#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 03:12 PM

Have a big tiller off a D series tractor, shaft drive. The shaft pulls out of gear box, PO said kid knocked it out with loader while trailering it. There was a clip on end of shaft and can see groove. I'm thinking it is just round wire like spring clip that should be able to go on shaft, then with little push go into gear in case. I can see the gear and it looks like it is staying in place and not flopping around or lost in case. I can put shaft into it and fits fine, just won't stay in then. PO said I may be able to fish clip out by leaning unit over and using magnet to fish for it. Not much room up in top of case and don't think clip would drop into spot anyway. IF this is a clip that goes on by a snap ring pliers, I won't be able to do anything w/out tear-down. If the round clip, would like to try new one and insert. I want opinions on leaving the old clip in there, wherever it is and hope it drops to bottom of case and stays there OR, even if it got into the gears would think it would grind itself up easily w/out taking out teeth on gears and wrecking more stuff. The clip can't be very heavy at all according to the  looks of slot in end of shaft. I don't yet know what size clip or type was in it, need to find manual for it to see if it has part number at least and picture.

Attached Thumbnails

• Sale stuff 2013-05-18 017.jpg

• twostep said thank you

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 08:33 PM

OK, update!  Splines I thought I saw in hole were just a second needle bearing. No gear in top. SO, whole thing is now torn apart and found the small bevel gear in case at bottom. Didn't find clip at first, but later found, it IS just a standard clip needing pliers to put on/off. I downloaded a manual for it and found the drive shaft u-joint is just supposed to slip over the shaft coming out of the gear case and be pinned. I knocked out the pin, but having hard time getting shaft to come out. I have it soaking, and have moved it a very little bit. Might be heating it, not sure. The splines on shaft gear end are very fine, the gear is not very big, but all looks pretty good shape that I can tell. Will be needing main shaft seals, and upper shaft gaskets/seals and gasket for whole case body. Not sure I can buy anymore, might be making those.  This thing has ONE big chain in it. Lots of little bolts all over the cover and braces and stuff to remove all that. Much easier to work on at least w/out the tin. I can blast and paint all those pieces. Here's some pictures of todays battle.

Attached Thumbnails

• Tiller, tires and Speedex painted 2013-07-02 001.jpg
  • Tiller, tires and Speedex painted 2013-07-02 002.jpg
  • Tiller, tires and Speedex painted 2013-07-02 003.jpg

• MH81 and twostep have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 08:39 PM

Wondering about the pto shaft on this rig. It is fully enclosed in tin cover. the cover has two parts, looks like it should slide longer/shorter, but nothing moves when trying, like the shaft inside it must be stuck?? Or, is just the cover supposed to move to expose one end or something?  You can tell I don't know shafts at all. Looks like in the hooded end, might be a snap ring to take out right behind the U-joint. Will that do anything to release it?  Maybe the shaft is one-piece, and just cover will move?? I don't get it. Must collapse would think to be able to get it on tractor and into the tiller connections??

#4 baerpath OFFLINE  

baerpath
  • Member No: 10928
  • 314 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 09:58 PM

PTO shaft should slide freely

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted July 27, 2013 - 11:44 PM

Update: Been awhile since I've worked on this rig. Decided to get going on it today and put together.  I made a gasket for it and put the main case halves back together. Still need to get a snap ring for the main drive shaft, so didn't put that in yet. All seems to turn right and looks OK. Now blasting some of frame and tin's to get it going back together on those parts.

Very hard time getting the drive shaft apart, but finally got it. It will be easy to slip/slide for length to get on tractor now I hope. I still need two large snap rings for the outer tins on each end.

• MH81 said thank you

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted August 04, 2013 - 11:23 AM

Update!  Tiller is about together again and all painted up. Need to bolt on the tines. They are marked right and left, thought for each side of machine. But, guess some of each on both sides depending on what side of the main rotating part you mount them on?? Hope I can figure them out and look right. Waiting or big snap rings to come for the pto shaft and will be trying to run it. Have mounted on tractor now while working on it.

