Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 10:52 PM

I took off the fender pan to the JD317 I bought up in Idaho a few weeks ago and discovered that the fan is broken in half.  Half of it is still attached to the shaft, and the other half was lying in a bunch of hardened crud in the fan shroud.

How do you replace the fan on these machines?  This one has a hole on the pump side, and it had a nylon wire tie through it.... can you pull them off, or do you have to pull the whole hydro?

Regards,

Smitty

• larryd and JRJ have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 06:10 AM

I think there is a pin in that hole Smitty. My 317 had the rear PTO which was taken off the machine along with the tiller before it went for sale. :(  The fan is different in mine because of that. According to the JDparts site it's a 1/4 x 1 1/4 in. pin (part no. 3 below) in the shaft. It will likely come out hard so some penetrating oil first is probably a good idea and if possible support the under side of the shaft to prevent stressing the bearing in the rear of the transmission.

If you haven't been to JDParts.com yet it has all the parts diagrams and if you register with a dealer you can get cost and availability as well. 

MP4583_________UN01JAN94.gif

• Utah Smitty and larryd have said thanks

#3 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 08:43 AM

If it is the same as my JD314 hydro it comes out easy and you don't to pull hydro

larryd

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#4 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 11:12 AM

I think there is a pin in that hole Smitty. My 317 had the rear PTO which was taken off the machine along with the tiller before it went for sale. :(  The fan is different in mine because of that. According to the JDparts site it's a 1/4 x 1 1/4 in. pin (part no. 3 below) in the shaft. It will likely come out hard so some penetrating oil first is probably a good idea and if possible support the under side of the shaft to prevent stressing the bearing in the rear of the transmission.

If you haven't been to JDParts.com yet it has all the parts diagrams and if you register with a dealer you can get cost and availability as well. 

attachicon.gifMP4583_________UN01JAN94.gif

Thanks, Brian. 

I've been to the site, but find it hard to locate the parts I need on it.  I don't have a parts book, if in fact they even make one, so I guess which section the part is in.

I'll look into registering as a dealer...

Regards,

Smitty

• larryd said thank you

#5 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 11:13 AM

If it is the same as my JD314 hydro it comes out easy and you don't to pull hydro

larryd

Thanks, Larry.  I'm not sure why the nylon wire tie was in the hole... hopefully there's a roll pin I can drive out and get it off.

Smitty

• larryd said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 11:31 AM

Smitty, on JDPARTS.com do a model search for 317. Then select the 317 tractor from the list and you will get a list including sectional, etc. I usually pick sectional and then it brings up the different tractor sections and the diagrams come up when you drill down into each section. I copied that diagram from the site this AM. I'll see if I can send you a PM with some parts info. 

• Utah Smitty and larryd have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fan, hydro, hydrostatic