• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 VTXrider ONLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 01:16 PM

Sorry about the other pictures, I just took them down last week.

Here are some at Drop Canvas. I posted them here so you can get better detail by downloading them.
http://dropcanvas.com/mg9ec These are available for 2 weeks here.

I can repost the detailed pictures here if you want. While I have the old girl home, I can take other pictures also.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by MH81, July 05, 2013 - 10:52 PM.

• olcowhand, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 2 others have said thanks

#32 VTXrider ONLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted July 05, 2013 - 10:31 PM

Sorry about the other pictures, I just took them down last week.

Here are some at Drop Canvas. I posted them here so you can get better detail by downloading them.

http://dropcanvas.com/mg9ec  These are available for 2 weeks here.

I can repost the detailed pictures here if you want. While I have the old girl home, I can take other pictures also.

Here is the link back to Photobucket for the detail pictures. I added them back to the old post also. I removed them because I was having trouble with Photobucket. Seems to be working well now.

http://s1287.photobu...sh Hog D4-7 FEL

Also added a video of the tractor running.

Edited by VTXrider, July 05, 2013 - 10:33 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse and sacsr have said thanks

#33 VTXrider ONLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 05:58 PM

Received a ring gear from Scott and installed it today. Scrubbed the inside of the housing as best I could. Rinsed and clean the differential gears although they were looking good. Some new nuts and bolts are in order and will pick them up tomorrow. 

I talked to two different weld engineers about repairing the chipped gear teeth points (4 of them) and both recommended to leave well enough alone. 

The strength of the material may suffer and may end up with the little pieces breaking off. 

I may have it running on Saturday.

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse and sacsr have said thanks

#34 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 11, 2013 - 06:07 PM

Does the ring gear seem to mesh smoothly with the pinion?  I figure the biggest cause was excess play.  Did you have to add shims behind the pinion to get them meshing properly?

• VTXrider said thank you

#35 VTXrider ONLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted July 12, 2013 - 03:46 PM

Does the ring gear seem to mesh smoothly with the pinion? I figure the biggest cause was excess play. Did you have to add shims behind the pinion to get them meshing properly?

I think you are right about the excess play but in order to add a shim, means the transmission has to be completely disassembled and that is beyond my skills. I checked the play in the gears by stopping one wheel and moving the other to see how much it moves. The gear selector is in top gear and the high range is engaged. I get a very small amount of wheel rotation. I then started the engine and watched the gears in motion in second and first gear. Then engaged high range. All seems to be working . Then I filled the gear case with gear lub and installed the shift cover using silicone gasket in a tube, the blue stuff.

This is where I am going to stop until tomorrow AM. If you have any comments, please do so.

Edited by VTXrider, July 12, 2013 - 03:49 PM.

#36 VTXrider ONLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 10:56 AM

Completed the assembly of the D4-7(16). I missed the shifting fork over the gear cluster and had to take the cover off and do over. She is back to her happy self again and loaded on the trailer. I will take more pictures when I deliver it. Leaving the wheel weights off.

Attached Thumbnails

• P71204182.JPG
  • P71204172.JPG

• Alc said thank you

#37 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted July 13, 2013 - 10:59 AM

Good deal!
Make sure she only uses low gear setting and not to "dump" the clutch, especially on an incline or scooping up something.

#38 VTXrider ONLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 02:02 PM

Had a great day delivering the BH and celebrating my grandson's birthday. Picture is of me and the video is of my lovely and favorite daughter Shelly.

Attached Thumbnails

• P71304222.JPG

Attached Files

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse and sacsr have said thanks

#39 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 02:53 PM

Good looking BH your Daughter is using, boy that loader and blade look like they will do the job very well. Just remember the Trans is the weak point of these tractors.

#40 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 03:54 PM

Please caution her to always drive with the bucket low, most especially with bucket loaded.  Even empty, up high can be dangerous.  Looks like she's proud to see the Hog come home!

#41 VTXrider ONLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 05:38 PM

Please caution her to always drive with the bucket low, most especially with bucket loaded.  Even empty, up high can be dangerous.  Looks like she's proud to see the Hog come home!

Thanks for the advice. I will pass it on along with sacsr's advice. I was thinking that was for dramatic effect. With the engine at a high idle, it does not even struggle. The foot throttle is nice for added ground speed. 

I have to thank sacsr, Scott, for his kindness to sell me his recently acquired ring gear. 

#42 VTXrider ONLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted July 14, 2013 - 05:43 PM

Good looking BH your Daughter is using, boy that loader and blade look like they will do the job very well. Just remember the Trans is the weak point of these tractors.

It came with a massive self powered tiller also. I think that will be modified to connect with a cat-0 hitch for the MTD 990. My next project after the Sears loader I am restoring. http://www.mytractor...ad.php?t=364481

Edited by VTXrider, July 15, 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#43 VTXrider ONLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted August 31, 2013 - 10:51 AM

Followup note.

The Bush Hog is running well and having no apparent issues with the transplanted ring gear. My daughter is just delighted having it back, scooping horse crap and moving it to a composting heap for next years garden. She is keeping it inside or covered up outside. Thanks again Sacsr for your kindness for selling me your hard to find part. 

• sacsr said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: transmission, bush hog