#16 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 12:58 AM

It is known the Cadets Used the same rear as the big Cubs, which were first then. Just wanted to say that the later lowboys with square bodies aren't much diff than the smaller ones  in design I guess. Really, I'm just FOS! :D  The GRILL is not the problem on these, it is the SHELL around it, that is Fiberglass that is broken. Each model has diff shape too. I was aware of that guy from past, but haven't checked him out in long time. Maybe things are diff with him now. I do know He's not cheap!

#17 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • Member No: 11338
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted July 04, 2013 - 08:34 PM

I got the Low Boy home.  For a sight unseen e-bay purchase it appears that I came out pretty well.  I went over it today to make a list of what it need.  I came up with:  Fix or replace grill shell..... new seat.... fix throttle (it is very stiff and will not allow the tractor to run more than about half throttle)...... Adjust deck as it is not going but half way down..... Now for the big one, it has some blow by in that there is a little smoke coming from the oil filler port when under load.  I will need to do a compression check on it to see how the motor really is.  I can understand now the issue of them having little power, BUT I am not sure how much affect the throttle issue and the blow by is having on power.  It is not nearly time for a power test to compare to the JD/PK yet.  The tractor is in dire need of an oil change so that will happen as quick as I can get a filter for it.  My intent is to wait until toward fall and tear it down for a complete clean up and repaint.

Photos attached.

Attached Thumbnails

• yellow one.jpg
  • yellow two.jpg
  • yellow three.jpg

• olcowhand, Alc, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#18 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:32 PM

That looks good enough I would leave in work clothes an just touch it up a bit.
Good buy.

#19 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 06, 2013 - 09:39 PM

That looks to be in pretty good shape! I think I would just fix what needs fixing and work it!

#20 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 10:42 AM

At $1400 purchase price, you are in great shape.  It would go a few hundred higher at least in my parts.

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,296 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted July 07, 2013 - 05:06 PM

Yeah, she's a looker... I hope the little things you run into are easy/cheap fixes.

While you have it apart, It might be a good time to go an extra step or two and change the clutch and rear PTO bearing if they need it. At least inspect the clutch for any signs of damage as it "Placement" (just south of the Family Jewels) leaves something to be desired IMHO... Especially after seeing how much damage a failed clutch disc can do.

It looks like most all the panels and safety stuff is there, just keep the shields in place.

#22 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted July 10, 2013 - 04:27 PM

That looks much nicer than I was thinking it would be for the $$. I also vote to just fix the stuff needing work and using it as is. Don't think I would even worry about blow-by right away. Maybe some oil additives or Mystery Oil or some such thing will clean and seat rings better and run better.  Sea Foam or B-12 in gas for a few tanks might help. Pretty nice rig!  I like it better than a PK now after seeing it. Bigger tractor too, more comfortable than the Pk with steering wheel where it belongs, ha!

#23 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted July 21, 2013 - 10:28 PM

I have now changed all of the fluids,,, they were all full.  I have bought a new seat for it and will be putting it on tomorrow.  I have also been able to run it a couple hours mowing.  It does a really nice job of cutting in fact better than my zero turn.  BUT, I am going about half as fast on the low boy so it should look better. The lack of power is an issue so I borrowed a compression gauge and will be checking it out later in the week.  It may well need a valve job or rings and if needed will get them this winter.  I really need to get the blow by under control as it blows right in my face.  I did a little measuring and found the cub measured from the front of the front tire to rear of rear tire to be 2 or 3 inchs longer than my 2418 pk.  The height of the tractors at the top of the hood appear to be almost exactly the same.  Because of the design the cub looks longer and lower but it is not true, side by side they are very comparable.

You guys have made several suggestions about just leaving it alone and driving it instead of a repaint.  What I am thinking is that I will agree with you and just use it UNLESS I have to rebuild the motor.  If i have to take the motor out I will just take it the rest of the way apart and clean and paint it.

Thanks for the kind words about the deal I got on it and liking its looks.  I am pretty pleased with it myself and had a chance to sell it already. As for now it is a keeper.

#24 braxx OFFLINE  

braxx

• Member No: 7898
  • 20 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 11:45 AM

Buggyman, thank you for the update.
I've been into larger garden tractors (Case / Ingersoll 400 series) but I want to step up to something a little larger but I don't have the room or need for a full size tractor.
I'm thinking a PK or lo-boy might be my next toy.
Is one or the other easier to get on and off of?
I'm sure you are use to the offset steering wheel on the PK but does the more centered steering wheel on the lo-boy seem better or more natural?

Sent from my S3

#25 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted July 24, 2013 - 09:46 AM

I anticipated that the low boy would be a lot easier to get on and off of than the PK but it is not true.  The cub is a bit lower But the way the foot decks are configured they are narrow like a pk, when you step up you are unable to rotate your foot to move to the seated position without some maneuvering.  If I had to pick I would say the low boy is easier but not by much.  The offset steering on a pk is a non issue as far as comfort or natural to drive.  It is one of those things that after the first drive you are accustomed to it and don't notice it.  I have in the past driven farmal A's and B's and did not like the offset seating on them at all but on a pk with just the offset steering I don't mind it at all.  It seems to me that nearly every tractor I have driven the requires mounting from the front is a pain to get on and off of.  As a kid we drove Oliver tractors.  All of them we mounted from the rear and were very easy to get on and off of compared to most tractors.  In fact I still have an oliver 60 that my dad bought in 1947 as his first tractor

#26 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 855 Thanks
  • 567 posts

Posted July 25, 2013 - 11:29 PM

If you don't mind me chiming in about the ergonomics, I will say the offset steering was a concern for me as well at first before I got mine.

I was actually pretty concerned that I would end up hating the feeling and that it would never feel natural because to be honest, I'm pretty picky about things like that. After I got the tractor, that completely changed. Not ever once have I driven it and thought, this feels odd. I have completely forgotten about it and don't notice it ever. Trust me, if it is that way for me, than it will be for you, lol.

It is also not the most friendly machine to get on and off in a hurry either. Once you're in (actually it feels more like you're on), you're on. If you appreciate the tractor enough, you will work around the issue.

My $.02c.

Edited by Austen, July 25, 2013 - 11:32 PM.