• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pwombles OFFLINE  

pwombles

• Member No: 7101
  • 200 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 08:51 PM

Everything has been going good so far with the wizard this spring and summer until a couple of weeks ago.I had to replace the clutch disc. Thats not the problem though. Everything went smooth with that. after that was done it had started sounding like there was a slight miss in the engine. Carb adjustments did no good, carb cleaning did little to help too. Then I noticed that I had to push the key in to kill it. That was wierd too since the switch was new late last fall. So I went and got a new switch and installed it and it did the same thing. Cut the connector off and put new spade terminals on and reinstalled and no change.Ifyou tugged the kill wire slightly it killed it, so I ran a new kill wire. NO CHANGE! So I cleaned the points and reset them(also new this spring). NO CHANGE! When it runs it sounds like the governor is hunting slightly. I observed the points working with the cover off and noticed that I lost spark every now and then. Put my spark tester on the spark plug while it was running and it showed it apparently loosing spark every now and then also. I replaced the mag late last fall also. I am at a loss! I dont know what else to do. PLEASE HELP!!!!

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 06:24 AM

Have you verified the mechanical connections in the circuit. In many engines the circuit includes the chassis of the engine. Any mechanical connections that carry current have to be clean and solid to make a low resistance connection. I'm not familiar with this tractor but given everything else you have tried I'd be looking for a bad connection at all the mounting points for points, coil, kill switch wire etc. It could be that you have a bad connection internally in the coil and it's breaking down intermittently. I hope this gives you a few more things to try. Good luck. 

#3 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 06:52 AM

... Then I noticed that I had to push the key in to kill it.... If you tugged the kill wire slightly it killed it, so I ran a new kill wire. NO CHANGE!

Where & which way are you tugging the kill wire? Are you pulling it at the key switch in the same direction as pushing the key? If so, you may have the problem JDBrian mentioned: a dirty mechanical connection at the switch.

So I cleaned the points and reset them (also new this spring). NO CHANGE! When it runs it sounds like the governor is hunting slightly. I observed the points working with the cover off and noticed that I lost spark every now and then. Put my spark tester on the spark plug while it was running and it showed it apparently loosing spark every now and then also. I replaced the mag late last fall also. I am at a loss! I dont know what else to do. PLEASE HELP!!!!

You don't mention the plug(s) and condenser. Have you changed those as well?
  • pwombles said thank you

#4 pwombles OFFLINE  

pwombles

• 200 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 07:23 AM

key switch was new, new spade terminals connected to the switch. sanded the hole that the switch mounts in to possibly help ground. Have replaced the plug twice. condenser was new with the points.

#5 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 02:02 PM

As far as loosing spark, you may want to clean the flywheel and re set the magneto, the shut off on a briggs is to ground the wire, some due it through the key switch, but since MTD uses a plastic dash it has a separate ground , you may want to check it is a good ground. The governor hunting can be caused by a vacum leak at the throttle shaft on the carb, if you can move the shaft side to side ,it's sucking air, Briggs makes a bushing shaft kit for the repair.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#6 pwombles OFFLINE  

pwombles

• 200 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 09:11 PM

Ok, so I replaced the condenser and adjusted the carb a bit and she runs like a top! I also ran a ground wire from the switch to the frame and she shuts off when I turn the key to off!!!! We are back in business!!!

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#7 pwombles OFFLINE  

pwombles

• 200 Thanks
  • 220 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 09:12 PM

You don't mention the plug(s) and condenser. Have you changed those as well?

Thank you for mentioning the condenser. It was apparently defective.