grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted November 13, 2010 - 06:48 PM

Congratulations on adding another tractor to the herd. I know with your expertise that she will one day be a real show piece. I have no doubt that you will keep us updated as the ugly duckling becomes the beautiful swan.

#17 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted November 13, 2010 - 09:48 PM

Congrats on the Bush Hog Daniel!
Nice wisconsin engine too :bounce:

#18 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted November 14, 2010 - 09:51 AM

DANIEL, thanks for buying the hog and deere. really hated to get rid of both of them, but sometimes you have to have a reality check, and admit that those tractors are going to be sitting out in weather for maybe a lot of years before you get around to them. Better to let someone have them than to let them rot completely.
But, more than that, I really enjoyed our visit. always good to meet and talk with with somebody with both feet on ground.
Come back any time. Will let you know shortly about other item.
Again, thanks and don't be a stranger. GEORGE

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,254 Thanks
  • 28,603 posts

Posted November 14, 2010 - 09:59 AM

Nice project waiting in the wings. Also welcome to any of Daniel's Yahoo friends... the more the merrier. :D

#20 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted November 14, 2010 - 10:46 AM

Congrats dan on the new family member.

#21 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted November 14, 2010 - 12:31 PM

Bringing the JD110 home must have been karma. Ends up someone welded deep in the Bush Hog's variable sheaves to lock them. The JD's sheave & arm will work on the V4-6! Just cut the JD's arm the correct length, then drill mount holes. The sheave diameter is the same. Then, turns out they have identical transmissions, identical in shift pattern & everything! Only difference is the length & bend of the shift lever. One of the V4-6 hubs are busted, but no biggie now, so hanging onto the entire JD transaxle. Will use the JD's rear rims & tires too, as they hold air & are tubed. Weird how things work out without even trying!
If the JD's K241 is good, I'll likely try to sell that off it. Starter is bad, so couldn't get it to fire....turns over too slow. All in all, things are working out perfect on this latest buy! It wasn't a dry run buying from member "dryrun"! LOL

#22 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted November 14, 2010 - 03:13 PM

Have both the ugly D4-10 and the even uglier V4-6 tucked away in the shed out of the weather. Used the FEL to slip them right where I wanted them. On a side note...pulled the K241 out of the JD as it wouldn't crank over fast enough. 2 teeth off the starter drive and starter magnets busted all up. Switched out starter bodies & the K241 lives! Just ran off bursts of carb cleaner, but no knocks at all. Smokes some, but once I get the carb checked out so I can run off gas tank, she may clear up on the smoke.

#23 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 14, 2010 - 07:08 PM

Bringing the JD110 home must have been karma... The JD's sheave & arm will work on the V4-6!...Then, turns out they have identical transmissions, identical in shift pattern & everything!...One of the V4-6 hubs are busted, but no biggie now, so hanging onto the entire JD transaxle. Will use the JD's rear rims & tires too, as they hold air & are tubed. Weird how things work out without even trying!...All in all, things are working out perfect on this latest buy! It wasn't a dry run buying from member "dryrun"! LOL

...On a side note...pulled the K241 out of the JD as it wouldn't crank over fast enough. 2 teeth off the starter drive and starter magnets busted all up. Switched out starter bodies & the K241 lives! Just ran off bursts of carb cleaner, but no knocks at all. Smokes some, but once I get the carb checked out so I can run off gas tank, she may clear up on the smoke.

You must be living right Dan! :thumbs: It's really great that everything's working out so well for you! Congratulations on this most excellent find!

#24 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted November 14, 2010 - 07:16 PM

Sounds like you had an excellent weekend and got some good stuff!! :thumbs:
Peter

#25 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted November 14, 2010 - 07:31 PM

What engine is supposed to be in it?
What does the V4-6 stand for anyway.... does that indicate a 6hp engine?

#26 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted November 14, 2010 - 07:42 PM

What engine is supposed to be in it?
What does the V4-6 stand for anyway.... does that indicate a 6hp engine?

V is for Variable, 4 is 4 forward speeds, and the 6 denotes HP. Supposed to have an HH60 Tecumseh with ring gear starter & charge stator under flywheel. I don't have an HH60 yet. I know a guy with several, but he worships those engines. He's a vintage Troybilt tiller nut. I'll work on him though...plenty of time.

#27 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted November 15, 2010 - 10:03 PM

V is for Variable, 4 is 4 forward speeds, and the 6 denotes HP. Supposed to have an HH60 Tecumseh with ring gear starter & charge stator under flywheel. I don't have an HH60 yet. I know a guy with several, but he worships those engines. He's a vintage Troybilt tiller nut. I'll work on him though...plenty of time.

I'll keep my eyes open for one for ya. Thanks for the break down on the model number.

#28 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted November 16, 2010 - 07:07 AM

Good for you Daniel, getting another Bush Hog and the needed parts on another donor tractor! Kind of cool when things work out like that.

#29 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted November 18, 2010 - 05:18 PM

I know I said it would be some time before doing anything with this V4-6, but I had a few minutes, and you know me by now....can't stay away from any project long. Anyways, the tractor was missing the handle for the variable speed. It uses a handle with a thumb operated plunger to lock the speeds in, just like most other variable speed tractors, like the John Deere, Massey 10's & other garden tractors. But, the handle off the John Deere 110 won't work on the V4-6. The reason I worked on this today was because during repairing a fence behind my shed, I saw the old implement lift handle laying there which came off an Allis Chalmers 410.

This is what I started with:

DSC00124.jpg

So the light bulb went off & to the shop I went....after finishing the fence. Having a mill sure makes some things easier. I cut down the Allis handle, then the inner rod, & bent the rod at the correct spot. I used my mill to cut the slot for the locking rod to slide in. Then I welded a bushing inside the tube, right next to the slot to keep the rod centered & drilled the mount bolt holes. Put the spring & rod back in, screwed the thumb button back onto the rod and finished.

DSC00126.jpg

In the following pic, the handle is just sitting in there, as I'm not going to bolt it in place just yet, but it works great & didn't cost a cent....well maybe a couple cents for electricity!:D

DSC00128.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00125.jpg

#30 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted November 20, 2010 - 09:20 AM

Nice work. Does that match the original fairly well?