• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 03:47 PM

You may remember from last year I bought this bad boy for my daughter on her farm. The rear end (or differential) is binding as if there is a broken gear tooth or maybe a bearing is bad. Looking at the transmission, all gears are in good condition, even the shifting cluster gear (this is what I though may be broken). When rotating the wheel, it will bind in all gears at a certain point but I can rock through the bind but it will then bind in the opposite direction.

My concern is whether it is worth pulling the axles out and finding something I cannot repair or replace. Should I strip it for parts? It has been a great little work horse for her. She loves this thing for some reason. 

Any comments are welcome.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1621.JPG
  • P70303752.JPG
  • P70303762.JPG
  • P70303812.JPG

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 03:52 PM

Sounding like the ring & pinion is screwed up.  If that's all it is, I'd find a good used rear end to put under her.  They are out there, just takes some time.  I'd not strip it for parts.  Even though kinda rare, the Bush hog parts don't command much money when selling.  OH....did you check in both high & low ranges?  I still figure it's the ring & pinion, as the hi/lo is on the pinion shaft.

• VTXrider said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 03:58 PM

Those tires look huge!!! I hope they didn't cause this problem! 

#4 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 04:18 PM

About a 99.999999% chance it is the ring gear. Like Daniel says they are out there, just hard to find. Take the rear end off and check. The cluster gear looks fine from what I saw.

I was considering at one point to see if one of the early cub cadet rear ends would work. From what I understand they were pretty stout rear ends. If it was my gt, that is the route I would try to go. If you get another bush hog rear end, good chance with the fel you will break another ring gear down the road. You have a nice set up with your d4-7. To nice to part.

Let us know what you decide, will try to help you either way.

Edited by sacsr, July 03, 2013 - 04:48 PM.

#5 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 04:37 PM

Sorry, I realized you said the cluster gear did look good.

I have a D4-7 and a T-63 with the rear ends out. I have all the parts including a NOS ring gear. Just got to find the time to do it.
I know of another NOS ring gear. The guy wants $150 for it. I told him earlier i would be willing to pay $100 and he did not take it. I am sure he still has it.

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 04:45 PM

VTX....that has to be the best sliding cluster gear I've seen to date, plus the entire trans looks immaculate compared to all I've seen.

#7 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 04:49 PM

VTX....that has to be the best sliding cluster gear I've seen to date, plus the entire trans looks immaculate compared to all I've seen.

Ditto on that.

#8 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 05:19 PM

Sounding like the ring & pinion is screwed up.  If that's all it is, I'd find a good used rear end to put under her.  They are out there, just takes some time.  I'd not strip it for parts.  Even though kinda rare, the Bush hog parts don't command much money when selling.  OH....did you check in both high & low ranges?  I still figure it's the ring & pinion, as the hi/lo is on the pinion shaft.

I did check hi/lo range. Same thing. I can see the output shaft move when it is binding.

#9 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 05:21 PM

Those tires look huge!!! I hope they didn't cause this problem! 

They may have caused the problem just from the traction. The diameter is about the same as originals.

Note: These tires are smaller in diameter so the front and rear can turn at the same ratio needed by the front drive. They would be fighting each other otherwise.

Edited by VTXrider, July 03, 2013 - 08:17 PM.

#10 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 05:27 PM

About a 99.999999% chance it is the ring gear. Like Daniel says they are out there, just hard to find. Take the rear end off and check. The cluster gear looks fine from what I saw.

I was considering at one point to see if one of the early cub cadet rear ends would work. From what I understand they were pretty stout rear ends. If it was my gt, that is the route I would try to go. If you get another bush hog rear end, good chance with the fel you will break another ring gear down the road. You have a nice set up with your d4-7. To nice to part.

Let us know what you decide, will try to help you either way.

If I went to another rear end, I would lose the 4WD option. The fel is used as more of a wheel borrow than anything else. Scooping horse poop and transporting it to a pile out back. The nice part is the scraper to clean the padock.

#11 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 05:36 PM

Do I have to remove the complete rear end to access the ring and pinion gears? Can I unbolt the axle plates to do that?

#12 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 06:33 PM

Do I have to remove the complete rear end to access the ring and pinion gears? Can I unbolt the axle plates to do that?

Yes, you can pull the axle tubes to get the ring gear/diff set out, but the pinion removal is much more involved.

#13 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 06:38 PM

You know, it could be in the front wheel drive.  Maybe you should drop the drive off the front first to see if the problem is up there.

#14 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • 463 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 06:48 PM

You know, it could be in the front wheel drive.  Maybe you should drop the drive off the front first to see if the problem is up there.

The front drive can be disengaged with a clutch lever. In fact, I told my daughter to not use the front drive unless traction is needed. It seems to put quite a load on the old girl when engaged. The front axle seems to be posi-traction or limited slip. It is nice the front drive can be disengaged.

The binding seems to occur at a longer rotation of the wheel that what the pinion would produce. Hoping it is the ring gear.

Edited by VTXrider, July 03, 2013 - 07:36 PM.

#15 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 07:58 PM

My T-63 had the same type of symptoms, pinion gear looked good, ring gear was damaged. It would catch one way then rotate back the other way catching again. It would rotate all the way around but would catch on each rotation.

I was thinking the axles are bolted to the frame? I guess you could pull an axle tube off with transaxle attached.

Look at the manual regarding these transaxles, I think there is one side that is the better side to pull off the axle tube to get access to the differential.

Hope you get it figured out!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: transmission, bush hog