• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • Member No: 11338
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 10:28 AM

I own a PK 2418 that is sweet.  It starts, runs, and drives great.  In addition to it I have just purchased a Cub Low Boy 185 which is also an 18 hp tractor.  I have not yet driven the low boy as I will not get it home until after the holidays.  I know that the Low boy is heavier in that it weighs 1400 lbs, but my pk has fluid in the rear tires so they may be close in weight.  I have read many times that the low boys are really handy BUT are under powered and just as often read how strong the Pk pulls for its size.  Well, the test is about to occur!  The tractors were obviously competitors in the marketplace so I think it will be interesting to see which I like the best.   I did buy the cub as a restoration project so before any real hard work will be checking out the engine, trans, clutch etc. to make sure it is running its best also.  Do you guys think that there will be a significant difference.

Attached Thumbnails

• parade JD.jpg

• Traill95, Jack, jd.rasentrac and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 10:41 AM

Paint the PK orange again and it will win for sure! Only kidding of course!

I think this will be a very even match up! I think it will come down to the weight though; the PK will loose traction before it runs out of power, if you could weigh down the PK to also weigh 1500 pounds I think it would be a clear winner.

Edited by Ryan313, July 02, 2013 - 10:41 AM.

• Traill95 said thank you

#3 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,668 Thanks
  • 7,686 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 11:10 AM

I'm surprised. I thought the Cub engine had much less power than that. Someone on here just quoted 9 point something the other day. Everything else being equal, I would say it comes down to gearing.

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 11:31 AM

The 185 is rated at 14hp per Tractor Data. The 154 is also rated at 14HP. The Red 184(latest model) is rated at 18 this is all PTO Hp.. As far as pulling power the advantage goes to weight and tires.   That being said that little liquid cooled engine is smooth and reliable.

My neighbor mows his lawn with a 154 and it is one nice mowing machine and does a beautiful job Even if I'm not fond of Yellow.

I've  thought I would not mind having a 184 in red though. However they are either beat to death and/or commanding prices  that makes the Japanese imports far more attractive in my area.

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 02, 2013 - 12:00 PM.

#5 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 12:06 PM

I don't know that I got a great deal but this 185 I just bought I paid $1,400 for.  It looks good (no dents or bad rust) except for a broken grill shell, and seems to run and mow fine.  The only issue with it is that when first started it smokes but quits in about 10 seconds.  So there is the story on it.   Both of the tractors have 60 inch mowers so I should get some feel for a power comparison just mowing some heavy grass.  I am not sure but I believe the gearing is very similar in both.

Once I get it repainted and the bugs out it should be a good garage mate for the JD/PK.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 12:25 PM

My FIL had a Low Boy. It was the most gutless thing I have ever driven. 61 cu inch engine, if I recall correctly.

I'm sure it needed a valve job, but it's pretty bad when you can't mow uphill, have to drive to the top and mow down because it doesn't have enough umph to move itself a mow a lawn.

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 12:50 PM

My FIL had a Low Boy. It was the most gutless thing I have ever driven. 61 cu inch engine, if I recall correctly.

I'm sure it needed a valve job, but it's pretty bad when you can't mow uphill, have to drive to the top and mow down because it doesn't have enough umph to move itself a mow a lawn.

I would guess it was tired. I know my neighbor is probably mowing in 2nd or third up hill and down and though it is 1/4 mile away I don't hear it pulling down any. They are not a powerhouse but do what they do, do well.

I hear my other neighbors 100 HP MM on LP pull down more on the hills.

#8 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 02:07 PM

The Later Cub Lowboy's are just big garden tractors really. They use the same geared rear-end as the little cubs. Some had the clutch on back before rear-end and were weak or problematic area. Think the red ones had clutch moved back to engine and were better. My neighbor had one with loader and mowed many times a month. He sold loader, not liking it and not needing it really. Those grills were fiberglass and always are broken. There isn't anyone making them far as I know, and you will have to fix what you can on it. The 154 is worst on the grill. There is no bumper on front and the grill hits stuff first. I have only heard underpowered ones were the old-time red ones not the lowboys. They look like the garden tractors of time with controls and dash and are easy to run and see around. Better than a PK????/  Hmm....... Can't decide, but if you like green/yellow, why not by a Deere? Ha!  Cub gonna be green/yellow too then?  Yours does look nice tho, did nice job with paint. I should talk, I've used yellow/red on some of mine and not orange. I like to be different and not have same as the rest of the fellas. You can see orange ones all day long, but not many in diff colors.

#9 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,575 Thanks
  • 917 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 07:30 PM

A Guy in Ohio makes the grill and sells parts for the cub loboys.  The address should be in this post.

http://www.hamiltonbobscubs.com/

• JD DANNELS said thank you

#10 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,575 Thanks
  • 917 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 07:32 PM

When I was restoring a 154 I got a lot of parts off of him and I always had good service.

• _swede said thank you

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 08:37 PM

A Guy in Ohio makes the grill and sells parts for the cub loboys.  The address should be in this post.

That is a good site for anyone working on or restoring one of these cubs.  I have stumbled onto it in the past but had forgotten about it.

#12 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,668 Thanks
  • 7,686 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 08:44 PM

The Later Cub Lowboy's are just big garden tractors really. They use the same geared rear-end as the little cubs.

Or you could say that the little cubs use the same rear end as the big Cub. Which came first?

#13 Buggyman OFFLINE  

Buggyman
  • 42 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 10:46 PM

I will get the tractor home over the weekend and post a photo or two of it as a "Before restoration" photo.  At this time I do intend to paint it back the original color UNLESS I decide to do the 184 color which is red.  Moma likes the yellow and white so that will probably win out.  I have heard so much about the clutch issue on them lately I just hope this clutch is good.  I don't want to get into a major mechanical job on it... at least until winter.  Thanks for the lead on a grill.  I will have to take a close look at the one on it and see if it is worth fixing.

For those who followed an earlier post of mine about my Haban sickle bar mower.  I finally got back to it and constructed some mounts so that it mounts easily on the 2418, (the mower was made for the 16 series).  All the bearing are good in the mower as well as the sections and guards.  I am having it sandblasted in the next few days and then I will paint and mount it on the JD/PK.

The attached photo was taken a couple week ago at the Russellville, Missouri  FROG LEG FESTIVAL.  It also hosted a tractor and car show.

Attached Thumbnails

• frog leg tractor.jpg

#14 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted July 02, 2013 - 11:48 PM

That Guy is about 2 miles from me. I never heard of him before. Small world.

Edited by Jack, July 02, 2013 - 11:48 PM.

#15 Dave Central NY OFFLINE  

Dave Central NY
  • Member No: 27835
  • 106 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted July 03, 2013 - 06:48 AM

The original Farmall Cub  was 10 HP in  1947.       The  International Cub 185 Lo-Boy was 14 HP when they came out in  1974.