbs:

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 04:59 AM

Welcome to GTTalk. HT23 with a loader! That sounds like a nice setup. There are a lot of Bolens experts on here and I'm sure they can help you out. 

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,531 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 05:49 AM

Welcome to GTT. Posting the pics will help the guys help you. I also like to check with NAPA about things like this. It is amazing what they have. Other sources that take a bunch of research are https://www.surpluscenter.com/ and http://baileynet.com/. Good Luck, Rick

#6 1967bolens collector OFFLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 648 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 06:20 AM

HI welcome to GTtalk.

Can you post a photo of what your talking about? I am kinda lost at what your talking about

:ditto:

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 06:30 AM

Welcome to GTTalk !   I'm sure  they'll be an answer to your question soon , these Bolens  folks really know there stuff here !

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 06:49 AM

Welcome to the forum! Check my signature for help with pics!

#9 jdr86 OFFLINE  

jdr86
  • 21 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 09:20 AM

Thanks to everyone for your welcome.  Special thanks to case closed for his help.  He encouraged me to join the site after I complained to him about the many "fools errands" I have been on trying to repair this tractor.

I will post some pictures soon.  Boyscout 862 thank you.........I went to the surplus center and ordered one of their ujoints.  The yoke outside dimension is the same, maybe I can make it work.

#10 jdr86 OFFLINE  

jdr86
  • 21 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 09:11 PM

P1000124.JPG

Hello again,

I hope the attachment can be opened.  Its the picture of the drivetrain assembly I mentioned.  I ended up ordering the little ujoint from theujointstore.com.  Should be here any day now.  The picture doesn't show it very well but one end of the u joint is 5/8 round and the other end is 3/4 square.  Thats 3/4 square stock on one end.  I have some 3/4 stock and when the new u joint gets here I will cut to length.

This is the part that connects the pump for the loader to the pulley assembly on my ht23.

1 other unrelated question

-I understand I can use Type F transmission fluid in the hydrostat.  Do you guys recommend that?

Thanks

#11 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 10:22 PM

I recommend Napa's or Tractor Supply's Universal tractor fluid. It's all I use in my HT-23's and other large frames.

Make sure you drain as much of the old stuff out as you can, before adding a different fluid then what you have in there.
And use the proper filter, regular oil filters will fit. But they have a by pass in them which you don't want.
  • jdr86 said thank you