18 replies to this topic

#1 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 01:29 PM

Since before I was hired 4 years ago, we have always had this Cushman siting in the back half of our shop. I was told it didn't run because the engine was out of time. I got the engine to run but the low oil pressure light always stayed on so I never ran the engine for more than a few seconds at a time. Much to my surprise my Boss had a few people move it to the front of the shop and let me start working on it. First I started by pulling the gas tank to drain the old gas. It was orange and smelled nasty. Today I found the reason why the low oil pressure light was always on. There was no oil pressure due to the oil pump not turning because the driveshaft for the pump wasn't connected to the distributor like it should have been. Now I need to wait for parts and then I can start putting it back together.

Attached Thumbnails

• P07-02-13_13.17.jpg

• MH81, KennyP, backwoods and 2 others have said thanks

#2 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,445 Thanks
  • 3,992 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 02:28 PM

Looks very interesting! When I saw this pic, I was curious for more and so I found some pics. Now, is this a truckster or a mailer or what type is it?

• farmerall said thank you

#3 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 02:45 PM

what is gonna happen to it when its all fixed??

• farmerall and Team_Green have said thanks

#4 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,574 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 07:21 PM

Trade ya jobs. :smilewink:

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 07:30 PM

Looks like you have a nice project going.  Can you tell us a about the Cushman?  The year, model etc.  When I was 14 I wanted a Cushman Eagle so bad but by the time I turned 16 I ended up getting a Suzuki.

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 07:45 PM

Watch it, now, if you aren't careful he'll end up bringing you all the "old stuff" to fix.  It happened to me, since I was the only guy at one time at a shop that could understand condensers and points.

If you need some obscure part, I do know of a guy who has shelves of Cushman.  He sold me a pile of Clinton parts a few months ago that came from a Cushman dealer buyout.

Ben W.

#7 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 11:19 PM

When I was 14 I wanted a Cushman Eagle so bad but by the time I turned 16 I ended up getting a Suzuki.

Oh Man, so did I!  I used to see 'em in magazine ads... Then I saw the Puch 250 2strokes at Sears and drooled over that because the drool could actually reach it.  I finally got a '58 BMW R-50...  Made the right buy there!

I used to run a 3 wheel cabbed "thing" called a "Humbee" on mail runs for a place I worked.  Anyone know if that was a Cushman product?   It was the most awful claustrophobic experience wheeling that thing through city traffic!  I finally used to disappear on the forklift right around the time the mail run call would come out!

• HDWildBill and farmerall have said thanks

#8 bh115577 OFFLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 05:50 AM

Quite a project you've got there. Some of the parts are getting hard to find but they were good buggies when they ran.

Is that a Jacobsen reel I see under the bench?

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 09:19 AM

Oh Man, so did I!  I used to see 'em in magazine ads... Then I saw the Puch 250 2strokes at Sears and drooled over that because the drool could actually reach it.  I finally got a '58 BMW R-50...  Made the right buy there!

I used to run a 3 wheel cabbed "thing" called a "Humbee" on mail runs for a place I worked.  Anyone know if that was a Cushman product?   It was the most awful claustrophobic experience wheeling that thing through city traffic!  I finally used to disappear on the forklift right around the time the mail run call would come out!

I had a buddy who had a R-50, he would let me ride it once in awhile.  Once you got use to the drive shaft, coming from a chain drive bike, it was quite a nice bike and very, very comfortable.  He had megaphones on it and it sounded pretty good. 

Was it something like these?

Humbee.jpeg    Humbee2.jpeg

But I think I would have preferred this:

Humbee3.jpeg

#10 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 01:09 PM

Looks very interesting! When I saw this pic, I was curious for more and so I found some pics. Now, is this a truckster or a mailer or what type is it?

This is a truckster. We have the dump bed for it in the back of the shop also.

• jd.rasentrac said thank you

#11 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 01:11 PM

what is gonna happen to it when its all fixed??

We will use it for hauling the heavy loads that our Club Car Carryalls can't handle and it also has a core loader that loads the cores into the bed when we airefiy the greens in the fall.

#12 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 01:15 PM

Looks like you have a nice project going.  Can you tell us a about the Cushman?  The year, model etc.  When I was 14 I wanted a Cushman Eagle so bad but by the time I turned 16 I ended up getting a Suzuki.

It is a Cushman truckster, made in the mid to late 90's. It has a 22hp opposed twin engine, I believe the engine is an OMC. It has a 3 speed manual trans and also has an aux. trans for hi and lo ranges.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#13 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 01:18 PM

Quite a project you've got there. Some of the parts are getting hard to find but they were good buggies when they ran.

Is that a Jacobsen reel I see under the bench?

This is just a small project that I'm happy I can work on finally. It will be nice to have another heavy duty cart to haul stuff with. Yes that is a Jacobsen reel under the bench. I work at a golf course and that one is moslt likely a spare for the greens mower or it may be for the tee mower.

• bh115577 said thank you

#14 bh115577 OFFLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 05:26 AM

We've got a few of those extra reels kicking around our shops too. What course are you at?

#15 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 08:45 PM

We've got a few of those extra reels kicking around our shops too. What course are you at?

I work at Fort Cherry Golf Club. It's a small 18 hole public course. Do you work at a course or do you do the service work on the machines?