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 07:56 PM

OK, tiller is all one and had it turning on the tractor some....BUT, appears tractor had a quick coupler on pto shaft and the "quick" parts are all gone off mine and it won't hold shaft in place to run. It wants to walk off right now. I did see three holes in the coupler, for what was probly steel balls that clip into the slot in the shaft end. I had one ball and hose clamp to try to hold it in some and it worked some, but was afraid to run very fast with that set-up.

SO, either need the Horse part # 102975 Coupler Assembly OR a place to look for one if this is a common farm part?  I tried my local Orscheln's and didn't see anything around the pto parts and help there is DUH! when you ask about stuff. Will have to try Toro yet and some farm catalogs I have and see if anything there. It's a smaller spline, forgot to count how many, will have to look. appears to be about 1 or 1-1/4" shaft size.

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,302 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted August 06, 2013 - 08:56 PM

OK, tiller is all one and had it turning on the tractor some....BUT, appears tractor had a quick coupler on pto shaft and the "quick" parts are all gone off mine and it won't hold shaft in place to run. It wants to walk off right now. I did see three holes in the coupler, for what was probly steel balls that clip into the slot in the shaft end. I had one ball and hose clamp to try to hold it in some and it worked some, but was afraid to run very fast with that set-up.

SO, either need the Horse part # 102975 Coupler Assembly OR a place to look for one if this is a common farm part?  I tried my local Orscheln's and didn't see anything around the pto parts and help there is DUH! when you ask about stuff. Will have to try Toro yet and some farm catalogs I have and see if anything there. It's a smaller spline, forgot to count how many, will have to look. appears to be about 1 or 1-1/4" shaft size.

Having a little trouble visualizing. Can you take a pic?

#9 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 01:57 AM

Well Toro site said Unavailable now and parts tree the same. I found disconnects in Catalogs for tractor parts, but seem to be diff splines. There is a 1" shaft with 15 splines on my coupler. I'll try to take pix later. Will try more farm stores and maybe some lawn mower places. I always get the Hard stuff!  The pto shaft has the MALE splines on it, and my coupler is female, kinda opposite of most farm equipment.

#10 baerpath OFFLINE  

baerpath
  • Member No: 10928
  • 314 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 09:12 PM

Sounds like it was frozen and rather than doing it right they beat on the collar and busted it.  I have seen them on ebay before but while your looking for one their won't be one listed.  I have seen them drilled through and a 1/4 inch bolt put through to hold them together

#11 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 08:50 PM

Got a Woods kit and had snap ring a spring and some balls. Course the balls are a hair big to drop in. the holding spring looks ok and the snap ring you pull back on, but is all made to attach from front of coupler and mine doesn't have slot for that. I DO have a rear snap ring to hold orig on that I could adapt to use spring and balls should keep the pull ring from coming off front. Just need to find correct ball size. 3/8" is too big, but 5/16's is too small, needs somewhere in middle. Metric size?  Not sure where to find just the balls. Ace had the fractional size ones mentioned. Bearing shop maybe? Starting to look like I'm wiring it on to show that it runs and will not be any actual tilling action going on! Tired of the BS.

#12 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted August 09, 2013 - 11:50 PM

Tiller works, sort of! Driveshaft coupling I cobbled up doesn't want to hold real well. I tore up a spot in yard that had my new cable just installed 2 weeks ago, Duh!   OH, well, it works. Pushed tractor pretty hard and with no brakes seemed hard to use. Need more "how-to" info for proper use really.

Attached Thumbnails

• wheelhorse brakes 2013-08-09 005.jpg

#13 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted August 17, 2013 - 08:48 PM

Sold the tiller this AM. Got $325 for it. Not a real big price, but worked for me! More Room at the Inn now. Least I won't have to take the tractor and tiller to Portland now. More room for another one on trailer then. Wooo! Hoooo!